What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked on my custom 1971 Shelby Europa gas cap. I couldn’t find anything I liked for my build, so I just made one. The cap is 95% finished, I have some fine detail work to do on the face and I need to decide how I want to mount the Shelby emblem. My only real choices are with barrel nuts or 3M tape. I’m leaning toward stick-on, but I’m still on the fence about that part. For now just mocked up with tape.

I knew the gas cap was going to be a sticking point on my build and it would really irritate me every time I drove it knowing the gas cap was a weak point. So I spent a ton of time researching the part, looking at photos, emailing Dr. Harvima and Wolfgang to work out the details. IMHO, I think I got it right.

Here's an original. They are a cast part, basically made only for the original Shelby Europa's.

View attachment 71416
Some damned nice work right there. I'd say you nailed that re-creation!

Well, today, nothing. But yesterday, I believe I found my short in my wiring, isolated to my old 2G Alt, that was 15 years old. Also, got all the fuses sorted out. Tomorrow, will begin to test/fix each of the electrical systems, one at a time. I suspect I’ll need help 😀.

I had the Mach out of the garage for a day while I replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders on the Mini. I hear people like cold start videos, so I made one when I moved it back into to the garage. Temp was 25°F when I lit it off.

Sounds good, but looked like the right bank took a while to catch up. Then it smoothed out real nice.

I disconnected the battery and put her to bed for winter.
I may or may not start it a few times over winter, depending on weather.
EDIT: I do occasionally put the battery tender on it to keep the battery charged.

Last edited:
Measured up for front suspension swap, scoured internet for late model mustang suspension dimensions, joined this forum
🍻

Measured up for front suspension swap, scoured internet for late model mustang suspension dimensions, joined this forum
🍻
Hello and welcome to the forum.
May I suggest going to the "introductions" page and please tell us more about your car and your dream for it. We're all ears and eyes. We LOVE pictures!!!

Well, yesterday I continued work on restoring the brake system, pulled the axle for detailing, welding in a drain plug, and gear swap, changed out the front and rear sway bars with ADDCO replacements, and restored a 71 Mach 1 flip-open gas cap. Probably a few other things, too.

Well, yesterday I continued work on restoring the brake system, pulled the axle for detailing, welding in a drain plug, and gear swap, changed out the front and rear sway bars with ADDCO replacements, and restored a 71 Mach 1 flip-open gas cap. Probably a few other things, too.
That’s a full list for sure. Great job!

Wow, I agree with PoFoMoCo that is a lot to get done in one day, great job!

I worked on the steering wheel I bought off eBay. The rim blow steering wheel I had was from a 1969 Indian Fire Metallic double-deluxe interior convertible. It had the round inserts and the mustang logo emblem. I ended up selling the whole wheel, instead of changing out the wheel pad, to my buddy with the black Boss 429. I netted enough to replace it with this correct version and fund other parts on my Europa build. :cool: Winning :cool:

This wheel needs allot of work, its rough and nasty. But its complete with a functioning horn switch, the wheel pad and correct trim pieces for my "71.

It was a chore to get it clean/stripped.

Before
wheel3.jpg Wheel2.jpg

After

IMG-1800.jpg

I worked on the steering wheel I bought off eBay. The rim blow steering wheel I had was from a 1969 Indian Fire Metallic double-deluxe interior convertible. It had the round inserts and the mustang logo emblem. I ended up selling the whole wheel, instead of changing out the wheel pad, to my buddy with the black Boss 429. I netted enough to replace it with this correct version and fund other parts on my Europa build. :cool: Winning :cool:

This wheel needs allot of work, its rough and nasty. But its complete with a functioning horn switch, the wheel pad and correct trim pieces for my "71.

Before
View attachment 71623 View attachment 71624

After

View attachment 71625

Let me know how you get that emblem into the horn pad. I took one look at mine and set it aside for later!

Before
View attachment 71623 View attachment 71624

After

View attachment 71625
I got one you can practice on , to hone your skills before you do yours 😂

Attachments

• C9C84AD5-0F9D-463B-A544-E4A39CB91F35.png
    C9C84AD5-0F9D-463B-A544-E4A39CB91F35.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Let me know how you get that emblem into the horn pad. I took one look at mine and set it aside for later!
This emblem has 3 dog-ear tabs cast into the bottom of the emblem. For my pad, I had to modify the emblem by removing the 3 dog-ear tabs from the emblem.

Fortunately, once the emblem is installed into this pad you cannot see the modification.

PoFoEmb1.jpg PoFoEmb2.jpg

Back