What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got Nuttin' done on my car today! I got to the body shop this morning at 7:00 and was going to fix two "simple" things on my friend's Chevelle and then I had a list of things that I wanted to do on my Mustang. Unfortunately, as I like like to call it "Christine" because she is pure evil, fought me on each thing and it was noon before I got done with the Chevelle and it was 94 degrees outside so I called it a day and went home and jumped in the pool. There's always next week, LOL.

It looks innocent but it is evil, EVIL, I tell you.

At least it is done and ready for him to finally drive. He bought it 38 years ago with no engine, so it has been off the road for almost 40 years and it doesn't seem to want to go back out on the road. I fixed the leaking brand new steering gear and the leaking trans seal and, when I left there was nothing leaking. I also set the tow as best I could with a tape measure but the steering wheel is straight and the front wheels are straight-ish. It's good enough to drive to the alignment shop, LOL.

thumbnail_image0.jpg

I took the Mach 1 to the big car show in Eagle, Idaho today. The heat's coming on! I'm glad I brought a lounge chair and shade, as well as a mini ice chest. Lots of nice cars... classics, restorations , hot rods ( well, street rods, not hot rods ), show cars, tractors, etc. Seems like there is a show every week here now that the weather is warmer.

I found a posted photo of my Mach 1 online, that someone else had shot of the car at the show. This was outside, around the Idaho Capitol grounds and side streets. There were 250 cars in attendance being shown, but here's my car, It's just a stock, clean driver . I'll bet I had the only vehicle there with stock wheels/hubcaps! Sharp eyes will find a Candy Apple red '66 Chevelle Convertible parked behind me, that guy and his wife bought it NEW in '66 and obviously love it. The couple who were parked in front of me (out of the photo), were showing a '65 Mustang GT coupe with a 4-speed, and so on. Lots of cool rides showed. I'll have to admit, there was a 1969 S/CRambler in attendance, with the red/white/blue paint scheme, 390, T-10, that made me stop and say "Bitchin"!
Your Mach 1 looks fantastic, Spike!

+1 That's just dead weight.

Not me. Like when you see somebody driving around in a honda with a fartcan muffler and the huge H logo on the back glass and it says HONDA across the front window. Dude gets out and he's got on a honda t-shirt and the matching visor.

And back in the day. They really didnt even put "the brand" all over cars. Look at some of these old cars and try to find the ford logo. You can find it on some inconspicuous places like cast into the backside of parts or really tiny on the glass and plastics. But its not big enough for somebody to notice just looking at the car in passing.
Back in the day, didn’t need logos. You could tell what cars were with a quick glance. At night you could tell by the tail lights or headlight and parking lights. The only things that mattered was stuff like Boss 302, 428 cobra jet, etc. These days, cars look so much alike, you need a logo to know what they are.

Back in the day, didn’t need logos. You could tell what cars were with a quick glance. At night you could tell by the tail lights or headlight and parking lights. The only things that mattered was stuff like Boss 302, 428 cobra jet, etc. These days, cars look so much alike, you need a logo to know what they are.
True that. There was a time when just by the shape, you knew there was a Corvette coming towards you. Now, new corvettes look like foreign models. Totally half of the Chevrolets at the car show today had a Bowtie logo stuck somewhere on the car, as if anyone there wouldn't know a Camaro or Chevelle when they saw one, and of course, guys with pick-ups think they are really doing something custom when they put a huge embossed logo on their tail gates. I'm proud to say, on my car, only the factory hubcaps say Ford Motor Company, I think everyone can tell from a block away what it is and who manufactured it. K,I,S.S. There were six '65-'66 Shelby GT-350s there today, yet, neither of them were really GT-350s, they were clones, many details of the real thing were missing same with the Cobras, all replicas, cool as they might be, how come those guys don't have real 427/428 FE engines? They all pussy out and have Factory Five, Superformance, ( or whomever ) build it with a 351w based stroker to 427 inches. I call foul. The replicas are all alike. Were I to have one built it would be a "slab-sided" 289 model with wire wheels. I guess my observations stem from the fact that I really dig cars, but I know what I'm looking at, and realize when an owner is misleading in a vehicle's presentation.

Last edited:
Your Mach 1 looks fantastic, Spike!
Thanks Chuck. It's really basically just a well-maintained stocker. The wing and side stripes were added by the studios when they used it for the Movie, and I left them on, other than that, stock, but it presents well enough to participate with the big dogs. I had the car re-painted, and installed a new interior years ago, however, kept the colors both as it originally came. Pretty enough that I don't have to open the hood to impress people (although it's very clean, and stock, and proper under the hood). Original hubcaps and beauty rings separate it from most these days.

Last edited:
It was yesterday.. but I did some POR15 on the trunk floor, and underneath of the trunk floor and the stuff I can get to with the gas tank out..

Attachments

• 20240622_201301.jpg
    20240622_201301.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240622_201303.jpg
    20240622_201303.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240622_201305.jpg
    20240622_201305.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240622_201307.jpg
    20240622_201307.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Well, I keep getting crud in the carburetor causing the float needle to stick open flooding the engine, so I am adding a second filter and replacing the lines with 10 dollars a foot fuel injection line...only thing I can figure is that what ever additive they use in California is eating the normal fuel lines. Also the oil sending unit died so that is getting replaced.

Continued to work on taking the engine back out to fix oil leaks.

I have o ringed fire hoops and the new head gaskets I used are not soft enough apparently.

Steve Morris seems to have had a similar issue on a hemi build.

I was loosing a quart of oil ever 200 miles

Always something

Attachments

• IMG_6502.jpeg
    IMG_6502.jpeg
    523.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6505.jpeg
    IMG_6505.jpeg
    518.8 KB · Views: 0
This is a couple days late, since I did the work on Friday, but I finally reinstalled the driveshaft, after several long years. It went in very nicely into the new AOD and the new parts in the 3rd member. I fiddled a bit with trying to lay the transmission cooling lines before I got chased away by rain (I can't fit around the front of the car with the garage door closed). It's the first work I've done in a while since recovering from elbow surgery and then trying to catch up on house projects, and it felt good to get my hands dirty with my 'stang again!

Back