Valve cover repaint help

blkulis

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
I am repainting my stock 72 valve covers. I am having them sandblasted. Do I need to use a primer (high temp) or can I just shoot on the Ford Corporate blue from my rattle can????

ccijwright

Reaction score
My Car
1996 Cobra Convert
1973 Mach 1
I am repainting my stock 72 valve covers. I am having them sandblasted. Do I need to use a primer (high temp) or can I just shoot on the Ford Corporate blue from my rattle can????
I shot mine with self etching primer and then ford blue. I really don't think high temp is very important on the valve covers as far as the primer goes.

MotoArts

Reaction score
My Car
'71 Sportsroof
'90 Mustang 7-Up 5.0 ragtop (sold after 20 years)
'66 Sunbeam Tiger Mk.IA
Be careful with sandblasting tin parts.

They will warp.

I chemical strip instead of sandblast, or any kind of abrasive blast for that matter.

Follow up with degreasing, prime and standard paint as cci mentioned above. High heat resistant not required.

Be careful with sandblasting tin parts.

They will warp rather easily.

I chemical strip instead of sandblast, or any kind of abrasive blast for that matter.

Follow up with degreasing, standard prime and standard paint as cci mentioned above. High heat resistant not required.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolverine

VIP Members
Site Supporters
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
Born an I-6, spent the teenage, 20 and 30 years as a 302, but at 40 will reach full potential as a 351C.
OOh...OOh...OOh....me....me....me.....

Never in a million years. A just barely did an acceptable job with my water pump. Not too many drip spots.

Not sure I would sandblast the valve covers. CO2 blast?

Did you take off the emission stickers, if present?