Which exhaust tips?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister 4x4

Too Big to Sneak
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
Hello Eric,

Wow, I cannot find any specs on those tips. Plus, looking through the Ford Master parts info, I cannot locate the G part number in D1ZZ-5255-G . I looked at the Scott Drake catalog for the 71-73 Mach 1 dual exhaust kit and it had the pipe size listed 2.25 inches. So, I would assume, I hate to assume, that the D1ZZ-5255-G exhaust tips will install on the 2.25 inch pipes.

You might want to call a vendor and ask if that is the case on the 2.25 inch size.

2vn2qfs.jpg

mustang7173 :)

All,

Where can we find some, at a decent price, that the outside will not rust after about one year? The Chrome look is nice, but dog gone it, looks like crap after a while.

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
those 71-73 will not work with a 2.5" exhaust unless the tailpipe tube is turned down on the ends. even then the fit of those is horrible. I had to cut mine up and resection the band clamp to fit them correctly

the original tailpipes are fitted as Left and right versions. the scott drake version is just a right side version if i remember. the issue is how the band camps sit in relation to the fuel tank and fuel lines.

if you install the tailpipes as is in an accident they will puncture the fuel tank, so i had to cut the clamps off and reorient them i also remember i had to shorten the neck like 2 inches on both sides.

i used the kit exhaust with the 2.25" turn downs on the ends so the tailpipes ends would fit.

i just remembered i also cut vertical slits in the necks of the tailpipe end pieces because even the turn downs were a little big. Man i had to butcher those things to fit.

Those are nice, too. Hafta add them to the short list. :D

All of the others are 3" outlets... I think the 2.5" outlets would look just fine as well.

When I got my exhaust system built at Ed Hanson's in San Diego, he had a huge selection of tips. I ended up going with 3" Stainless Steel Double Walled Slash Cut. They look really nice and compliment the factory cutouts in the rear valance perfectly. The 3" doesn't look too big and when they are clean, the look great!

Back