what wheel covers should i look for?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang sportsroof
1970 Mustang Hardtop
1972 Mercedes Benz 350 SLC European Version
1950 Ford Custom coupé
Hello people... here i am again posting... (do i post too much?) My job is easy in this time of the year.. jeje

Well... as you know i´m trying to find out how my car was when it came out of the factory, in order to know which part should i look for...

Here i´m wondering about wheels covers or hub caps... As far as i know (my data is a de luxe Marti Report) My car should have brought standard wheel covers... I found somewhere the image below that shows all hub caps available in 1972...

I´m gonna post my Marti Report too in case i´m missing something so.. feel free to tell me whatever you think can help!

Thanks!

wheelOptions71Mustang.jpg

marti report JPG.jpg

I'm not sure if you will ever know what wheels came on your car without a build sheet. If they are all correct for a 72 I would go with the magnum 500. or the sport wheel cover. Also I think you said it was an US embassy car maybe there is a photo somewhere. By the way your car looks great. Love the color.:) Mark

Thanks Mark! It´s Ivy Glow from a boss 429 1969 by the way :p

I thought about try to look for a picture with the past owners... US embassy is not very friendly over here so i dont know if i could get one of the car as brand new.. but i´ll try...

I know Magnum 500 were not their wheels because the past owner told me he used to have some original hub caps that he never found again...

Is there another document i can get that helps to this kind of searches?

Based on your original tires (E78 X 14 - the standard tire), I am pretty sure your car also had the base wheelcover - - a flat brushed aluminum type with 15 black-painted depression around the outside perimeter. They are pretty easy to find as they were used extensively.

In short, it would be similar (if not exactly) to the first one in your picture.

Hope this helps.

BT

That´s what i thought too... if it´s everything standard, hubcaps should be Std too...

I spoke with the past owner on saturday since he lives near my parents house and i asked him for a pícture of the car in the past, maybe it could help me find more details...

He said he was going to look for it and he told me like 20 years ago, the original caps were robbed but he used to have one ring the burglers couldnt take.... so... if i base on that, the factory wheel caps should be

the dog dish with ring... is that possible?

Was it possible to order any mustang with that type of hubcaps??

I also saw the trim rings are not easy to find to buy... the dog dish hubcaps maybe yes, but the rings i couldn´t find...

Yes Mark Thanks!.. I have 5 steel wheels like those, but they are 14 x 7, standard on 70 and i believe also in 71, 72 and 73...

The dogdish hubcaps are less rare than the trim rings...

Yesterday a measured one of this wheels but dont have the data here.. i´ll bring it tomorrow and i´ll thread about whether the bub caps and trim rings are suitable or i just go for the safest way, standard wheel covers...

Thanks again!

If you're interested I have a full set of the first covers pictured above. They are in pretty good shape and I won't be using them since I am going with a more modern style wheel. If you're interested shoot me a PM.

IMGP3440.jpg

Back