What goes into a 460 swap?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome. Thanks. The more I think about a 460 based motor, the more I think of a supercharged stroked Windsor. Not only do I like having the power, I'm wondering if the weight of the 460 would make the car handle like a truck.. Does anyone know how much a 460 with aluminum heads and intake compares to an all iron Cleveland (weight)? I know I can get 600RWHP with a 408w and 10lbs of boost pretty easily. But if I can get a 500 or 520 to handle the twisties while driving to the beach...

Here is a post i found frim another forum:

"I weighed mine before I installed it in my fairlane. Here is the stats.545 cid, aluminum super cobra jet heads, victor intake 1050 dominator, stock dist, flex plate, large starter, aluminum water pump,aluminum valve covers. weighed it on my old farm scale as I call it. It is accurate I checked with my weight on another scale. 576 lbs It is now a bit lighter I think, as I have added a meziere water pump and a small geared starter."

Definitely interesting. From what I've seen, it's not far from the weight of an all iron Cleveland.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a post i found frim another forum:

"I weighed mine before I installed it in my fairlane. Here is the stats.545 cid, aluminum super cobra jet heads, victor intake 1050 dominator, stock dist, flex plate, large starter, aluminum water pump,aluminum valve covers. weighed it on my old farm scale as I call it. It is accurate I checked with my weight on another scale. 576 lbs It is now a bit lighter I think, as I have added a meziere water pump and a small geared starter."

Definitely interesting. From what I've seen, it's not far from the weight of an all iron Cleveland.
This has been here before.

Moottorienpainovertailu11.jpg

Weight of the BB goes along with the 545 cid weight, by thinking that the 545 cid has the 4.500” stroke crank – now compare it with std. 429 crank and you get the difference. Just something to ponder, think a heavy A460 sportsman block you’ve got thick cylinders, if you’ll go with 0.060” overbore (4.420”) you will have thick cylinders enough to go to +4.600”. This might sound funny, but there is tens of pounds of weight lying in the cylinders – I mean you can calculate it if you wish. Thats not the case, just food for your thoughts. Won't work with 351c but with the thich cylinders of 429/460 it can be considered as a good thing to have.

Awesome. Thanks. The more I think about a 460 based motor, the more I think of a supercharged stroked Windsor. Not only do I like having the power, I'm wondering if the weight of the 460 would make the car handle like a truck.. Does anyone know how much a 460 with aluminum heads and intake compares to an all iron Cleveland (weight)? I know I can get 600RWHP with a 408w and 10lbs of boost pretty easily. But if I can get a 500 or 520 to handle the twisties while driving to the beach...
You are thinking that a supercharged Windsor to make better weight ratio… you think that the supercharger weights nothing? Typical procharger kit weights 40-50 lbs with the main unit, brackets, pulleys and carb hat, add a intercooler with piping and it’s not going to get any lighter. Basically it moves the weight to up and front of the vehicle – that does not improve the handling. Add a blower, you get COOL looks and you don’t need to apply a Procharger decals to your fenders cause everyone can see the huffer coming through your hood. It’s also a heavy puppy and the weight goes up and front – not good. Add turbo or two, you'll get heavy and extremely hot pieces to your enginecompartment, plus you need to make headers to turbos, from the turbos pressure side to the carb/efi intake what ever your gonna use. Then exhaust pipes from the turbos to lead the hot gas out of the engine compartment - that is a huge net of HOT pipes - they heat your engine compartment pretty good. I sold my last set of BBF turbo headers last week to be installed & modified to '65 4DHT Galaxie with 460 cid. i decided not to chop my shocktowers and not to weld Mustang II-type suspension - too much work, too little time to do it.

Anyway the planning of the engine is one of the nicest parts on any project so keep the thoughts coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
I apologize for bringing this thread back up. When it comes to intake manifolds in a 460 based motor, it looks like I am confined by intake manifolds that will fit under the factor hood. I was thinking of an Air Gap intake. It this won't likely fit will it?

I'm putting the 460 Performer in mine. It was highly recommended by the "pros" over at the 429-460 forum. Stock height.

I once drove a 71 Thunderbird with a 429/C-6 that I helped another garage get running correctly. My God it pulled like a beast in stock trim. If I were to foresake my Cleveland I would consider a swap to a 429 of that vintage. But I would feel guilty screwing up the originality of my car so it will never happen.

Ron

Back