71 72 Mach 1 Front Bumper

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1 M code 4 speed
1976 Corvette 350 4 speed
I am currently working on the possibility of reproducing 71 & 72!Mach 1 bumpers in fiberglass. Since producing these in the original urethane would be cost prohibitive, my plan would be to reproduce these in fiberglass. They’d have the same look, mounting points and fit of the original. Also, they’d be made with a gel coat finish ready for paint.

I’m looking to the group for your thoughts on this and whether there would be enough interest to justify the investment

Thanks

I would think that an accurate reproduction would very welcomed. It would need to work with the original mounting hardware and parts. People are paying $400-$700 for a repairable OEM core. How many orders would be placed is impossible to predict. The number of people restoring these cars is growing, so demand show grow as well. Just my opinions. Chuck

I've often wondered why someone hasn't rolled up their sleeves and made a good repo. The fibreglass idea seems a natural. Of course, the mounting framework is the more involved part. Having it made of fibreglass doesn't freak me out, as far as front end safety is concerned, the bumpers on our '71-'72cars are not very protective, kinda more for looks. The '73 is at least , more substantial. Having said that, I really think the chrome front bumper is more attractive, like on the Grande' and Boss cars, however, I will keep my '71 as is, just to be correct.

As a 73 owner, I feel personally attacked and left out. :D
If you're gonna do 71/72, do a 73, too.
There is already one available for the 73!

It's a great idea as especially for the 72 it would save quite a lot of front end weight.

Hey Gold Rush,
In 1968, my Dad bought a drag hydro plane. Dad removed the blown Chrysler, along with the name and racing numbers, and converted it into our family ski boat. And........guess what we named it......

Attachments

• gold rush.jpg
    gold rush.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 0
Not available for any 71-73 with urethane bumpers, only 71-72 chrome or painted steel.
I'm sure there was one available but it was probably 10+ years ago. Just checked US Body, they do a rear one, complete front ends for race cars & also hoods.

I don't do FB, so does anyone out there have another way of getting info on that bumper Not A T5 refers to?

But I'd do a fiberglass repop if available.

Last edited:
I don't do FB, so does anyone out there have another way of getting info on that bumper Not A T5 refers to?

But I'd do a fiberglass repop if available.
That was 10 months ago yesterday that he posted that. It might be gone, but that seems kind of steep, so who knows.

@Gypsyironworks I’m not sure Polyurethan is that expensive vs gel coat + fiber + polyester.
You need for a good repro to build a two piece mould in polyester before be able make one. But after that polyurethan is more easy and only a matter of pouring it with little handwork. Over here I’d be more or less 50 dollars to pour one, assuming 3 liters would do per piece. Unless you’d buy large quantities, fiber, gel coat and polyester would be just $10 cheaper.

@Spike Morelli I also wonder why it’s not been done yet. I know I’d try, but not having an original to make the mould. I’ll prolly modify the rusty chrome bumper to look like a polurethan one and paint. Unless the above plan sees the light.

Back