Why such negativity?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Until your trying to get parts and you are priced out of the market by the latest resto craze. Just sayin I understand but it is a double edged knife. Seen it happen with various cars that were hot all of a sudden.

My dad is having a hell of a time getting parts for the 67 Ford Galaxie he is restoring. Because dudes with buckets of money are pricing him right out of the market for usable parts.
I have a neat option for one of those it's an am 8 track indash with factory bezel and 4 speaker setup with fader I pulled at a pick n pull a few years ago from a realy nice car it also has a fader setup the front speakers bolt under the dash. It is complete except for knobs. For the 67 galaxies. I think I have pics in my photobucket.

The thing you guys are missing is timing of what to buy and when to buy it. 71-73 Mustangs are nevermore to be just a cheap used car that almost anyone can finda decent example for low cost.

The trick is to buy a future-collectible before the low-forhead collectors latch on to them and start snapping them up.

Here is my tip for anyone who wants an awesome future-collectable for mere pocket-change:

87-92 Lincoln Mk-VII LSC.

Beautiful body style, great option content. Best of all? 5.0 HO engine. The ONLY car other than the Mustang GT that Ford ever put the 225 horse 5.0 in.

Full Mustang GT-style suspension, fabulous sport seats, great gauges, handles great, quick for its era

These cars retailed for $28,000- $32,000 when new...today a good condition, pampered example can easily be had for $1000 or less.

I have THREE of them...all bought for less than $800 each, all in great condition.

It is a great car to drive and to collect.

Dont be sorry in ten years and say nobody told you...
Kit I too have had 2 of the LSC's and agree they are great cars with good mileage to boot!
Just looked these up as I had no idea what they looked like. I'd drive 1 for $800:cool: I think they are at that point that they are just old enough for the styling to be interesting again.

Last edited by a moderator:
kit....looking forward to the day 7173 mustangs start to shoot up in value its time to get the respect and value these car deserve,thats why you buy cars in the classic car market before they go for high prices,its called getting in early on the market....for prices on used parts geting pricey thats the collector business,were still so far behind on value on our years 7173.
If you want to make money that way, I suggest the stock market. It's more predictable.

That, and if you do make a windfall on your '72 convertible, remember this: You'll never get a chance to buy another cheap to flip again.

You'll also never get a chance to own one again purely for fun, even if you can afford it. There'll always be a little voice in the back of your head freaking out about wear, accidents, road crud leading to rust...

I have a neighbor with a '69 Shelby GT350 convertible. Was wrecked 10 years ago; he finally put it back together. Drove it a lot a few months ago. Soon as he put the stripes on it and polished it up, it disappeared into the garage.

-Kurt

These cars ( along with all collector cars in general) peaked in value in the late 80s/ early 90s then cooled considerably throughout the 2000's.

They have now started to climb again, but are not quite to thier previous highest levels.

But...they are on thier way. The "50 years old" status now puts them into the "nice antique car" category, a higher echelon of appreciation and value than just the "nice old car" category they existed in previously.

Last edited:
I have seen way too many owners of nice collectible cars loose the desire to enjoy their cars because of increased value. It is a two sided coin; for one the cars appreciate in value and offer some pride to the owner, knowing they made such a great investment. On the other side they are forced to realize if they ever want to capture that financial gain, the car will require the highest level of care and protection. One small door dent in a fully restored Shelby could cost a seller $4k off the sale price. A chipped,

date-coded Carlite windshield could cost over $1,000 to replace - maybe more! It becomes scary for them to actually drive their cars just thinking about what might happen. The more one invests in their cars with time and money, the more careful they are with them.

I respect anyone's vehicle. Heck I about fell out of my 96 Buick daily driver trying to hold the door in high wind to not dent an older Dodge mini pickup with faded paint and hail dents! Just too many years of habit trying to not dent other's vehicles...

Ray

kurt im not trying to sell my mustang.

who makes money in the stock market anymore not the working man!

i said i can;t wait for the value to go up like other classics.

im going to bow out of saying anything any more on this site don;t want to hurt any ones feeling was not my intensions.

kit....looking forward to the day 7173 mustangs start to shoot up in value its time to get the respect and value these car deserve,thats why you buy cars in the classic car market before they go for high prices,its called getting in early on the market....for prices on used parts geting pricey thats the collector business,were still so far behind on value on our years 7173.
If you want to make money that way, I suggest the stock market. It's more predictable.

