Wheel well moldings

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 dark green
While I am not a fan of the chrome (stainless?) wheel well moldings (had a lot of problems with them when I had my '72 Javelin AMX) my mustang needs either some work or install these as my wheel well lips have wear along with screw holes.  My mustang had JC Whitney mud flaps when I got it so there are a few extra holes in the lip.  I also noticed what looks like factory holes around the lip of the wheel wells as well.  Were these pre drilled for the moldings?  I looked on line for pictures of our cars with them and found very few.  Are any of you using those?  Pictures would be nice.  I see in a few other threads the repros are a bit thin but that may help with molding them to the well itself?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.    https://www.ebay.com/itm/360751515641?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

thanks

The majority of the bright trim on the 71-73s is bright dip anodized aluminum. The only stainless IIRC is the grill corral, and chrome was used only on badges and emblems. 

The quarter and fenders were pre-punched with the holes for the wheel trim, as they are standard Mustang parts, but they weren't available on the Mach 1 of any year. I've seen them added to plenty of them over the years, some people just like the look. IMO, if you have body damage, I'd try to address it before it gets worse, instead of covering it up. A little elbow grease and some touch up paint will help prevent further wear. 

The majority of the bright trim on the 71-73s is bright dip anodized aluminum. The only stainless IIRC is the grill corral, and chrome was used only on badges and emblems. 

The quarter and fenders were pre-punched with the holes for the wheel trim, as they are standard Mustang parts, but they weren't available on the Mach 1 of any year. I've seen them added to plenty of them over the years, some people just like the look. IMO, if you have body damage, I'd try to address it before it gets worse, instead of covering it up. A little elbow grease and some touch up paint will help prevent further wear. 
That's interesting! No Mach 1 got them from the factory? I had them with my car but give em away to my fathers convertible which had it orignally but missing. I ever wondered about if my Mustang had them from the factory as a part of a decor group and looked out for a good set to put them on some time. Thought that it had the holes in the fender wells only from the factory when ordered with the wheel well moldings. But now you have cleared that mystery - thank you  :thumb:

I have the repop moldings on my car. They seemed to fit pretty good to me with a little massaging around the body lines.  Use the factory holes for installation. They are barely visible from this angle. 

IMG_2850.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back