Vinnie’s garage

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And finally the complete floor is in! Now I need to cleanup all the saw dust and move things up to make room downstairs. A few things will be added later like a fence at the front and around the stairs. And the hole will get filled with a metal grid. Oh and I need to make a decent workbench downstairs underneath the stairs. And I have to start getting my Mustang ready for this season (new tyres and probably new shocks)...

aa3c617480376605cc89eb353fa01808.jpg

c6e128e7a03b7e038dd64a72f80a21c9.jpg

1deda4d0c685d100b4e171d330514ccd.jpg

Are those uprights bolted to the walls in any way? If not, or if it's not possible, you need to provide some triangulation between them or the whole deal could collapse.

Are those uprights bolted to the walls in any way? If not, or if it's not possible, you need to provide some triangulation between them or the whole deal could collapse.
No. But the wooden beams along the sides are attached to the main construction (1 metal H-beam either side) with 2 M8 bolts each and also the wooden beams strut around the H beams coz these stick out of the wall about half an inch.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. But the wooden beams along the sides are attached to the main construction (1 metal H-beam either side) with 2 M8 bolts each and also the wooden beams strut around the H beams coz these stick out of the wall about half an inch.
I don't know if that's enough to keep the structure in place under load. The M8 bolts are in shear and the wood will deflect around the beam. I'm not an engineer, but have done a lot of engineering work over the years. My gut tells me you need to X brace or triangulate the end bays of the structure at a minimum.  

I don't know if that's enough to keep the structure in place under load. The M8 bolts are in shear and the wood will deflect around the beam. I'm not an engineer, but have done a lot of engineering work over the years. My gut tells me you need to X brace or triangulate the end bays of the structure at a minimum.  

The wood can’t deflect coz of the beams in between. Therefore the bolts are not in shear I think.

However, I’ll try to think of a way to improve strength.

Very cool space Vinnie. Great to have the room for such a structure.

Another update! Floor is 95% complete, all the dawdust (from turning my garage into a carpenter shop) is gone and after 2 drives to the dump there is space!

f72c876c7335a3d6aa14104f6cec6a83.jpg

Things that need done now include getting electricity in the back, lights (already in) downstairs and hook up the water.

And to top all this off the weather today was great, the Mustang ran strong, the kickdown worked and it had a nice little run. Finally a scratch to my itch :)

That's gonna be a pretty big detour if I'm not mistaken but you are very welcome of course :)

If you're really game, I got plenty of time every other weekend.

How tall is the garage?

Close to 8 metres. I made the floor at about 4 metres.
For others like me that are not great with the metric system...

8 meters equals roughly 26 feet 3 inches

4 meters equals roughly 13 feet 1 inch

Congrats Vinne! 

Ray

Back