That, and if you do make a windfall on your '72 convertible, remember this: You'll never get a chance to buy another cheap to flip again.

You'll also never get a chance to own one again purely for fun, even if you can afford it. There'll always be a little voice in the back of your head freaking out about wear, accidents, road crud leading to rust...

I have a neighbor with a '69 Shelby GT350 convertible. Was wrecked 10 years ago; he finally put it back together. Drove it a lot a few months ago. Soon as he put the stripes on it and polished it up, it disappeared into the garage.

-Kurt

-Kurt
well stated....the only people thinking these cars are an "investment" grade is the guys trying to sell some fool with too much money one at an auction. An auctioneer will tell you whatever you want to hear for his seller. Personally being in the market for a convertible I haven't seen one yet that I think is worth more than 15k

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4660318743.html

this car is near the ranch and I stopped and checked it out. sloppy work cheezy tires etc etc. Somebody with little knowledge following the auctions and watching Counting Cars, AzzMonkey will think they got a bargain.

kurt im not trying to sell my mustang never said i wanted to sell it and make money.

who makes money in the stock market anymore not the working man!

all said was i can;t wait for the value to go up like other classics.

im going to bow out of saying anything any more on this site don;t want to hurt any ones feeling that was not my intensions.

thanks for everyone who helped me out thru out the years with my mustang some great people on this site.

no hard feelings.

-Kurt

I don't think he was calling you out in particular, Ron... just making the point that cars in general are not good money-making ventures.

Edit: Although, I did have a chance to buy one of those "investment quality" cars right after I bought my pile. It was a '71 M-Code, but otherwise almost identical to mine... and almost perfect in every way. Started at $25K (when I looked at it), and finally sold to someone in San Angelo for around $19K. Someone out of town paid a little more of it a few years later. You know what? I never saw that car again after it left the place I saw it - the local owner stuffed it in his garage, and I never saw it at shows, parades, or anything - then, an ad online later, and it was gone forever.

But - those cars are getting fewer and farther between. Unfortunately, the dedicated flippers haven't figured out what reality actually is.

My dad and I have made plenty of cash flipping classic cars once and a while. What i see wrong with most car flippers, they go after only a few styles . I seen my dad get a 1960 caddy hearse for 2000 bucks 2006ish, he sold it for 22,000 on ebay just 3 months later ....Cars can be a great investment, if you plan on just moving it down the road and not stuck on just a few types. and not be attached to them, Best to stay out of styles you really care about..lol" plus have room to store them" Good thing i live i the desert and got plenty of land..lol

But as for 71-73's as a great car to flip? maybe if you get amazing price for it..But that will be hard in our years now days,, They are more respected now and people tend to think they are worth more than they really are. This is not the type of car i would be looking at to flip money on..Back when i was in high school i got mine for 1500, i had offers over 10,000 and turned them all down, but if i would of pilled them up a round my house for 1500 back in school?..Sure thing i could of made some money down the road on them.

My dad and I have made plenty of cash flipping classic cars once and a while. What i see wrong with most car flippers, they go after only a few styles . I seen my dad get a 1960 caddy hearse for 2000 bucks 2006ish, he sold it for 22,000 on ebay just 3 months later ....Cars can be a great investment, if you plan on just moving it down the road and not stuck on just a few types. and not be attached to them, Best to stay out of styles you really care about..lol" plus have room to store them" Good thing i live i the desert and got plenty of land..lol

But as for 71-73's as a great car to flip? maybe if you get amazing price for it..But that will be hard in our years now days,, They are more respected now and people tend to think they are worth more than they really are. This is not the type of car i would be looking at to flip money on..Back when i was in high school i got mine for 1500, i had offers over 10,000 and turned them all down, but if i would of pilled them up a round my house for 1500 back in school?..Sure thing i could of made some money down the road on them.
:D yep... I've made more money on Miata, Honda and my all time favorites....a 1999 Ford van, 1500 retailed at 3000 used it for a year and SOLD, a 1996 Buick land yacht. Bought her for 1500 and sold for 4500. Now it took marketing to a Brutha but hey I knew who to market it too. Saw it a few months later and YES....big ole 22's on it. I was happy and so was he. OH and I used it as a work car till it sold BINGO.

