weather strip replacement on convertible top

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is / can be a DIY job

It is screwed and some spots glued in

OLE PONY they should not have charged you any extra if they were doing the top. I think it would actually have saved them some work

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a rubber seal that runs underneath across the front of your top over the windshield. If is not there you will definitely have a leak.
I haven't found any source for the undertrim gasket. In fact your the first to even admit it's existance. I have repeatedly asked other wise knowledgable shops or Stangers. No one can show me wjere to find one. Right now I'm using a homemade gasket using glass seam sealer and Home Depot weather strip. Not totally effective.

There is a rubber seal that runs underneath across the front of your top over the windshield. If is not there you will definitely have a leak.
I haven't found any source for the undertrim gasket. In fact your the first to even admit it's existance. I have repeatedly asked other wise knowledgable shops or Stangers. No one can show me wjere to find one. Right now I'm using a homemade gasket using glass seam sealer and Home Depot weather strip. Not totally effective.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1973-Mustang-Cougar-convertible-top-front-header-weatherstrip-seal-retainer-/190377688441#vi-content

Not sure which piece you are talking about.

Not sure which piece you are talking about.
Just as Jeffdeq wrote, its a rubber gasket sealing the gap between windshield glass and the stainless windshield trim. It fits under side the trim. It stops the rain water being blown up the wind shield and over the windshield frame, that would other wise flow under the trim over the frame, then drain into the interior. As streams of water falling through the interior windshield trim screw holes.

The leak I'm talking about, never got to the gaskets, sealing between the vert top and trim. The water had already been funneled under the windshield trim by then.

A convertible windshield frame doesn't have a tin roof to stop water running up and over, like a sport roof or coupe.

Sorry but the suggested convertible top gaskets do not address this leak.

I only discovered the rotted away remains of the factory original, after removing the upper windshield trim.

When cought on the highway with rain coming, a strip of tape at the top of the windshield, on glass and trim is the Only option, short of getting the car out of the rain.

Yeah Sure if you never let your Vert see rain, it's not an issue. I fer one ain't going to let the weather dictate wheather I get to drive or not.

Tubo the Soggy

All of the originals I have seen were a soft sticky foam - always falling apart - no one makes it that I know of.

I doubt anyone will as there is not a big demand for it

Foam tape and sealant work OK.

For anyone needing the header seal I have it for 12.95

Item #D1ZZ-7651325A

Don

....between the windshield glass and the stainless windshield trim.
Wow. For YEARS, I thought I was crazy. I was thinking water was getting into my car through the windshield.

Now, I know what the issue is. Piece of crap glass installers.

Let's see....that is like 12 years of wet pants because of another crappy install. At least it only rains 4 times a year here.

I don't think Lux drives his car in the rain.

Wow. For YEARS, I thought I was crazy. I was thinking water was getting into my car through the windshield.

Now, I know what the issue is. Piece of crap glass installers.

Let's see....that is like 12 years of wet pants because of another crappy install. At least it only rains 4 times a year here.

Hey you sure it was rain water causing the wet pants -

If your pants are wet 6-10 times a year and it only rains 4 times there, plus you were only driving your car in the rain once :huh::s:)

If you drove with me, I'd get you to pee your pants a couple times too.

Crummy undersized disc brakes....

Let's see if these diagrams help clear up some of the leaks...

Mustang Cougar Windshield trim and weatherstripping seal, for convertibles and non convertibles(I think) from Ford Shop Manual.

FordShopManual_BodyWindshield_43_11_03and04.pdf

Attachments

• FordShopManual_BodyWindshield_43_11_03and04.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
Sometimes I actually have to. Here you are very likely to get caught in the rain when you go for a long drive.

I have water seeping in in the funniest places

It used to come in in between the glass and the trim on top of the windshield until I I finally got fed up with that and I filled the gap between the trim and the windshield with some clear window silicone all the way around.

That stopped that leak altogether.

The only thing that happens now is water coming in from the top of the left A pillar where the front weather strip ends. There the water finds a way in between the pillar, weather strip and side window.

Aaaand drips on your pants. :(

If you drove with me, I'd get you to pee your pants a couple times too.
Been there done that. Believe me, it's got nothing to do with undersized brakes. It's just his driving skills. :)

I'm having my Windshield replaced tomorrow, I will watch every step they do, also I'm reinstalling the Chrome my self, and while taking it apart, I saw that the Foam sealant has dry rotted, and falling apart, I'll see what the guy has on his truck that he can give me.

I have driven my car many many times in the rain and I could never figure out how the water was getting in behind the header panel, and then dripping down on me, this explains my wet pants, or it also could be the 4 wheel manual Drum brakes :D

Back