wheels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok folks kinda fit two of them up tonight.

Front- 17x8 with 4.5 backspacing

245/45r17's

Rear- 18x9.5 with 5.5 backspacing

275/40zr18's
It's about time ::tease:: looks real nice Roy ! Your not going to believe what a difference those wheels & tires are going to make in the handling dept !

Talking about wheels and tires... and reading scott´s post (above me here :p) Is it that big difference in handling, the wheel/tire choice?

I know low profile setups are harder and i can asume in turning, the car will behave more acurate but, what other pros does it have and what are the cons of going with a modern low profile setup?

Maybe we can discuss it and help the guys that are going to choose their setups in the future...

Thanks!

Thanks guys, I know the purest are holding their heads but there is nothing pure about my car except its pure and simply MINE.:D
Screw purists! That looks sweeeeet!::goodjob::

Aloha All

I want to run 20" rims in the rear & 18" rims front. Can any one tell me how wide of a rim to include back spacing can I mount and tire so the tires fit under the fenders with out rubbing?

John

Aloha All

I want to run 20" rims in the rear & 18" rims front. Can any one tell me how wide of a rim to include back spacing can I mount and tire so the tires fit under the fenders with out rubbing?

John
J..are u mini tubbed ? 20's may be problem in the back..For sure you can run 18's all around like mine..or like Tn go 18's rear 17's front

Mine... www.saturdaymorninggarage.com

Aloha All

John
Welcome John,

We would love to hear about you and more about your car. Give yourself an proper introduction so others will know to welcome you as well. From what I can see it looks like you have a very nice car.

Aloha All

As you might have guessed I am from hawaii and I have a 71 mach1. Currently I have 17 American racing rims. Just had it painted black, added Shelby LED taillights a dakato digital gauges. 351 Cleveland stroked to 429. It has a TKO 600 5 speed. I want to run 20 rear & 18 up front. I would like to have the tires tuck under the stock wheel wells. I see pictures of cars with the same setup. I was hoping some who has done to help we out with tire & rim size.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx Jeff for pointing out my thread.

@ ptafiredawg:

Tell us more about that Shelby taillight conversion. I've been wanting to do that for years, but never had the courage to pull it off.

Well pulled the trigger today and bought these wheels and tires.

245/45r17's

275/40zr18's
TN: What offsets are you running with those rims ?

245/45r17's

275/40zr18's
Not sure I know what you mean? they have 4.5 and 5.5 inch back spacing on them. let me check a few sites and see if back spacing and offset is the same.

Found this link it has a chart to show typical offsets in relation to back spacing

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

....and see if back spacing and offset is the same.
They are not the same, but they do influence each other.

Our cars usually had offset "0", which means that the mounting surface of the wheel (where the rim is bolted to the break disks or drums) is also the rim centerline. The wheel will protrude to the outside as much as it will to the inside.

Now modern rims usually have positive offset which causes the wheel to protrude inwards but hardly show a dish at the outside. That is why I had to use 40mm adapters so the rims would sit centered inside the wheelwell.

Backspacing only tells you, how deep the rim is from the mounting surface to the inboard flange of the rim.

Of course, a rim, lets say 9 inch wide will have a different backspacing with offset "0" than it will have with offset "3". As mentioned above these factors interact and influence each other.

That link provides some very good information. It's worth checking into!

245/45r17's

275/40zr18's
Not sure I know what you mean? they have 4.5 and 5.5 inch back spacing on them. let me check a few sites and see if back spacing and offset is the same.

Found this link it has a chart to show typical offsets in relation to back spacing

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
Ahhh, lets make it easy on ya, just send me your rims... :D

Here you go they have plenty:p

http://www.coyswheel.com/
Great, thanks for the site. But now I'm torn, go with the chrome or the black chrome ? I'm painting my car a dark burnt metallic orange (it's called Harley Davidson Sedona Orange) with black standard striping. Me thinks the black chrome might look better.

Here you go they have plenty:p

http://www.coyswheel.com/
Great, thanks for the site. But now I'm torn, go with the chrome or the black chrome ? I'm painting my car a dark burnt metallic orange (it's called Harley Davidson Sedona Orange) with black standard striping. Me thinks the black chrome might look better.
I went with the c57's not available in Black chrome, so that was easy. I called to see if I could get them to do a set of c5 with the polished lip and bc centers. No luck. I like the look of the black chrome myself.

Latest posts

Back