The biggest problem with flipping our cars, is the expense and limited availability of replacement parts. That, and the market value is not congruent with the "Vintage Mustangs" ('64.5-'68 especially - even '69-'70 don't share the replacement parts market success as the earlier models).

Based on initial investment (purchase price), additional investment (parts, labor, services, and materials), and final sale price, there is not a lot of room for "profit," bounced against fair market value of the car - so you're better off not using '71-'73 Mustangs as any kind of market venture, is what Kurt was trying to say. ;) :D

Getting a nice car for cheap, spending more in sweat equity than cash for replacement parts, and the fair market value and/or sale price bringing in a decent profit is the lesser frequent occurrence these days.

As well, the recent exposure on Counting Cars and Fast & Loud certainly hasn't hurt, but those two completely different shows have had their own impact. I believe there is more respect for Count's Kustoms, as they aren't trying to be anything they aren't - they're a high-end custom shop and are honest about their work being expensive. Gas Monkey Garage, however, misrepresents in the worst way (shoots for ridiculous profit, claims more invested than reality, claims more done than reality) - they are the worst possible publicity for flippers, bordering on being dishonest IMHO. Don't get me wrong, Gas Monkey Garage has the potential to do a lot of nice work... but the "show" has gotten in the way of that, IMHO. Unfortunately, everybody expecting to turn a profit on flipping a "classic car" is starting to look our way, which is also driving the prices up... but in a bit of a negative manner.

:D yep... I've made more money on Miata, Honda and my all time favorites....a 1999 Ford van, 1500 retailed at 3000 used it for a year and SOLD, a 1996 Buick land yacht. Bought her for 1500 and sold for 4500. Now it took marketing to a Brutha but hey I knew who to market it too. Saw it a few months later and YES....big ole 22's on it. I was happy and so was he. OH and I used it as a work car till it sold BINGO.
Ohh ya..Did the same on a little toyota camry ..I traded a sks too my cousin for it " I paid 120 for the sks "..I had a good idea who to market it too..lol I drove it around for half a year and sold it for 1000...cannot be brand bias " even if its british or from europe" lol i would flip a jag or a MG any day if i got it cheap ;)..lol

Heck i just watched my dad last week sell one of his 1950 fords for 5,000..he got it for 2500 out of a barn earlier this year, and put less half a day of his own time getting it too run correctly...Flipping now days is about timing and your local market, and a good eye on how much work it will need.." if any"...But over all i agree a 71-73 mustang is not a good investment to turn a buck, unless you get it on the cheap. But there are alot of classics out there to make cash on. You got to think out of the box a little and not be stuck on what you like personally.

I love Craigslist - period!

Old enough to remember the Sunday morning papers classifieds being the only local option? That sucked and was expensive to sell stuff.

Auto Trader magazines you had to buy? - black and white picks and still sucked and was still costly.

Free local traders full of local dealers crap?

Hemmings? Still hanging on but soon to go all digital. No cheap cars.

Early online classic car sites? Life was starting to get better but few cheap cars.

Then comes craigslist - We have bought and sold so much on CL and it has proven to help make this silly hobby of mine self funding.

Like others have said keep an open mind - just flipped a 1992 HO 5.0 T-bird. Very clean car that just needed a little TLC. Paid 1400.00, put less than 200.00 additional into it and sold it for 2700.00 - all on the local CL.

A 78 Firechicken went online late Saturday night and was sold by Sunday morning. $900.00 and the pictures and description looked great. I would have bought that in a heartbeat and would easily have made a few grand.

Most of all it is fun and I have met some very unique people.

- Paul

Im going to bow out of saying anything any more on this site don;t want to hurt any ones feeling was not my intensions.

Hi Ron,

Please don't stop sending your opinions and ideas on the forum. Your opinions and what you have to say are respected and valued, and you have every right to express them. I know you havn't set out to intentionally abuse anyone or hurt feelings, and i don't think you have.

