What is this part?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Find someone with a media blast cabinet and have it done with glass bead. Make sure they know what they are doing with media cleaning. Should take about 20 minutes and will come out super clean. Then paint with Eastwood Radiator paint semi-gloss black for factory appearance.
Hmmm, I'd tread lightly with the media blasting on the fins. I do glass bead blasting and I'd be a little reluctant on that piece. The blasting tends to warp thin metals. Preferably, a soda blaster would be the ideal blasting method. If not available, I'd hit it with some serious degreaser, seal the openings then soak it in a Methylene Chloride, also known as Dichloromethane, based paint stripper. (Be safe, it's hot) After that give it a quick wash with a phosphoric acid prep (wheel brightener) wash it down with water, let it dry, then paint it as soon as it is. It'll last a very long time. My 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bead blasted mine with no damage. the heat dissipating fins are steel and all that fragile. If you do have it blasted, with any media, clean it well and put compressed air through the tubes before painting. Just my experience. Chuck

Back