Where to find longer drum front wheel studs?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71' Grande project.
I have a feeling what I want isn't made. 

On the front of my car I am running drum brake spindles with 13" SN95 cobra brakes.  The stock front drum wheel studs are perfect in every way, the shoulder is a press fit into the rotor.  Only catch is they are short.  I don't know for sure what wheels I will run yet, but they will be alloy for sure.  I would like to have longer studs so that no matter what wheels I run I won't have to pull the hubs back off again.

What I am looking for is a wheel stud with a knurl diameter of .615-.625", shoulder length of .625 (no less than .550" no more than .670").  Length of  2-3"

The stock replacements are a Wagner BD61138 or a Doorman 610-153

There are a zillion 2-3" studs out there with a .625" knurl diameter, but all of them have a pretty short shoulder that won't protrude into the disk like I want.

Seems odd that no one makes a longer version of the oem ones.

Appreciate your time,

Peter

I have a feeling what I want isn't made. 

On the front of my car I am running drum brake spindles with 13" SN95 cobra brakes.  The stock front drum wheel studs are perfect in every way, the shoulder is a press fit into the rotor.  Only catch is they are short.  I don't know for sure what wheels I will run yet, but they will be alloy for sure.  I would like to have longer studs so that no matter what wheels I run I won't have to pull the hubs back off again.

What I am looking for is a wheel stud with a knurl diameter of .615-.625", shoulder length of .625 (no less than .550" no more than .670").  Length of  2-3"

The stock replacements are a Wagner BD61138 or a Doorman 610-153

There are a zillion 2-3" studs out there with a .625" knurl diameter, but all of them have a pretty short shoulder that won't protrude into the disk like I want.

Seems odd that no one makes a longer version of the oem ones.

Appreciate your time,

Peter
Yea, I wish I kept some of them after throwing them in the scrape heap. I just figured they made them everyday and I get new ones if needed...

I trudged through the entire PDF of all the studs Dorman makes.

Found two that look promising.

610-290. 1/2-20 Knurl diameter of .619", shoulder length of .594" length of 2.188"

610-480. 1/2-20 Knurl diameter of .619", shoulder length of .652" length of 2.24"

Winner winner chicken dinner.  I could press the disks on as they have the exact same hole size as the shoulder OD, but I think I am going to ream them up to 39/64" so they will slip on and off the hubs with about .009" slop.

Back