When you put forward a thread involving a stong point of view revolving around a controversial subject, you are bound to get heated debate and strong opions back from folk. The trick is not to take it personally. I welcome and respect what you have to say, and i'm glad you put up your thread, and got a robust response.

I'm sure the Admin boys on the forum would agree with me when i say that the key is......... that we may sometimes disagree with each other, but still end up respecting each other in the bigger sense. The forum is a great way to make friends, not enemies.

So keep it coming brother, and i look forward to any further comments you want to make in the future.:)

Thanks Ron,

Cheers,

Greg.:)

+1 for what Greg said. Ron you are entitled to your opinion mate as others are entitled to disagree and state their own opinions. I thought it was a good discussion on a topic that is only likely to have people respond with a personal point of view. It is some time hard to convey the correct tone in a typed format because we are car guys not Ernest Hemingway ;) Stick around.

Im going to bow out of saying anything any more on this site don;t want to hurt any ones feeling was not my intensions.

Hi Ron,

Please don't stop sending your opinions and ideas on the forum. Your opinions and what you have to say are respected and valued, and you have every right to express them. I know you havn't set out to intentionally abuse anyone or hurt feelings, and i don't think you have.

When you put forward a thread involving a stong point of view revolving around a controversial subject, you are bound to get heated debate and strong opions back from folk. The trick is not to take it personally. I welcome and respect what you have to say, and i'm glad you put up your thread, and got a robust response.

I'm sure the Admin boys on the forum would agree with me when i say that the key is......... that we may sometimes disagree with each other, but still end up respecting each other in the bigger sense. The forum is a great way to make friends, not enemies.

So keep it coming brother, and i look forward to any further comments you want to make in the future.:)

Thanks Ron,

Cheers,

+1 for what Greg said. Ron you are entitled to your opinion mate as others are entitled to disagree and state their own opinions. I thought it was a good discussion on a topic that is only likely to have people respond with a personal point of view. It is some time hard to convey the correct tone in a typed format because we are car guys not Ernest Hemingway ;) Stick around.

+1 well said guys. Ron, glad to have you, your car - and your own opinions HERE! :)

This goes for all on here! I'd buy you all a beer (or beverage of choice) BUT Dana reminded me just how BROKE I am right now... can't even afford to talk to him if he visits my city :p :(

I DO know some cheap burger dives! :D

Ray

Very good discussion, grown ups don't have to agree on everything to appreciate or respect what we do. Its when people start acting petty over shit. One nice thing about this site compared to many other car sites I frequent.

Another thread brought up the fact that one or some other Moostang sites you are pariah if you go against the grain. Some will happily show you the door if you don't conform to the groupthink.

Hi Ron,

Thanks Ron,

Cheers,

+1 well said guys. Ron, glad to have you, your car - and your own opinions HERE! :)

This goes for all on here! I'd buy you all a beer (or beverage of choice) BUT Dana reminded me just how BROKE I am right now... can't even afford to talk to him if he visits my city :p :(

I DO know some cheap burger dives! :D

Ray
Dana wont buy me a sport fury so I aint buying him beer. I think this is a fair arrangement, Oh and he is probably good for steak about now too :p

Very good discussion, grown ups don't have to agree on everything to appreciate or respect what we do. Its when people start acting petty over shit. One nice thing about this site compared to many other car sites I frequent.

Another thread brought up the fact that one or some other Moostang sites you are pariah if you go against the grain. Some will happily show you the door if you don't conform to the groupthink.

Yeah, i agree. This is a great site, run well, is sensible and mature, full of top info, yet we can have some fun and horse around when we want. Personally, this is the only international forum site i am involved with.

..............and Luke, you ain't gettin' nothin' from Dana!:p:p:p

Cheers

Damn..... I am offline for a couple of hours to do a little work make a buck or two so I don't have to talk with Boss 1 .... make a few more bucks to keep and wave them in front of Luke with the promise of a Fury and a steak, done accomplished convincing Greg he wasn't getting a beer, Fury or steak.......I come back and BAM....my reputation is shot!!

Dang what is this world coming to.

Back