Weatherstriping ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would suggest you remove the drip rails and clean all the sealer off and reseal the trim first. I use either 3-M windshield sealer or the strip calk that does not cure either will work better than the foam the factory used. My brand new car leaked and I had inches of water in the floor the first week I owned the car. They kept looking at the rubber strip when it was between the drip rail and roof where the leak was.

The pictures are on a vert which is much shorter trim but same situation on coupe or fastback. The factory foam was just a faster easier way for them to apply not better for sure.

David

Great suggestion from David above with the caulk, But I have to ask why you are repalcing the weatherstrip.  Is it due to leaking or is the rubber just dry rotted and looks like crud?

I ask, because removing the weather channel is a much larger task.  There are a lot of phillips head, self tappers that have been there for 45 years.  So If you are not leaking there and just want a light improvement to get her back on the road, you can just due the extruded rubber seal replacement.

1)Remove back seat lower section.

2) Remove 1/4 panel interior sections(the big ones only)

3) Remove rear 1/4 windows

4) replace weather strip - Pretty intuitive.  (Use 3M weatherstrip adhesive to tack in place.)

5) Re-assemble.  Be sure to get the rear 1/4 windows up and snug.

When I did mine, the worst part was trying to get the rear seat to release from the catches

Great suggestion from David above with the caulk, But I have to ask why you are repalcing the weatherstrip.  Is it due to leaking or is the rubber just dry rotted and looks like crud?

I ask, because removing the weather channel is a much larger task.  There are a lot of phillips head, self tappers that have been there for 45 years.  So If you are not leaking there and just want a light improvement to get her back on the road, you can just due the extruded rubber seal replacement.

1)Remove back seat lower section.

2) Remove 1/4 panel interior sections(the big ones only)

3) Remove rear 1/4 windows

4) replace weather strip - Pretty intuitive.  (Use 3M weatherstrip adhesive to tack in place.)

5) Re-assemble.  Be sure to get the rear 1/4 windows up and snug.

When I did mine, the worst part was trying to get the rear seat to release from the catches
If you need to remove the self tapping screws

First take an old Phillips screw driver put it in the slot give it a couple of good hits with a hammer

Just one or two hits to break the bond your not trying to drive it home.

If you still get one that won't break loose, then you can treat like a Chevy

Car has just been repainted, roof rail and drip rail removed and cleaned.

What would you use to seal between the drip rail and the body?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back