What does HO stand for on 72 R codes?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Was interested to reading about the 351 HO Mustangs and that there was a performance option in 1972 but Ford didn't shout about it.

Just wondering if anyone knows what the HO stands for?

Agree this one was way under the radar. The HO "High Output" R code option is one even some of my knowledgeable Mustang friends had not heard of. Insurance company's had been screaming about losses on performance cars, emissions controls and low compression engines made performance just a word in the dictionary, and Ford stopped all factory support on racing and performance parts development. Catalytic converters and un-leaded fuel was on the horizon. I'm surprised this engine was offered at all! Most could only be identified by the "R" code vin or the air cleaner decal. No bold decals proclaiming I'm the Boss or If you know what's good for you, you'll keep your distance!!

Was a stark difference from the all out "Total Performance" days of the Sixty's! :D

Thanks for the info. It's good to know that Ford still produced performance models after 71 under the radar and I understand they were available to other models including Coupes and Convertibles too, though the sold in small numbers.

You don't hear about journalists going on about the HO either. As far as Mustang folk law goes performance Mustangs were over by 1971.

Well, they kinda were. The HO may be based on the Boss 351 but the small changes make quite a difference, mostly the reduced compression.

HO R codes rule!::thumb:: can't wait until mine ready to cruise. Hopefully in a year.

These are truly the last hurrah for ford performance of that era.

20150602_155402.jpg

Screenshot_2015-06-02-16-14-25.png

HO R codes rule!::thumb:: can't wait until mine ready to cruise. Hopefully in a year.

At first these numbers from your Marti threw me a little. I knew there were NOT more than 40,000 Sportsroofs built in 1972. So the numbers Marti represents in the beginning of your breakdown are for all 1972 fastback body styles. (Sportsroof 02 and Mach 1 05) That is kinda confusing. But then he does break out the "Standard Sportroof" R codes. I know there were 15,622 1972 Sportsroof (02) Mustangs produced for 1972. 30 of THOSE were R code cars. So obviously 336 were Mach 1's...

Not sure why they chose to break them out like that. Most of my data comes from going through his actual reports and quoting his numbers.

They also try and keep the coupes (Hardtops o1 and Grande 04) bunched together too. But I had patience and by using his different reports, I have learned the breakouts on those.

Not trying to hijack the thread but -----Wow.

Ray

Gee glad you didn't ask this question in Australia about the Falcon GT HO's as you would've created an online war. As Ford Australia never gave a definition to the HO monicker, people have come up with some crazy ones. The most believed three are Handling Option as we were already having the wowser brigade going on about high performance cars and apparently Ford wanting to the HO away from anything speed related. The next is Homolagation Option as the main purpose these cars being built was to win the annual Bathurst 500 mile race for standard production vehicles. Then of course is the High Output, the same as the US. The Handling Option and High Output are the two mostly agreed upon and Homolagation Option as a serious possibility, but without Ford Australia officially naming the option of course it will always be open to interpretation.

When I was driving mine with enthusiasm, passengers were convinced HO meant Hold On. Chuck

At first these numbers from your Marti threw me a little. I knew there were NOT more than 40,000 Sportsroofs built in 1972. So the numbers Marti represents in the beginning of your breakdown are for all 1972 fastback body styles. (Sportsroof 02 and Mach 1 05) That is kinda confusing. But then he does break out the "Standard Sportroof" R codes. I know there were 15,622 1972 Sportsroof (02) Mustangs produced for 1972. 30 of THOSE were R code cars. So obviously 336 were Mach 1's...

Not sure why they chose to break them out like that. Most of my data comes from going through his actual reports and quoting his numbers.

They also try and keep the coupes (Hardtops o1 and Grandé 04) bunched together too. But I had patience and by using his different reports, I have learned the breakouts on those.

Not trying to hijack the thread but -----Wow.

Ray
In his book Mustang by the numbers, Marti says that Ford did not break out the Mach 1 and sportsroof number separate so they are together.

4Vforever, in the States the HO designation was usually described as High Output in the manufactures literature. My 85 GT air cleaner lid states "5.0 Liter 4V H.O." All the 85 literature I have refers to this engine as "High Output".

But...that being said, I like Chuck's "Hold On" description better. Reminded me of our Office Manager's son. He had a 67 Fairlane GT with a 427 he had ordered through the parts dept to replace a blown 390. First time I rode in it I noticed a decal he had placed on the passenger side of the dashboard and I thought "UH OH" what have I done! The decal proclaimed "GET IN-SIT DOWN-SHUT UP-HOLD ON! %#*&!? that 427 pulled like a freight train!!

thY8F5G0G5.jpg

4Vforever, in the States the HO designation was usually described as High Output in the manufactures literature. My 85 GT air cleaner lid states "5.0 Liter 4V H.O." All the 85 literature I have refers to this engine as "High Output".

