What other hobbies do you have?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had a number of hobbies—some I want to return to but have been focused on my kids. They are late teens but they are still hanging around. Most of my time beyond Mustangs over the past 12 years has been with my boys Soap Box Derby racing—I mean a lot of it. My oldest has sized out of it, but my youngest has continued to race. We announced last season was our last, but here we are racing again and the point leaders in our region. My youngest is pictured with his Masters Division car and his Legacy Division car.

When derby is really over, I have R/C cars and boats to get back to. I would like to do R/C airplanes. Beyond the Mustang, I also have a Model A Station Wagon and am looking at buying a Model A Cabriolet.

Attachments

• 627D4934-7A16-4771-A518-FAB8EDBDEC94.png
    627D4934-7A16-4771-A518-FAB8EDBDEC94.png
    17.9 MB · Views: 1
I have had a number of hobbies—some I want to return to but have been focused on my kids. They are late teens but they are still hanging around. Most of my time beyond Mustangs over the past 12 years has been with my boys Soap Box Derby racing—I mean a lot of it. My oldest has sized out of it, but my youngest has continued to race. We announced last season was our last, but here we are racing again and the point leaders in our region. My youngest is pictured with his Masters Division car and his Legacy Division car.

When derby is really over, I have R/C cars and boats to get back to. I would like to do R/C airplanes. Beyond the Mustang, I also have a Model A Station Wagon and am looking at buying a Model A Cabriolet.
It would appear that there was some lane incursions going on, seeing the tire marks on the Gulf colored racer! Somewherein my family's photo albums, exists a photo of my Dad posing in his "Mobilgas Special" soap box car from the 30's . Dad's uncles owned a service station, and sponsored the car. Big time stuff, being that there was a depression going on. He went to Akron, but didn't win. That's cool that you can do that for your kids.

Studying history, running, cleaning up my adopted historical cemetery, I have an aircraft obsession, shooting sports/guns in general. I am big into trap shooting/sporting clays, reloading my own shot shells, cooking, maintaining my household, appeasing my wife and my cats. Staying in touch with old friends and Playing guitar. Then there is my hobby of political analysis which I won't get into. I sleep sometimes too. But not much.

Ron

Last edited:

I love antique clocks , I use to work on them but had to give it up because I’ve developed something called a residual tremor. That means my hands shake and the doctors don’t know what causes it. They think it’s hereditary, but what ever it is I have a difficult time handling the tiny clock gears . I’ve always loved the 1973 Mach 1 because I had one in my early 20s. It was a life long quest to replace that car I finally did it 3 years ago. Anyhow back to the clocks I have over 30 antique clocks consisting of mantle and my favorite banjo clocks. I’ve Included some pics of some of my clocks.

Attachments

• 5A9F6F2F-A4CB-4AAF-A2F6-7C09C79D2524.jpeg
    5A9F6F2F-A4CB-4AAF-A2F6-7C09C79D2524.jpeg
    578.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 42F23781-41CE-46B0-87CB-3309C9EC1C98.jpeg
    42F23781-41CE-46B0-87CB-3309C9EC1C98.jpeg
    818.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 7AF5AD25-9205-44C6-B7D7-25F6C59A57F0.jpeg
    7AF5AD25-9205-44C6-B7D7-25F6C59A57F0.jpeg
    705.9 KB · Views: 0
  • E447A748-5290-49BE-AFD3-00A9FB921DCF.jpeg
    E447A748-5290-49BE-AFD3-00A9FB921DCF.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 0
  • FDFFC6C0-9D78-4F3C-8FFE-30BDFE843662.jpeg
    FDFFC6C0-9D78-4F3C-8FFE-30BDFE843662.jpeg
    680.2 KB · Views: 0
I love antique clocks , I use to work on them but had to give it up because I’ve developed something called a residual tremor. That means my hands shake and the doctors don’t know what causes it. They think it’s hereditary, but what ever it is I have a difficult time handling the tiny clock gears . I’ve always loved the 1973 Mach 1 because I had one in my early 20s. It was a life long quest to replace that car I finally did it 3 years ago. Anyhow back to the clocks I have over 30 antique clocks consisting of mantle and my favorite banjo clocks. I’ve Included some pics of some of my

I love antique clocks , I use to work on them but had to give it up because I’ve developed something called a residual tremor. That means my hands shake and the doctors don’t know what causes it. They think it’s hereditary, but what ever it is I have a difficult time handling the tiny clock gears . I’ve always loved the 1973 Mach 1 because I had one in my early 20s. It was a life long quest to replace that car I finally did it 3 years ago. Anyhow back to the clocks I have over 30 antique clocks consisting of mantle and my favorite banjo clocks. I’ve Included some pics of some of my clocks.
That is a very cool hobby. Do you have any 18th century grandfather clocks in you collection?

