When's a good time to paint the car

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rambot

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
So I'm restoring/working on a 71 Mach 1. On top of the list is to get the engine going and make sure everything major mechanical component is in tip top shape, and test drive for a short bit. The car will need to be fully restored, as I've replaced small parts here and there, door handles, door locks, etc, I've realized, I will have to remove most of what I've replaced when it comes time to paint in order to what I believe will be a much better paint job. Originally, I had planned to get everything mechanical back in working order, and THEN paint, but I'm wondering how far along in the process did others get the paint job, and then continue on the restoration?

I'm taking this approach. I plan to have the dash assembled, and everything under the car done so I can test drive before going to paint. None of the trim or windows on the car of course. I also did a test fit so I know if I was going to get jammed up in paint. I had an after Markit hood and a fender from another car and wanted to make sure it was going to fit.

Check out my build thread to see what I've done if you like.

jim

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm taking this approach. I plan to have the dash assembled, and everything under the car done so I can test drive before going to paint. None of the trim or windows on the car of course. I also did a test fit so I know if I was going to get jammed up in paint. I had an after Markit hood and a fender from another car and wanted to make sure it was going to fit.

Check out my build thread to see what I've done if you like.

jim
+1

I had the motor and tranny in and took it to paint. I thought all would be good with the freshly rebuilt motor but had to pull the motor again after paint. I would have the drivetrain running before going to paint.

Latest posts

Back