But...that being said, I like Chuck's "Hold On" description better. Reminded me of our Office Manager's son. He had a 67 Fairlane GT with a 427 he had ordered through the parts dept to replace a blown 390. First time I rode in it I noticed a decal he had placed on the passenger side of the dashboard and I thought "UH OH" what have I done! The decal proclaimed "GET IN-SIT DOWN-SHUT UP-HOLD ON! %#*&!? that 427 pulled like a freight train!!
That was very popular back in the day. A 1966/67 Fairlane hardtop with a 427 is on my top ten list. To bad funding doesn't come with the list.

66 427 fairlane.jpg

I read the 72 R code HO was a detune Boss. Is this true?
Mark, the safe answer for this is "Sorta". The 72 HO ran the same block, crank, rods, and (at the time) top of the line Clevite 77 rod and main bearings as the 71. The cam, pistons, cylinder heads, distributer, and carburetor were all 72 items. These were all results of the engineering it took to comply with the lower compression and required emissions items the Government had decreed was good for us. After all, it's quite a task for these....ahhh.."Gentemen" to protect us from ourselves! :whistling:

I found a bit of info on wikipedia about these.....

"1971 R-code (Boss 351)

The Boss 351 was the most potent high-performance variant of the 351C available only in the 1971 Boss 351 Mustang. Rated at 330 bhp (246 kW), it was fitted with a four-barrel Autolite model 4300-D spreadbore carburetor, an aluminum intake manifold, solid lifters, dual-point distributor, a six-quart oil pan, and cast-aluminum valve covers.[1][13] Forged domed pistons gave an 11.3:1 nominal (11.1:1 advertised) compression ratio which made premium fuel necessary.[12][14] It had four-bolt main bearing caps selected for hardness and a premium cast-iron crankshaft selected for hardness (90% nodularity).[1] The cylinder head was modified for better airflow, used screw-in studs with adjustable rocker arms, and except for the water passages were basically the same heads used on the Boss 302.[3] The valvetrain used hardened and ground push rods with guide plates, and single grove-hardened valve split locks.[1] The forged connecting rods were shot-peened and magnafluxed for strength, and used improved durability 180,000 PSI 3/8-inch nuts and bolts.[1] The R-code Boss 351 Mustang was only installed in the 1971 Boss 351 Mustang, and it came equipped with Ram Air induction. Ford manufactured 1,806 Boss 351 Mustangs in 1971, 591 of which are registered and accounted for on the Boss 351 Registry site.[15]

The January 2010 issue of Hot Rod reported a project in which a Boss 351 was assembled to the exact internal specifications of an original motor, but fitted with open, long tube, 1-3/4-inch Hooker headers (vs. the stock cast-iron manifolds), a facility water pump, a 750 Holley Street HP-series carburetor (vs. the stock 715 CFM Autolite unit), and minus the factory air filter assembly, engine accessories, or factory exhaust system. In that mildly modified state, it produced 383 hp (286 kW) gross at 6,100 rpm, and 391 lb·ft (530 N·m) torque (gross) at 4,000 rpm.[16] A measurement of SAE net horsepower would be significantly lower, and represents a more realistic as-installed configuration with all engine accessories, air cleaner assembly, and automobile exhaust system.

1972 R-code (351 HO)

The 351C HO "R-code" had a number of changes to help meet emission standards for 1972 compared to the 1971 Boss 351 "R-Code". The camshaft had less duration, but more valve lift, while the mechanical lifters remained unchanged.[1] The forged pistons were changed to flat-top style and the heads to open chamber heads, but retained the same large ports, valves, and adjustable valve train used in 1971.[3] This resulted in a compression ratio decreased to 9.2:1 while the cleaner-burning open-chamber heads helped meet the new emissions regulations.[1] The Ram Air option was no longer available. The engine otherwise remained unchanged from 1971. This engine produced 275 hp (205 kW) using the more realistic SAE net system and was only available in the 1972 Ford Mustang.[3]"

Notes:

[1] Hammill, Des (Sep 2011). Ford Cleveland. Dorset England: Veloce Publishing.

[3] Sessler, Peter (2010). The Ultimate V-8 Engine Data Book (2nd ed.). Minneapolis, MN: Motorbooks International.

[12] 1971 Ford Mustang (Sales Brochure ed.). Ford Motor Company. 1970.

[13] Traver, David (February 2010). "Last of the Hot Rods - 1973 Ford Mustang". Hemmings. Retrieved 3 June 2014.

[14] "351 Cleveland". Boss 351 Registry. Retrieved 3 June 2014.

[15] "Welcome to the Boss 351 Registry". Boss 351 Registry.

[16] "Muscle Car Engine Shootout - Ford Boss 351 Vs. Chevy LT-1 350". Hot Rod Magazine.

[18] Only 398 Ford Mustangs with the 351C HO engine were produced according to production data from Ford

Last edited by a moderator:
Back