Ron

That is a very cool hobby. Do you have any 18th century grandfather clocks in you collection?

Ron
No antique grandfather clocks but I do have a Howard Miller grandfather and a ridgeway grandmother clock. To me those old wind up clocks are as close to perpetual motion with very little energy expenditure as you can get.

Retired at 50. My job was guns. Still into competitions but not as much now. I guess my main interest besides cars is music. I play the drums and guitar and sing. Just started a band, we will see how that goes…..

The only REAL clocks are the ones with gears and a peculium. The other so called (quartz) are computers. A bit of trivia, Most public schools no long teach how to read a REAL (analog) clock.

The only REAL clocks are the ones with gears and a peculium. The other so called (quartz) are computers. A bit of trivia, Most public schools no long teach how to read a REAL (analog) clock.
I remember a Chicago song called 25 or 6 to 4...is that what you're referring to? *G*

Wow, lots of gun guys here! I shoot, read history, had to go back to work 3 days a week, alas, seeing the economic handwriting on the wall. The first job was delivering car parts to shops. You really don't want to know the markups on this stuff. I got an offer to work at a range I had been volunteering at for extra privileges, but now I will get paid and very happy to not be delivering car parts in one of the worst traffic areas at my location. The Mustang is my 18 yo son's and while I did a lot of the heavy lifting, I am making him do more and more of it as we go along. While the car is a neat thing to have, I still question it as a daily driver. At some point, it is going to have to have some body and frame work which means we will have a lot more in it that a new car would have cost. Sigh. One of the reasons I am working again, but the range is enjoyable unlike the driving car parts. As I told my wife, when I got home from that, my first thought was I need a drink. When I come home from the range I think, hmm, a glass of wine might be nice. My son will be off to the Marine Reserves for 6 months of so after he gets out of high school at the end of May and we hope to get the body work done while he is away. Fingers crossed.

If I get bored being retired I will likely look for a job as a parts runner, or transporting cars for car dealers. Easy enough to do. No heavy lifting. No being stuck in an office... GPS makes it easier than ever.

There is a trend in car parts delivery of having cameras watch the drivers as well as all 4 quarters of the cars. One guy I worked with changed jobs because of nitpicking. I had to lift up to 60 pounds as a condition of employment. Many of the garages I delivered to were basically rude and forced me to enter through the garage which mean running an obstacle course, going under lifts with people working on cars. I got the feeling that most of the places were ripping off customers, who would have thought? I worked in an extremely high traffic area with no good way to get on the road we had to use for 90% of the deliveries. IF there was a wreck, total chaos. The other drivers would essentially go into kamikaze mode to get to where they wanted to go. Fun Fun! I was not bored in retirement, but looking at where things are going and realizing I need to put some more money away while I can. At least the new job at the range is a lot more pleasant.

If I get bored being retired I will likely look for a job as a parts runner, or transporting cars for car dealers. Easy enough to do. No heavy lifting. No being stuck in an office... GPS makes it easier than ever.
As a car dealership fixed operations director for years, I have always hired retired gentlemen to be our customer shuttle drivers. They would use our shuttle car to drive customers home when they dropped their vehicle off at the dealership for service. We would also have them pick people up and run them out to pick up some lunch if they chose to wait at the dealership for a bigger repair. These gentlemen seemed like they were happy to get out of the house and socialize a couple days a week. The job required no heavy lifting and all they had to do was drive the customers to their locations. I chose them because I knew they weren't racing around in our cars and they were friendly and able to have pleasant conversation with the customers they drove. I had many compliments over the years about all of them over the years. Some were so good customers would schedule their repairs for the days Mr. Price was driving the shuttle. That could be a viable option for a retired person looking to relieve some boredom.:)

Last edited:
Back