What is a "Ford guy"?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may have said I don't consider the larger, full-frame Chryslers (B-bodies, I think?) direct competitors to "Pony Cars", simply because they are too different in size, construction and target market.

Of course, just because I don't consider a '68 Charger a direct competitor to a '68 Mustang doesn't mean I don't like the Charger...far from it! I think the 68-70 Charger as probably the single-best looking all around classic car design ever! It is one of only a few car designs I NEVER get bored looking at. Bill Brownlie's timeless masterpiece, for sure.

Kit an observation from the other side of the world.

I believe if you asked muscle car enthusiast in Aus what are the 3 greatest US muscle cars it would surprise me if most didn't say Mustang, Charger and Camaro/Chevelle these last 2 being interchangeable according to personal bias. We would also consider them to be direct rivals. I agree that the pony car formula is way off with the charger and chevelle but there is a general perception that they are all competing against each other. This is an opinion from outside of the country of origin and by a person that was born at the end muscle car era but I would maintain its an accurate sentiment shared by a good many Aussie car nuts, Not disagreeing with you just sharing a different point of view of how these great cars are viewed far from their native land

I come in from a human nature angle. Humans are tribal. Human beings have a deep down need to belong to a group that they identify with and relate to personally for different reasons. These include, religions, sects, clubs, political institutions,companies,car companies,car clubs, sporting clubs, sports teams, cults, brand names, cities, towns, states, countries, and the list goes on forever.

It's all part of the human landscape, and is a lot of fun,and brings variety to our lives, until we start killing each other because we've ended up taking the whole thing too seriously.

Good thread Kit and members.

Greg.;)
Greg Iam an individual and don't need to belong anywhere. I even joined a club that has strict rules about being an individual and we all wore the same patches on our jackets to prove it. Oh shit! Wait you could be onto something there mate :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up in a Ford family my parents and grandparents all drove fords. I have owned 2 VW rabbits 1 AMC matador and a Renalt other than that I have always owned Fords. In 1972 my dad bought a new grand torino sport like the one in the movie. To bad he traded in on 1976 LTD. I also have fond memories from my youth of a red 72 Mach 1 that used to rip around town. That Mach 1 gave me the passion for 71-73 Mustangs. If my parents had driven Chevy's or Mopars I would likely have turned out to be a Chevy or Mopar guy. Like most of us I do appreciate all makes I just prefer Ford.

I also grew up in a Ford family, my mom worked at Ford World HQ for 25 years and my first car was a 1965 Mustang coupe with a 289 auto. I like muscle cars from all the Big Four manufacturers. I have owned many cars from different brands, some of my favorites I have owned,

1982 Mustang GT (bought brand new)

1970 Chevelle SS454 LS6

1970 Chevelle SS396

1971 Trans AM

1986 Trans AM

1993 Corvette LT1 (bought new)

1991 GMC Syclone

1990 Mustang GT

1987 Mustang GT (bought new)

1993 Mustang Cobra (bought new)

1971 Chevelle SS350

1972 Mustang Sprint

1972 Dart w/360

owned and enjoyed many more not listed. One day I need to compile complete list of cars I've had.

Luke,

I think we are just debating the difference between meaningless semantics. Of course all those GM and MOPAR classic muscle cars are "competition" to Mustangs...any performance based car is naturally in "competition" with any other performance car.

My point is that "pony car" is a rather specific category and only a couple cars from each manufacturer actually fit in, so there are naturally many other classic old muscle cars that are not necessarily "competitors" ( from a marketing, not performance standpoint) to classic "muscle" pony csrs.

Ahh, who cares really? They are all cool old cars anyway...

How about a "Ford Family"? I recently counted how many Fords are in my immediate family. Two sets of grandparents, parents, brother, sister and my wife and I. Between all of us there are only two non Ford vehicles. This includes daily drivers and classics. Not to mention my daughters Power Wheels Mustang! If include uncles and aunts it's the same. All Fords.

We should be on a advertisement! Or at least paid sales commission!

Yes I'm a ford guy! In fact my hole family drives fords. What else is their? The only non ford that my dad bought back in 73 was a datsun pick up to drive back in forth to work instead of his 73 F250. About 2 years later it was powered by ford. It was cool little sleeper with a 1970 351c shoe horned in it. My dad drove it up till the 80s before it got a 71 429 stuffed in it.:cool:

I'm definitely a Ford guy but I've owned Dodge, Chevy, and Pontiacs in the past. Today though, if my kids are home, my driveway looks like a used Ford lot.

