What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered about $900 of stuff from OMS (incl. shipping). Thanks Don! Now when the car is back from paint I can finish the interior.
Steve all shipping today

Thanks Don
Got the notifications. Woohoo!

Got off work early and spent a nice afternoon with the Mach 1. Finished up grinding the welds on cowl and battery apron and hit them with some primer.This is my first time welding so don't laugh to hard :p. My brother normally does my welding. All I can say is I'm trying. I feel good about my crappy welding job. Good thing for bondo :D.
I'm not gonna laugh, better than I could do!

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my cowl done today as well. It's nowhere near as nice as mach71351c's (crappy first-time welds and all... yeah - right), but it's all back together, everything's solid, and coated in Rust Bullet. When I have more time later (after the shop closes and I get it home), I'll make the ugly patches pretty again.

Here's front end with the 'new' look slowly making its way toward the back of the car.

397828_355150107829247_100000027814872_1356835_245916852_n.jpg

A shot of the passenger side - had to patch a couple of things and seal some more, but it's solid. I've also learned that there's a big difference between the $1.99 10-pack and $3.99 6-pack of foam brushes. Next time I'll pony up for the better ones. (ooh - neat lens flare effect, too)

397295_355150127829245_100000027814872_1356836_1464207760_n.jpg

And finally, the driver side - kinda sucks that the 'new' Rust Bullet makes the previous coatings look... well... old. That's OK because I'm going to scuff it all up later and spray another coat.

407486_355150137829244_100000027814872_1356837_1737895584_n.jpg

My wife says I need to quit calling it 'The Rustang,' and start calling it 'Frankenstang,' because of all the parts from other cars and the fact that you can still see the 'scars' from me putting it back together. Made me laugh. I'll make the 'scars' pretty later... but for now, gotta get the welding done ASAP.

Got off work early and spent a nice afternoon with the Mach 1. Finished up grinding the welds on cowl and battery apron and hit them with some primer.This is my first time welding so don't laugh to hard :p. My brother normally does my welding. All I can say is I'm trying. I feel good about my crappy welding job. Good thing for bondo :D.
Your welding is just fine, Man! Your work is truly an inspiration to the rest of us hacks. ;) :D

Keep it up Eric

looking good
X 2 ! ...Man I'm so glad I was able to repair my cowl by just lifting the corners! It's major job to remove the top nicely so it can reused.
Thanks guys! It really does mean a lot having such a great support system. I just wish I didn't have to be in such a hurry these days. Fortunately, the places I'm cutting corners will let me go back and revisit them later when I have more time to 'do them right.'

Moving on to the trunk tomorrow - which is one place I know I'm only going to get one shot at getting it right. I just hope the doors don't close before I'm ready to bring it home. First off will be the shock mounts. I got the 1970 cross member and gave up on my Redneck Engineered solution to the Redneck Engineer hack job. LOL So at least that should come out a lot better than my original plan. ;) :D

very good. I remember doing that.... the guy I use is Mexican. Really cool guy and a new/good friend. Anyway he says...."you're the hardest working white guy I know":D

well sprang a fuel leak in the main line... a pin hole will dump ah bunch of fuel.Changed out all the fuel lines.... tightened up the valance .... checked my alternator the NEW one....only to discover it isnt charging. gonna get a new voltage reg first to ensure I've started "with the simple things first" quote

Slingblade

Actually drove it for the first time in months.. I was wondering why it had no oil pressure, thought it might be the gauge.. Pulled out the dipstick and it was dry lol.. Tommorow I will be doing an oil change(or just pouring new oil in), and may actually do a little body work so the whole car can be OD green :).

430604_10150637523056995_610141994_11331526_1874602821_n.jpg

M Beauchamp, Your PS front apron and battery tray supports look good. I think I'll try my hand at that next week. I'm sure I could use some pointers.

Hey guys your progress is looking great. Thanks for the compliments on the welds. I spent a good part of the day working on the Mach. :) I sand blasted and primed the cowl baffle. Then I jacked up and dove into the lower quarters. I cleaned up the rust spots and looked at them for awhile. On to more grinding cutting and welding. I can't tell you guys how happy I am that got some work going. :cool:

1-29-12 001.jpg

1-29-12 002.jpg

1-29-12 014.jpg

1-29-12 003.jpg

1-29-12 010.jpg

1-29-12 004.jpg

1-29-12 011.jpg

1-29-12 009.jpg

1-29-12 005.jpg

1-29-12 013.jpg

1-29-12 006.jpg

1-29-12 012.jpg

Pretty much just spent time with it today. I was all ready to tackle the shock mounts, and realized I'd left the '69-'70 cross member at the house. So, I cleaned up inside and around the car - hauled almost 100 lbs of twisted rusty sheet metal to the recycle trailer outside the shop (most of that was the leaf springs, but still a bunch of pieces of old cowl and trunk metal). Figured I'd make the area I'm working in even more presentable to show progress and quit giving the turds at the Arts & Crafts Center any more reasons to hate on Rustang while it's there.

Also helped my pal Jim weld in some patches to reconstruct the rear window channel of his '63.5 Galaxie 500 XL. Now, he gets to grind, bondo, and sand 'em up so he can put a vinyl top back on his car... so maybe he'll leave me alone next weekend so I can actually get something done. (hehehe)

I'm actually coming to terms with the thought of them closing the shop. Tonight as I was driving home, I actually pictured myself in the driveway (I have a nice carport outside the garage) doing 'something' on the car... and was OK with it. If I can just get the back end done, it's all good.

Hey guys your progress is looking great. Thanks for the compliments on the welds. I spent a good part of the day working on the Mach. :) I sand blasted and primed the cowl baffle. Then I jacked up and dove into the lower quarters. I cleaned up the rust spots and looked at them for awhile. On to more grinding cutting and welding. I can't tell you guys how happy I am that got some work going. :cool:
Keep it up Mike

Keep it up Mike
Its all I can think about is what's next.

I installed my new rear spoiler that my sweet wife bought me for Christmas. It looks awsome thanks to the thread that explains the measurements. This site is very helpful!

Put the console, gauges, tach/speedo, radio, heater/AC control, steering wheel, and dash pad back in after finding and repairing a broken wire in the main harness. Would have never guessed the radio and back up lights share a splice at the radio power connection. I would rather have taken a mild flogging than do this. The dash of these cars is a serious PITA. Chuck

Back