What do you say when asked if it's a Mach 1, but it's not?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
with a little touch of the 69/70 rear lights

Attachments

• FB1.jpg
    FB1.jpg
    187.3 KB
  • FB2.jpg
    FB2.jpg
    151.7 KB
I am just happy when guys like our cars.

If we are being technical, wasn’t the “fastback” term phased out by Ford after ‘68 or thereabouts and replaced by the term “sportsroof”?
Yes of course, but I'm not going to tell someone who's already a little confused and try and explain that my car that isn't a Mach 1 also is a fastback to most of the car world, but not for ford for those particular years. So it's a fastback, but not a fastback but yes it's fastback. :)
I have gotten the Camaro comment a few times as well. The fact is, 71-73s do share some stylistic cues with the first-gen camaro (front end… maybe due to the Bunkie Knudsen connection?) and some from the challenger (like the speed-line/crease going down the side). Take a look at this pic below of a 67 Camaro and a 71-72 Mustang convertible (with 73 grille) and one can see why the untrained might be confused when seeing a vert:
On the convertible, the thing that really jumps out at me is those raised rear hips. That body line from the side is miles different than the non vert models and very much like the lines on the 67-69 Camaro.

Back