well...by golly it is a "Sprint"

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71coupe

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang
First: many thanks to fellow mustangs friends.

I got my Marti report and low and behold its a 1972 Sprint!

So, the VIN # on my dash is wrong and the "buck" tag is the right one.

According to the report:

2 1972

F built in Dearborn

01 hardtop

F 302-2V

Your vehicle was ordered with the following features:

Sprint Special Value Package A

NOX Emission System

FMX Cruise-O-Matic Transmission

E70x14 Belted Tires

Whitewall sidewall tires

power steering

Air Conditioner - Selectaire (Doesn't have any A/C right now)

AM Radio

Decor Group

Color keyed racing mirrors

tinted glass complete

Your car was actually produced on June 6, 1972 - six days ahead of schedule.

According to stats:

my car was one of 5,512 with Sprint Special Value Package A

This is unbelievable!!! I bought this car from a friend for $600.00!!!! Running!!!

And its one of 5,512!! WowZA!!!

Well, now that I know it IS a sprint...its time to start my restomod. For sure the color of the car will be original colors as well as the interior.

As for the motor...well, it won't be stock, that's for sure :).

Thanks

Fernando - Proud owner of 1972 Sprint.

Now I need to change my userid to 72Sprint.....it currently is 71Coupe. hahaha

martireport.jpg

Hey congrats....... not many Sprints out there... she'll be different. But....what about that "wrong" serial? isnt that a bit of a problem?
yeah..having that different VIN # is an issue that I'm going to have fight with the local DMV. I truly believe the "buck" tag is original and not the VIN on the dash. Its just way to EZ to remove a dash and put a new one in. Going to have to do my research on this one for sure though.

Hey congrats....... not many Sprints out there... she'll be different. But....what about that "wrong" serial? isnt that a bit of a problem?
yeah..having that different VIN # is an issue that I'm going to have fight with the local DMV. I truly believe the "buck" tag is original and not the VIN on the dash. Its just way to EZ to remove a dash and put a new one in. Going to have to do my research on this one for sure though.
Does it have the original 302 engine with the VIN on the manifold. Of course the VIN is on the blue door tag as well. Documenting all of those should make for a good case. Congrats on the purchase.

The dash might have been replaced by a previous owner to change it from Sprint blue to standard black purely for appearance reasons (instead of just painting it black like someone has done to mine).

Does it have the original 302 engine with the VIN on the manifold. Of course the VIN is on the blue door tag as well. Documenting all of those should make for a good case. Congrats on the purchase.
this is a great point. take pictures of EVERYTHING that matches. Remember the person with that VIN...wants it registered to SOMETHING. So if you have all of that hopefully honesty prevails. good luck with it and keep us posted. OH remember when you are speaking with them "they work for the state" so don't expect a lot of enthusiasm.

Funny you mention "..work for the state" so don't expect much enthusiasm. So true! I called local DMV and they gave me number to call local Sheriff dept - vehicle investigation. Really! I bought the car from a San Antonio police officer, who had plans on restoring it, but they fell thru. Anyway, here is how my conversation went with the Sheriff.

Sheriff calls me, because I left message with him.

Sheriff: you called me about a car with different VINS?

Me: Yes. I bought a 1972 Mustang from SA PD for restore/project and I found that it has 2 different vins.

Sheriff: hmmmmm.

Me: I suspect the previous owner or owners, just replaced the entire dash and not just the pad. Thus the different vin. I really don't think the police officer has any clue about this.

Sheriff: Uh hmmmmmm

Me: I'm restoring the car and I just want to make sure I'm not breaking any laws and I don't want to dump anymore more money into it, if something is wrong with the vins.

Sheriff: well you have to bring the car in to me so we can inspect it.

Me: well, the car isn't driveable. Its in my driveway. Again, its a project car.

Sheriff: well, you have to tow it in, put it on car dolly...somehow you have to get it here to me.

Me: ok. quick question..why do I have to take car to you?

sheriff: we inspect car and check vins.

me: well, I already checked the different areas where the vins are. I'm part of a mustang club and we know pretty much where every vin location is.

sheriff: well, we sit in the office, and we inspect car because there are different locations the vins are that you may not know where.

Me: (thinking in my head...really!!!!!!!!!...COME ON MAN!!!) ok. no problem. I will get the car to you.

Sheriff: remember you have to schedule an appt with me and it can only be on Tuesday. No other day!

Me: ok. Then what happens after you check all VINS?

Sheriff: if everything checks out OK, then we will issue (some form...I forgot) and you can get your car re-titled and registered. Again, if everything checks out OK. We'll see.

Me: ok. no problem. Thank you.

sherifff: bye

me: bye

Thats pretty how it went.

Will see how it all goes. I will keep you guys posted.

As for VIN on manifold, the car has original 302, but it has headers!. I think the other places the vin may be are: back seat, rear wheel firewells, shock aprons. going to check this weekend.

Thanks guys.

What happens if it doesn't check out ok? I don't like what if games because there are hundreds of scenarios that could play out from swapping the dash to change the interior color to swapping the dash in an attempt to register a stolen car with a "good" VIN on the dash and matching title from a totaled car.

I would go back to the former owner and ask for his help since he is police officer. Ask him to run the stamped VIN #s to see if that VIN # comes up as stolen.

The last thing I would want to see happen is you take the car to the sheriff and he says thanks for delivering us the stolen car, they impound the car and possibly charge you for receiving stolen property.

That's worse case but is in the realm of possibility. I'd do some more fact finding. Also, if it does check out ok, will your DMV give you a clear title or something else like a salvage or reconstructed title?

Step 1 has to be determining if the car is stolen or not.

Good luck.

What happens if it doesn't check out ok? I don't like what if games because there are hundreds of scenarios that could play out from swapping the dash to change the interior color to swapping the dash in an attempt to register a stolen car with a "good" VIN on the dash and matching title from a totaled car.

I would go back to the former owner and ask for his help since he is police officer. Ask him to run the stamped VIN #s to see if that VIN # comes up as stolen.

The last thing I would want to see happen is you take the car to the sheriff and he says thanks for delivering us the stolen car, they impound the car and possibly charge you for receiving stolen property.

That's worse case but is in the realm of possibility. I'd do some more fact finding. Also, if it does check out ok, will your DMV give you a clear title or something else like a salvage or reconstructed title?

Step 1 has to be determining if the car is stolen or not.

Good luck.

My dad has told me stories about someone he knows that wrecked their mach 1, went down to florida with the dash, swapped it with another car, stole it and drove it home, then drove it around for years and years. That person eventually got caught and sent to jail. I'd just back track the owners and find the original dash, hopefully nobody threw it in the trash.

My dad has told me stories about someone he knows that wrecked their mach 1, went down to florida with the dash, swapped it with another car, stole it and drove it home, then drove it around for years and years. That person eventually got caught and sent to jail. I'd just back track the owners and find the original dash, hopefully nobody threw it in the trash.
Exactly my point. Dash swapping is easy. I was very concerned just after I bought my car b/c the dash VIN and door data VIN didn't match. I investigated and found out my door had been swapped out for a junk yard door early on in the car's life after an accident.

The VIN is on the intake manifold - not exhaust manifold :)

Exactly my point. Dash swapping is easy. I was very concerned just after I bought my car b/c the dash VIN and door data VIN didn't match. I investigated and found out my door had been swapped out for a junk yard door early on in the car's life after an accident.

Hhmm, I wonder if "Marti" could help out with this. Maybe if you sent him the VIN's in question and described your car and options he may be able to tell you which VIN is correct. Just a thought!

Back