What defines a SCJ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David, I know the oil cooler issue still pops up occasionally, but as Pastel Blue posted they just were not production installed on the 71 429 Mustang. After doing some more research I do believe that the engineers were going to equip the 71 Mustang SCJ models with the engine oil cooler. Had to dig waaay back in some very old 71 parts info. The actual oil cooler kept the same 1969 part number for all 69-71 SCJ 428, 429, and Boss 429 applications. Back in early 1971 there were some D1ZZ (71 Mustang) inlet and outlet oil lines listed but were discontinued and replaced by the reinstated 70-71 DOOZ Torino lines. The D1ZZ block adapter replaced the DOOZ Torino part but for some reason was not discontinued and replaced with the reinstated Torino part like the lines were. Since the engineering number "D1ZF" was actually cast into the block adapter maybe they felt like it was to much trouble to change the mold. I really don't feel that a 4.30 geared SCJ Torino was spinning the engine that much harder than a 4.11 geared SCJ Mustang. I've driven both and each was very capable of opening up a can of Haul A$$ in a hurry! Lol  At this point who knows what the engineers were thinking. Sometimes I believe they were smoking some of the same stuff the assembly line workers were enjoying.    

The D1ZZ-6881-A adapter was eventually replaced by the D8AZ-6881-A which was used on the 73-78 460 Police Interceptor. No previous police cars were equipped with the oil cooler.

If you do find your old block adapter let me know.  :)

Beautiful car man. Ever since I went to mecum Kissimmee last year I've added a cyclone dan gurney special to my list of cars I want.

It's good to know I'm not the only Mercury fan here. Both are beautiful cars. Chuck

Just curious, what kind of gas mileage does a 429cj/scj  get?  4 or 5 mpg?
They got better than that running at Daytona and Talladaga doing 200, lol.

Now I have a friend with a 1966 GTO with a specially cast over 500 inch Roush Pontiac engine and two dominators and I think it makes the 1/4 mile on 5 gallons, lol. That is horrible mileage and it is the expensive racing gas for the 14-1 or 15 - 1 compression. His car is street legal but who could afford it. It will form ice on the intake on a humid day due to the amount of fuel going through. I think 160+ in quarter with steel body and full interior.

jowens1126, years ago when we were "Bench Racing", when the discussion turned to gas mileage it seemed as though the ones that got the worst mileage were held in awe. The mindset then equated poor mileage to awesome performance. The two trophy holders in our town was a Hemi Roadrunner and my friends 69 Boss 429. Either was probably lucky if they even got 5 MPG. Even if they couldn't outrun a 4 cyl Pinto, made no difference, they were part of the No Gas Mileage club. Lol  

There were seven of us in a group of 429 powered cars. The worst and the trophy holder was my friend Ben's previously mentioned 5 MPG 69 Boss 429. Lots of mods to that one and gave you one hellava ride between gas stations! Second in line was the only SCJ in the group. Close friend I grew up with had a 70 Cyclone SCJ 429 with Super Drag Pack (Mercury speak for Detroit Locker 4.30). Ran like something that had lost it's mind and averaged 8-10 MPG. He used my Mach 1 a lot on date nights. Said he couldn't afford gas and a date at the same time in that car! The other cars in the group were CJ Torino's and one Torino Cobra that all averaged 12-14 MPG.  My 429 car started life as a 72 Gran Torino Sport with a N code 429 which was basically an LTD engine. A 71 429 CJ short block and 72 Police Interceptor heads, intake, exhaust, etc helped me fill my "Need for Speed" since SOMEBODY had my Mach1 a lot! Lol  Since it was originally an air conditioned N code it had a 3.25 gear which I did not change. So if you drove it normally (what ever that is) it was capable of 14-16 MPG. Was not the fastest car in the group as the full frame under the 72's added extra weight. As far as me challenging my friends Cyclone, (It was never good for us to be at the same stop light) he would run off and  leave me like I was tied to a tree. I had to wait for that 4.30 gear to max him out before I could catch him. Was a lot of fun trying to earn those bad mileage awards.  

jowens1126, I know I rambled on a little but some where in all this there are some MPG numbers!     :whistling:

Okay, after reading this post, and looking at the links from 71JCode, is it just me that would love to look under the hood of 71BossPrototype's car just to see what was there, or any trace of what was possibly once there? Sorry 71BossPrototype - no malice meant only curiosity!

Latest posts

Back