What is this part?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73' Mustang Hardtop- 302 2v V8
I will be starting to upgrade some parts of my engine when I get my car back from the shop but one part is strange to me. I am wondering what it is called, what it does, and if I even need it? I have seen many pictures of engines and have not seen these attached. Any knowledge on this would be much appreciated.

Also, if it happens that these parts are not made anymore is there a way I can refinish it so it isn't such an eyesore?

php3DZvR7AM__1401903746_63126.jpg

As you can see, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Engine__1401903940_20058.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is your power steering fluid cooler. (If we're talking about the finned piece, with the hoses attached to it)

That is your power steering fluid cooler. (If we're talking about the finned piece, with the hoses attached to it)
Doug is correct. Its a power steering fluid cooler. Some have removed them to no ill effect but i highly don't recommend it. Someone with an engineering degree decided it needed one so I'd leave it. You could blast it and repaint so it looks better.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

Thank you for naming the part, I was able to find a thread on this forum where someone asked a similar question but it doesn't mention whether or not it's needed. I can't find them for sale online. If it cools the power steering fluid would a layer of paint make it less effective?

Thank you for naming the part, I was able to find a thread on this forum where someone asked a similar question but it doesn't mention whether or not it's needed. I can't find them for sale online. If it cools the power steering fluid would a layer of paint make it less effective?
No less than removing it all together i suppose. Mine was painted previously by who know who but I haven't had any issues with my PS system.

Here's a link to some options on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=1970+BOSS+302+POWER+STEERING+COOLER+REPLACEMENT+&_itemId=320083953834

Last edited by a moderator:
The PO of my car must have removed mine, because I've never seen one of those. I replaced the PS pump when I rebuilt the motor 2 years ago, and I haven't had any problems with steering that I know of.

So, do I need to go out and get one for my car?

The PO of my car must have removed mine, because I've never seen one of those. I replaced the PS pump when I rebuilt the motor 2 years ago, and I haven't had any problems with steering that I know of.

So, do I need to go out and get one for my car?
I've only seen them like this on 302s. I may very well be wrong though.

It was originally painted. It will work without it but, if the bean counters allowed it back then, there is probably a good reason it is there. My 72 Q code Mach 1 has a similar cooler from the factory. Chuck

My car came with it too but I removed it and had asked whether it was needed too. After I had the motor running briefly I checked to see if the fluid was hot and it was so I decided that the cooler was probably needed. I went ahead and installed a small aftermarket one again and will check to see if it helps once I have the motor running again.

My Boss and late production 72 Q conv both have them and they are painted black. I've heard early 71's with PS did not get them but instead were equipped with a very long PS hose that was routed up over the driver's side cowl-to-fender brace. Guess the long hose didn't work so they opted for the cooler.

Ray

My Boss and late production 72 Q conv both have them and they are painted black. I've heard early 71's with PS did not get them but instead were equipped with a very long PS hose that was routed up over the driver's side cowl-to-fender brace. Guess the long hose didn't work so they opted for the cooler.

Ray
That was my question. I've seen original 7173's with power steering coolers and some with super long hoses tied up on the tower brace. Wasn't sure the reason for the long hoses... cooling perhaps then?

The long hose was used until May 1972 even with the cooler, needed to exhaust long hose inventory before the change was made. Chuck

Guys, is there any bolt on parts or fittings where I can route my PS to a cooler in front of the radiator?

I've been driving it for many years without one but I guess it won't hurt....
If your not going for originality, cool it, cool everything, PS fluid, trans fluid, oil, water, everything. But don't get confused by the word cooling, think of it more like "stabilizing". The closer you can keep fluids at there optimum operating temps without large fluxes to the extremes either way, the longer your parts will live and operate correctly. Over cooling can often be as bad as overheating so be mindful but add those coolers when you can.

Guys, is there any bolt on parts or fittings where I can route my PS to a cooler in front of the radiator?

I've been driving it for many years without one but I guess it won't hurt....
You don't really need one with todays fluid. In the early days power steering fluid was not as stable, and the engineers were concerned the pumps would overheat and shorten it's life (those who are old enough will remember the sound of a whining pump). Power steering fluid was more like a brake fluid (clear) and not very tolerable to heat. I remember the first time I had to put automatic transmission fluid in a manual transmission, and transfer case...boy was I confused until the mechanic explained how well it held up to the heat.

Thanks guys, I found some on ebay but they are very expensive so when I get my car back I will have to find a way to clean it before painting. I prefer stripping it to the metal so the paint doesn't peel/chip but I think it will be somewhat challenging since the metal is so close together.

Are there any chemicals that may do the same job as sanding the surface? I don't want to be painting this thing every year to keep it looking good.

Thanks guys, I found some on ebay but they are very expensive so when I get my car back I will have to find a way to clean it before painting. I prefer stripping it to the metal so the paint doesn't peel/chip but I think it will be somewhat challenging since the metal is so close together.

Are there any chemicals that may do the same job as sanding the surface? I don't want to be painting this thing every year to keep it looking good.
Find someone with a media blast cabinet and have it done with glass bead. Make sure they know what they are doing with media cleaning. Should take about 20 minutes and will come out super clean. Then paint with Eastwood Radiator paint semi-gloss black for factory appearance.

Back