Where Am I

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Santa Cruz, I think...

For 71coop, I'm guessing somewhere near Petra.
You got it - IN fact it is the top of Jebel Al-Mahdbah, the mountain in Petra that also has the Al-Kahzneh (known as the Treasury) carved into it's base. The  obelisks in the first picture weren't built - the top 25 or 30 feet of the mountain top were cut away and exposed the obelisks. Huge ancient worship complex on top of that mountain. My wife and I visited a little over a year ago.

IMG_1978.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
You got it - IN fact it is the top of Jebel Al-Mahdbah, the mountain in Petra that also has the Al-Kahzneh (known as the Treasury) carved into it's base. The  obelisks in the first picture weren't built - the top 25 or 30 feet of the mountain top were cut away and exposed the obelisks. Huge ancient worship complex on top of that mountain. My wife and I visited a little over a year ago.

View attachment 46765
Nice. I so want to go there. I am a little bit afraid of the geopolitical issues targeting American travelers.

I'm gonna guess near the southernmost point - but not certain. I was in Melbourne about 25 years ago with the USAF, and visited the southern tip and several areas along the coast - but don't recall if I actually saw the view you have there.
You are very close. It is along a very popular road and near a very popular site.

Nice. I so want to go there. I am a little bit afraid of the geopolitical issues targeting American travelers.
I understand that - but in fact, we felt very safe - visited Egypt, Jordan and Israel. The border crossing from Jordan to Israel and back was different than we expected - tight security and  you give up your passport for the crossing - but we never felt threatened or in any kind of danger. As with any different culture, if you're respectful, you'll get the same in return. I would encourage anyone to go.If you do, take at least 3-4  days in Petra and hike  the whole thing (we didn't have that much time and wish we did).Then go south to Wadi Rum and spend a couple days with the Bedouin camps. Well worth the trip.

You are very close. It is along a very popular road and near a very popular site.
I think I'm thinking of Wilson's promontory - but if that's not right I give.

You are correct, the Boardwalk at Santa Cruz, Christmas day, 2005.
I know it from passing thru there on our way down to Monterey...via 17 Mile Drive.

Not because I saw The Lost Boys....

I understand that - but in fact, we felt very safe - visited Egypt, Jordan and Israel. The border crossing from Jordan to Israel and back was different than we expected - tight security and  you give up your passport for the crossing - but we never felt threatened or in any kind of danger. As with any different culture, if you're respectful, you'll get the same in return. I would encourage anyone to go.If you do, take at least 3-4  days in Petra and hike  the whole thing (we didn't have that much time and wish we did).Then go south to Wadi Rum and spend a couple days with the Bedouin camps. Well worth the trip.
Oh man. So want to do that same trip. Pyramids, Petra and Israel. Some day!

I'd do it again in a heartbeat

Finally on the road headed to Yellowstone.   Was going to go last year but didn't due to the pandemic.  Left Friday morning and am out there somewhere.  Lets see if anyone can tell where our first stop was at for the weekend.  Here are a couple of pictures from the area we stayed at.

20210515_124447_resized.jpg

20210515_122123_resized.jpg

Back