What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also included a picture of my car at work because this is meant to be my daily driver.
And that fact alone makes it the best picture here today. Two thumbs way up for all the effort you've put into making it an everyday machine - and for having the guts to do so in the first place, when most have parked it in their garage.

Congratulations!

-Kurt

Thanks Kurt, I just need to order the Dynomax mufflers, change them out and I will be good to go. The sound deadener makes a really big difference but quieter mufflers will be a welcomed change. I plan to order 50 more square feet and add some more to the back seat, doors and anywhere else I can get it to stick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Kurt, I just need to order the Dynomax mufflers, change them out and I will be good to go. The sound deadener makes a really big difference but quieter mufflers will be a welcomed change. I plan to order 50 more square feet and add some more to the back seat, doors and anywhere else I can get it to stick.
If you have headers, the sound insulation should also keep your feet cooler too. What brand is it, might I ask?

Is it cost-effective? Something that might not break the bank if I were to use it to quiet down a cargo van?

-Kurt

Got [almost] everything aftermarket electronic wired, soldered, 'shrank, and [pretty much] bundled. Still need to connect the alarm and Classic Auto Air modules, and find a place to mount all of the other little modules as well.

The volume control and tuner knob mounting "wings" on the Retrosound Model 2 stereo stick out just a tiny bit too far to slide the radio/HVAC control module into the dashboard opening. But, the stereo is all wired up and everything works - even called my Pal Jim after pairing up my cell phone (used the hands-free mic and everything)... he said it sounded pretty clear, and that was while the neighbor's dogs were yappin' their heads off. The speakers sound pretty good, but I'll bet they'll be even better when all of the glass is finally back in.

The power locks are great - need a little bit of adjustment, though. The power windows... meh. The motors don't seem like they have enough power to move the big windows. I think what's going to happen is I will eventually get some SPALs or Electric Life motors for the door windows - the quarter windows, I'm not as worried, since I won't be dropping/raising them as often.

Things are still a bit of a mess, but once I get the rest of the things tucked back in and trim pieces on, I'll post up some new pics.

I got this car with leaking rear wheel cylinders, a dry rear brake reservoir in the master

cylinder and stopping with front brakes only, pretty scary!

New Parts:

Master and rear wheel Cylinders and Rear shoes + springs $50 Rock Auto.

Took 6 hrs to do a 2 hr rear brake job due to brake drums being rusted

onto the axle flanges... wore me out getting the drums off!

TY BFH

What a flippin mess! The rear shoes drums and backing plates are

completely gummed up with from the leaking cylinders. The old

shoes were nearly new and no lip on the drums must have been

sitting for years on recent brake job.

All clean and new now car stops 50% better, what a difference

without having brake fluid lubricating the shoes!

The front brakes had been done by PO only needed caliper bolt boots etc no problem.

Don't try this at home kids hire a professional.

Regards

Paul

Took 6 hrs to do a 2 hr rear brake job due to brake drums being rustedonto the axle flanges... wore me out getting the drums off!
Lucky you. I once had an adjuster seized shut (say what you want about greasing parts inside the brake drum - I believe in a careful application of high-temperature grease on those threads) and the braking surface worn with a lip in it.

I tried adjusting and beating everything for two days, trying to avoid the inevitable. Unfortunately...

grinddrum_1.jpg

grinddrum_5.jpg

-Kurt

Looks like what I had to resort to on my been on there for 42 years pitman arm that refused to budge even after soaking with PB blaster, using a couple of different pullers and a touch of heat, it came down to 20 minutes with a cutting wheel and all is well in the world. I must say the car drives great with all new front end components though.

I have to do the pitman arm also and after reading up on it

I will cut most of the way through it with a cut off wheel

and then crack it with a wedge and hopefully it will fall off!

Wish me luck
After spending a whole day messing around with pullers without having any luck the cutting wheel made short work of it. Good luck.

I spent the day trying to get the carb right. It now has fuel when it needs to, I suspect a day of jetting might be in order next. I am really tired of messing with the car right now. It has been a really money pit but I am now finally close. Going out to change the starter in a minute once I figure out what side it is on.

I stopped by and gave Jill a pat on her spoiler. She is still at my friends place. He thought he'd bring her to my house a couple of weeks ago but life got in the way.

jillwet.jpg

Got some stuff done today:

• installed the quarter window adjusters (swapped them for the bolts I'd used)
  • trimmed the package tray/quarter trim pieces to fit a little better (since I didn't cut the package tray to fit them, I had to cut them to fit the package tray)
  • tucked the wiring in the dash and bundled up same device wires
  • test-fitted the cool plastic glove box insert from Classic Auto Air (it's awesome)
  • trimmed the dial mounting brackets on the stereo - they stuck out too far to slide back into the dash opening

And finally, my wife installed the front license plate bracket and one of the new frames she bought last week - all by herself! ::thumb::

7173plate.jpg

Represent!! :cool:

Gotta do the "San Antonio 500" tomorrow [to pick up my Mom who's been hanging out with her friend for the past month] so won't get to do anything. But Monday is "game on" with Safelite coming Tuesday to install the windshield. I took the whole week off, so I can hammer out the last few things before the car show next weekend.

Taking my front end apart I need to replace my ball joints both upper and lower. Does anyone have any link or know where I can Purchase Lower Ball Joints and not the complete lower control arm ?

Thanks

Nick

Installed one of the new exterior door handles since I had some spare time. It was a pain in the butt at times, but the old ones were so pitted. Here are the results..

OLD HANDLE

Old_Handle__1413306956_37568.jpg

CHANGING HANDLE- Those rusty clips that hold on the door vinyl really hurt when they decide to scratch you. Good thing I have my tetanus shot.

Changing_Handle__1413306984_63248.jpg

NEW HANDLE

New_Handle__1413307019_32438__1413307019_97408.jpg

You can't have pitted handles on a new paint job. I am starting the finishing touches on the exterior. Next is to paint the black plastic trim around the vinyl top to get rid of the chips.

I stopped by and gave Jill a pat on her spoiler. She is still at my friends place. He thought he'd bring her to my house a couple of weeks ago but life got in the way.
I am guessing "Jill" is the cars name. My cousin named my car Melvin.. Its a guys name, but I am a girl and I feel like a guys name would suit it better. To be honest, the name has not stuck, I have to think long and hard until it pops up in my mind.

Back