13 Raptor

13 Focus ST (son's)

08 Mustang Bullitt (daughter's)

and if the garage is open:

71 Mustang Convertible

71 Mustang Mach 1

As I get older, (at 49 1/2), I will admit that some of the Ford competitor cars are not all bad looking. I still don't get the massive love for Camaro, or chevelle! I like a few dodge products, and a few BOP cars as well. My first car was a 1971 Chevelle.

That thing was a turd, that ran a blistering 55 mph in the quarter. 350/turbo fire trans, column shift automatic, bench seat. Blue on blue.

My next cars were all Mercury Cougar's, and I still have/am working on three of them. I have had very good luck with dodge trucks, and I have had so so luck with other Ford products, as well as other, crappy year of products from the other makers.

While I agree that to a certain extent "all muscle cars are cool", I find that I define myself as a Ford guy, not as much by my love of the blue oval, (all though certainly true!) as much as not a joiner of the ever popular club of GM products. I never found a cool E body when I was younger, otherwise I could easily be a MOPAR guy. Why do I love Fords? "Back in the day", Ford went to Europe, and beat all the best racing cars in the world. They did it with push rod engines, that were available in almost every street car Ford sold.

I feel connected to that winning spirit, when driving my hot rods. For sure, GM made a lot of fast cars, quick cars, and good looking cars.

None of which competed with Ferrari, Porsche, etc...

Granted, Ford took a few years off, while GM cheated the supposed "no performance cars/parts" days, and suffered accordingly. And now that it is 2014, the big three are at it again, in the performance car scene. I think the new offerings are better cars all the way around! And, in the same spirit of good fun, I will keep my eyes open for a good used Challenger...

I suppose I have to admit that a '68-'70 'Charger holds massive amounts of appeal to me. As has been said before, I think these are THE best looking of all muscle cars from any angle and they have a presence that is largely unmatched.

However, a bullnose 455 Trans-Am runs it close as does a '71-'73 Mustang.

For me, though, I was never sure of being 'a Ford guy' or not until a few years ago. I lived and worked in Australia for a year and was always being asked which way my automotive allegiance swung. It wasn't until I discovered Allan Moffat and the GTHO that I really knew it was Ford.

That doesn't eliminate the 'Charger for me these days. I still ache to own one, but prices are getting higher and I can't justify the cost over a Mustang. Maybe that's a shame and maybe it's a blessing as I love my Mach 1 dearly, even if I've only owned mine for 6 days. I long to drive it again and I can't imagine feeling any more excited if I had a Charger.

So, yes, I'm a Ford guy. I'd buy any new Ford over a GM product, VXR8 notwithstanding. But with classics, I'm a little more broad-minded.

I am truly non-denominational when it comes to cars - I go more for the particular years and models I like. I've never preferred Fords over anything, usually just the opposite (I tend to prefer Chevys, then some select Dodge models, and finally Fords). In fact, the only other Ford I've even owned was my first car, an '82 Mustang GL... and even then, I pulled the FORD emblem off the grille when I repainted it... and intentionally left it off (it was a "Mustang," after all... not as much of a "Ford," IMHO).

My preference is also more along the lines of "lifted with front & rear drive axles," with the same order of preference - depending on the year models, of course - there are turds wearing every brand logo.

My run-down so far:

'82 Mustang GL

'85 Nissan 720 4x4

'78 Chevy K5 Blazer 4x4

'80 AMC Jeep CJ-7 (still own)

'85 Nissan 720 4x4 King Cab

'97 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (still own)

'95 Honda Civic VX

'71 Mach 1 (of course)

Wife's cars:

'82 Citation 4-door (wife's POS car when we married)

'87 Grand Am SE-V6 (white monochrome - cool car)

'88 Grand Am SE-Quad4 (after I wrecked her '87)

'96 Z24 Cavalier (hail damaged totaled it - bad ass little car)

'01 Pontiac Grand Prix GT (still own - still love it!)

I always wanted an '85 Toyota Xtra Cab 4x4 (but wound up with Nissans instead), and I might have one someday, but I think I'm pretty much set for the time being. I have no desire to get a new vehicle... aside from tossing around the idea of getting a newer (2010-2012) Dodge Ram, since mine's 17 years old currently). I personally like not having car payments... and as long as they keep running well and looking good, I'm happy.

Latest posts

Back