What's a good battery replacement for a Mach1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Ford Mustang 1972
I got a reading at O'Relly's saying I got a bad battery. It died on me few times in few days.
O 'Reilly gave me few choices:
1. AGM Super start platinum: CCA: 710 - $248
2. Super Start Extreme: CCA 725 - $208
3. Super Start Premium CCA 650 - $208
4. Super Start Premium CCA 710 - $198

Considering I won't be using it in the winter, although I live on the east coast.

I've got the Everstart Platinum AGM in size 24F. I've only had it for about 18 mos, but it has a 4 year full replacement warranty. Out here in AZ, the AGM batteries tend to last 2 - 2-1/2 times as long as a lead acid. $150

Here's another vote for the Everstart MAXX 24F. Picked one up over the summer for my '71. Been using Everstart MAXX batteries in our daily drivers for many years. Made by East Penn Manufacturing / Deka Batteries, where my neighbor works. At least this is in the eastern PA. Not sure, WM might use different manufacturers in various parts of the country. In my opinion all brands of batteries are not as robust as they used to be, but at least these are a good value for the money. The 24F is also flat on top so it might accept a Autolite battery topper. You probably already have this in place, but I'd also recommend a Battery Tender to be connected to the battery, especially while the car is being stored in winter.

I bought my 72 mach1 with a 429 Ram air back in March. I started having to charge the AGM anytime before I drove the car. After having my headers removed and manifolds put back on, the car wouldn't start. The muffler guy said the alternator wasn't putting out enough but found it was only a bad connection in the wiring. On the way home I bought a Motorcraft BXT24F. The AGM battery was dated 2015 so it had done a good job for a long time.

I have a Motorcraft battery in my 73 right now that is 5 years old. It has been reliable up to now but I know its days are numbered. Are Motorcraft batteries still available that would fit this car. I am the original owner and would like to keep it factory as much as possible.

I use the above mentioned Walmart for long trips. However, most of the time I now use the Braille B2317RP, which is only 17 lbs. I don't recommend it unless you are serious about weight savings, which is significant due to how far from the center of gravity the battery is. After a lot of research I went this route instead of relocating the battery to the trunk. It has enough CCA to easily crank my mini torque starter, but there is not enough capacity if you have electronics that consume power and you don't drive the car often. I have a trickle charger connected to it when parked in the garage. I made some slight modifications to the battery tray so I can easily go in between the two battery sizes.

I tried to get the top Motorcraft 24F battery this past summer, but two local Ford dealer parts departments could not get it in stock. I saw it available online but it could not be shipped. So I bought the Everstart Maxx 24F 36 month non-AGM battery. My '71 has the J-code 429 which would have had the 27F battery from the factory. I was going to purchase that, but realized that a 24F tray must have been used when the car was restored in the 90's.

Although a 24F will fit, and is appropriate for all but high electrical demand vehicles, I far prefer the added cranking amperage capacity of a 27F design battery. After watching the video from YouTube's Project farm (he compares a lot of different products) I saw the Walmart branded EverStart battery outperforms the 27F batteries. Until I was a raving fan of anything from Interstate, and I still like what they offer. But, I also trust what is shown with the Project Farm YouTube group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7rTcBanpMk

Although a 24F will fit, and is appropriate for all but high electrical demand vehicles, I far prefer the added cranking amperage capacity of a 27F design battery. After watching the video from YouTube's Project farm (he compares a lot of different products) I saw the Walmart branded EverStart battery outperforms the 27F batteries. Until I was a raving fan of anything from Interstate, and I still like what they offer. But, I also trust what is shown with the Project Farm YouTube group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7rTcBanpMk
If you want F24 Interstate AGM, Costco has them for &182.00.

Back