Which Console?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptrmzr

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 351C 4V 4sp 3.50L
So I finally found the car I had been searching for about 6 weeks ago and I am starting to sort things out. It's a very original car, but a previous owner removed the console. What was in place of the console was this "filler plate" or "surround" that looks like it might go under either a mini console or a full length.

So I have 3 questions:

1. Is this thing in the pictures below original?

2. If so what console did it go to?

3. Any ideas on how to confirm what the car came with?

The marti report lists a 'Console' so I looked underneath and there are no screw holes on the sides of the tunnel from a full length console and there is only one screw hole in front of the shifter boot (towards the back of the car) and it is too far off to one side for the mini console screw hole locations.

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

Thanks,

Peter

Update: I just looked at the build sheet and it is marked 'C' for console...

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the filler plate you have was used with the "mini" console that surrounded the shifter and had an ash tray in it. The filler plate without the notch in it was used on the full length console.

If the Marti says console - it is a full console

Mini console was standard and would not be on the report

Don

Have exactly the same on both of my 4 speed 71 mustangs with full length consoll.

// Thomas

Really! Thomas I am glad you replied cuz I was about to wing the thing! Strangely it doesn't have a Ford part number just a number 2 molded on the underside. Your comment is more evidence that the car came with a full length console. Are you fairly certain it is original?

Have not had any of the two 71 mustangs since they were new so I can not say with certainty that it is original.

I think myself that it is strange that there is no Ford spare part number on it.

I do not even have the number 2 on the one I have in my hand in front of me now.

But the 71 I still have, has been in this town since it was new, and has never been touched by any modifiers.

Until I bought it. ;)

Found this in MPC.

"Bezel transmission gear shift lever boot"

D1ZZ 7E391-A 8 5/16 "Long. 6 1/2 Wide. 1/8 Thick.

The dimensions match down the one I have in my hand.

/ / Thomas

Peter, sounds like you may be looking for a full length console for that Mach 1.

I had a shortly humphugger in mine (Velcro) which actually was quite comfortable and had decent cup holders but eventually picked a full length Ginger console up from Ebay. The full length look better but don't have cup holders and it's a pain to remove them if you need to do intricate dash electrical work later on.

Thanks everyone for your replies! Thomas, How did you find that part in the MPC without it being in the illustration section???

I think for now I am going to pick up a "mini" console (or as the MPC calls it : a consolette) to make it presentable until the the right deal comes along for a full length...

I found it in the illustration section 73 page 9.

The picture shows a 1970, but the text also displays "7E391 (71 /)."

// Thomas

So I received the Ford Invoice from Marti and the 'Suggested Retail Price' for the Console was $60. (The 'Amount' was $47.44)

Does anyone with a full length console (and invoice) have these amounts on your invoice?

Off topic: Anyone know what is meant by 'Steel Guard Rails' on the invoice under 'Included At No Extra Cost'?

Thanks!

73StangCoupe, you must be refering to Thomas'...mine is bare-bones by comparison. My favorite missing feature is power steering!

Yes it is the invoice from Lois Eminger.

Here is a picture of the entire invoice.

Unfortunately I sold this car ten years ago.

IMG_0063.JPG

Whoa! Landis Ford (now Malouf Ford) used to be a few miles up Route 1 from where I live. Do you know where the car went when you sold it?

Yes I know the current owner, he is a friend of the person I bought it from in 1982. So he knew the car. But he is the third owner after me.

/ / Thomas

IMG_0058.JPG

73StangCoupe, you must be refering to Thomas'...mine is bare-bones by comparison. My favorite missing feature is power steering!
Oops... trying to follow some of these threads will make your head spin. That car was really optioned nicely... just missing AC. Good luck with yours.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Back