• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Where to buy a hood?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanCampbell

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Hardtop
Hi Guys,

I would like to put a mach 1 style hood on my 73

Did some Google searches and was disappointed at selection, is there a good place to find one?

I would like to find a metal hood or metal reinforced fiberglass.

Thanks

Dan

I don't have one but good luck! At least you have the internet. When I was looking for a hood all I had was the local paper and a string of telephone calls. "I think I know a guy"... That type stuff. I spent years looking for tilt steering. I even went and looked at a cougar here in town. First thing you notice is they are color coded to the interior (not all black like ours). At the time I didn't understand how the tilt works so I thought it was broken. I finally found a guy in FLA who had one. I still have the receipt, I should go check out the date. Yeah, it was a lot more difficult before the internet.. that's for sure!

Hi Dan,

On ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-73-Mach-1-hood-excellent-condition-/320917148163?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab8271203&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1416

This hood has been painted the correct color on the bottom.It has been epoxy painted.It has been BLOCK SANDED It is ready for your paint.This hood is originally off a 73.It was in excellent condition.It required NO repair work.

Eddy
Thanks Eddy, that may be an option.

The repo hood I got from mustangs unlimited fits extremely well..It's one of the few aftermarket parts with good fit & finish..Not sure if there is more than one manufacturer.. So you may want check..

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-custom-hood-fabrication?highlight=custom+hood

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-custom-hood-on-the-car-pics?highlight=custom+hood
Q,

Forgive some obvious questions but is the hood metal or fiberglass?

If it is fiber glass does it have metal reinforcement in the hinge area?

I have been looking it up but the ads don't give much information.

Thanks

Dan

Great pics by the way!

Last edited by a moderator:
The repro nasa hoods are metal like the original ones

Prior to buying, and if your current hood fits well, I would take 2 diagonal measurements of your existing hood and compare that with what you are going to buy.

If you get matching dimensional numbers, I would expect you to have a good fit. If not, at least you can begin the process of deciding what needs to be done to get it to fit.

Although I am a ways from replacing my hood, my initial inquiries into 71-73 metal hoods indicated they match up really well. I considered fiberglas, but I don't think you can use springs with them, and I don't want to spend the time designing a support system.

Prior to buying, and if your current hood fits well, I would take 2 diagonal measurement of your existing hood and compare that with what you are going to buy.

If you get matching numbers, I would expect you to have a good fit. If not, at least you can begin the process of deciding what needs to be done to get it to fit.

Although I am a ways from replacing my hood, my initial inquiries are the 71-73 metal hoods available match up really well. I considered a fiberblas, but I don't think you can use springs with them, and I don't want to spend the time designing a support system.
Hi,

I'm taking a close look at the one from Dynacorn, price is fair and so far I'm reading great reviews.

I think it's the one Qcode351mach bought and that looks great, I'm not sure how much he had to do to get it to fit like that but it looks awesome!

Dan

Prior to buying, and if your current hood fits well, I would take 2 diagonal measurement of your existing hood and compare that with what you are going to buy.

If you get matching numbers, I would expect you to have a good fit. If not, at least you can begin the process of deciding what needs to be done to get it to fit.

Although I am a ways from replacing my hood, my initial inquiries are the 71-73 metal hoods available match up really well. I considered a fiberblas, but I don't think you can use springs with them, and I don't want to spend the time designing a support system.
There are all kinds of 12 step programs available to help you get the support you seek.

Hi,

I'm taking a close look at the one from Dynacorn, price is fair and so far I'm reading great reviews.

I think it's the one Qcode351mach bought and that looks great, I'm not sure how much he had to do to get it to fit like that but it looks awesome!

Dan
I can direct ship the DII one 315.00 + shipping

There are all kinds of 12 step programs available to help you get the support you seek.
Do they have one for spray painting from a can?

i ordered mine from Mustangs unlimited years ago before i knew about don at Ohio.

what sucks about ordering anything that large is it must be drop shipped via freight and it will get battered in transport. my hood had the edges next to the windshield all bent up because the trucker that delivered it refused to lay it flat as instructed to, because he wanted to save space for more loads. i kept it and bent the hood back into shape because my original was so far gone the new hood even damaged was an improvement. I'm going to take a tip from a friend the next time i replace any hood Drive to the place that sells it without a hood, pray for not getting pulled over, bolt it on at the destination then drive back.

If you do get the hood to arrive 100% undamaged then Awesome. I ordered 2 large metal panels one was the hood the other was a quarter sheet metal, the hood was banged up a bit but usable the quarter was crushed and had to be returned for a full refund.

i ordered mine from Mustangs unlimited years ago before i knew about don at Ohio.

what sucks about ordering anything that large is it must be drop shipped via freight and it will get battered in transport. my hood had the edges next to the windshield all bent up because the trucker that delivered it refused to lay it flat as instructed to, because he wanted to save space for more loads. i kept it and bent the hood back into shape because my original was so far gone the new hood even damaged was an improvement. I'm going to take a tip from a friend the next time i replace any hood Drive to the place that sells it without a hood, pray for not getting pulled over, bolt it on at the destination then drive back.

If you do get the hood to arrive 100% undamaged then Awesome. I ordered 2 large metal panels one was the hood the other was a quarter sheet metal, the hood was banged up a bit but usable the quarter was crushed and had to be returned for a full refund.
yes..I use to deliver for a autoparts delivery service....I always hated getting hoods...Cause the corners would allways get banged up...Same with loads shifting in the big truck and crushing on hoods...I took back atleast 60% i delivered due to damage....They realy need to figure out a better way of packing them things..But i guess as the box packing gets better...so does the cost that will be passed down too you.....Its too bad you couldnt drive to ohio and get it from them..hehe...Just remmeber...When the hood shows up...keep the delivery guy there...And check the hood for big damage..Do not accept till you check it out.

Back