Which TKO Supplier

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhazbun

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach I
I've decided on putting a TKO-600 into my 73 Mach I. There are several different companies that sell the TKO-600 with various mods.

Modern Driveline can provide a complete kit.

Keisler Engineering can provide a semi-complete kit (need to get the clutch cable kit from Modern Driveline) along with a a transmission who's case has been milled to make it physically smaller.

Liberty Gears can provide a TKO-600 where the internals have been modified to provide smoother shifting.

I'm looking for advice from people who have done this mod before. Has anyone ordered from Keisler ? Is the milling of the transmission required to get it to fit easily into the car? How much trimming did you need to do on the shifter hole? Which bellhousing did you use?

Thanks in advance.

Here are photos of the transmissions both stock and as modified by Keisler:

258rprs.jpg

1zmz8ue.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No fitment issues for TKO-500 or 600 with the 1971-73 models. The shifter hole doesn't need

to be cut either. The Kessler case modification is for the earlier Mustang models 1965-68 (maybe 69-70 too), so the TKO doesn't hit the tunnel. So get your TKO-600 from anywhere (find the best deal).

I got a McLeod scattershield and a clutch cable for easy install. I'm finding out, the cable may be a problem with long tube headers though.

No fitment issues for TKO-500 or 600 with the 1971-73 models. The shifter hole doesn't need

to be cut either. The Kessler case modification is for the earlier Mustang models 1965-68 (maybe 69-70 too), so the TKO doesn't hit the tunnel. So get your TKO-600 from anywhere (find the best deal).

I got a McLeod scattershield and a clutch cable for easy install. I'm finding out, the cable may be a problem with long tube headers though.
Thanks. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I plan on doing a standard aluminum bellhousing an also using a cable clutch to start with. I might convert to a hydraulic clutch later on once I have the car running and driveable.

Have you run into any shift issues with the TKO? I have heard of problems shifting above 5000 rpm with the TKO.. apparently Liberty Gears modifies their transmissions to help smooth the shifts. (carbon fiber blocking rings, bronze shift forks, plated gears, upgraded internal linkage)... I've read from some people that these upgrades are worth it, and from others that it's a waste of money, because the friction parts will eventually wear over time returning the transmission to the default behavior.

You might want to read Tnfastbk's thread about hyd clutch linkage(linked on your other thread). I think I'll stick with my tried-and-true cable!!

As for shifting: 2nd to 3rd takes some getting used to, but not bad at all. You just can't force it. It's just street driven so it does't get past 5k anyway. I got a Hurst shifter for the vintage 4-speed look (if that makes a difference).

I've done modern drivelines while kit!! No problems at all.

351 or 460???

I've done modern drivelines while kit!! No problems at all.

351 or 460???
The engine is a 351C with 2V heads.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.

Tnafstbk, I'm going to call American Powertrain this week.

WOW. I think I have fallen in love with a transmission.... Maybe when the C6 dies. My one concern is my height, I am 6'4" and one time when I drove a factory 4spd with delux doors I couldn't get my foot on the clutch without my knee hitting the door handle or steering wheel. Can that be 'fixed' by using a cable or hydo clutch setup?

WOW. I think I have fallen in love with a transmission.... Maybe when the C6 dies. My one concern is my height, I am 6'4" and one time when I drove a factory 4spd with delux doors I couldn't get my foot on the clutch without my knee hitting the door handle or steering wheel. Can that be 'fixed' by using a cable or hydo clutch setup?
Dont think so the pedals stay in the stock locations

Dont think so the pedals stay in the stock locations
Do you think I can make it a short throw? Could I make it so the pedal doesn't come up as far?

ditto!!!

To will e:

I'm 6'1" and my knee just (comfortably) fits between the stock 15" steering wheel and door.

6'4" may be a problem though. Not sure about pedal height adjustment but you could just get a smaller

diameter steering wheel to solve the problem. The side benefit is that you will also have quicker more responsive steering. Grant makes a 13.5" wood and chrome that looks great in these cars.

To will e:

I'm 6'1" and my knee just (comfortably) fits between the stock 15" steering wheel and door.

6'4" may be a problem though. Not sure about pedal height adjustment but you could just get a smaller

diameter steering wheel to solve the problem. The side benefit is that you will also have quicker more responsive steering. Grant makes a 13.5" wood and chrome that looks great in these cars.
or maybe move the seat back a little...

I like the stock steer wheel look (my car looks pretty stock on the inside) but you are right, with the right replacement it would still look old school... hmmm a 5 speed would be so much fun.

Back