What is most desirable 71-73

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71MACH-1

Reaction score
My Car
71 MACH 1 351C (WITH A CAM)
4SPD HURST
FACTORY AC
DISC BRAKES
PERTRONIX ELECTRONIC IGNITION
TORINO SEATS WITH CONSOLE
GAUGE PACKAGE
Besides the boss, what is the most desirable of the 71-73's?

No bias please based on what you OWN;)

Q-code's 71-73.....Not quite the boss..But usualy close to the top version threw our years....big heads for easy power upgrades.....Tuff Small bell c6 trans.."or manual if you got it"...Traction lock 9inch rear end...staggered shocks..ram air style hood..Hard to beat that combo.

That being said..I would happly take any code of our stangs...I think there desirable by options and looks first thou ..."which why i picked q code"...Then rare or odd versions...Not all rare cars as we know are worth alot of money...They have to be backed with a power package and looks to match.

Besides the boss, what is the most desirable of the 71-73's?

No bias please based on what you OWN;)
73 Convertible

351C 4V, Loud

4 Speed Top Loader

Red

Black Interior

17" Magnums

NASA hood, no stripes

It's a shame you have to ask.

That's a tough call. I would have to say the 429SCJ.

Desirable is in the eyes of the beholder unless your looking for most valuable. If your desire is to go out for a leisurely cruise there is nothing like a convertible. If your out to look intimidating on the street, then a Q code Mach 1. My desire would be to have one of each body style of the 71/73's, even a coupe and a Grande.

I'm gonna go with 'whatever you can get your hands on for a good deal and turn into your baby.' I'm not a purist, so I'm not restoring mine to factory conditions. Which means for me: '71 H-code. (Sorry for the bias... but I'm being honest)

I am thankful for the H-code that I have.

Other than a Boss 351 what would make me get all giddy if I found one would be any R code. Coupe, convertible or Mach 1. Rare as hens teeth.

For your "everyday" finds - a Q-code four speed.

For me any R, M, Q, C or J code cars. 4 speeds are a plus,

But especially like the odd rare ones; the similarly equipped non-Mach I sportsroofs and coupes. -Like a 72 HO Grande, etc.

And on the other side are the 6 cyl cars. I think they will gain in popularity because most have been sacrificed for their body and interior parts.

The two owned by URUGUAYAN_FASTBACK (Damian)'s sportsroof and OLE PONY (Mike)'s ragtop are neat ones!

Ray

The most valuable are likely already listed above, but I side with those who opined that "desirable" is in the eye of the beholder. I like both the fastback and the coupe body styles (oh, and the convertible as well), and would be overjoyed to come into possession of any of them, especially a Mach 1 or Boss. Currently, I want to build a pro-touring type car, and would most desire a Coupe, with a Cleveland and a 4-speed, as a starting point, but I'd be super happy with any 71-73 Mustang, with a straight rust-free body, and all its glass.

Obviously I like the Mach 1 body style. I like to drive and drive very often every car I have and plan to once they are all running and driveable. The ability to daily drive any of them is what makes them "valuable" to me. If I had an rare one say a Boss or 429 ram air or a SCJ I wouldn't feel good about driving it due to the real possibility of something bad happening to it. So having a car that I would love to drive but not allow myself to drive would be no fun owning. If I found a rare one for a good price I'd buy it to flip it if I had the money available to do so.

Therefore my favorites are the M, Q and H codes. As far as years I like all three with 71 being my favorite, then 72, then 73.

Back