WIDE-BODY KIT FROM SCRATCH

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again guys. I don't know if I mentioned it but I did find a local person that vacuum forms larger pieces than what fits into a standard kitchen oven. This oven is capable of fitting a 4x8 sheet into it. The man is willing to work with me in getting a rear glass made from my MDF buck Marco CNC for me. It may take 4 or 5 attempts to get a usable piece but it's still more cost effective than custom making my own oven only to potentially run into my own inexperience. The piece would possibly be too thick for the amount of suction I currently have and I'd lose too much detail. Should be a few weeks away before I can show you guys something but that's cool with me as long as there is something TO show. Fingers crossed it works in polycarbonate. Oh and I'd be looking into the "smoked" and not the clear so it's already tinted. Then I'd have to use one of the less perfect attempts to work out the 3M film I'd put on the outside to make it resistant to scratching. Once the shape is perfected we do it on the final piece wrap it and put it away for the great day that it goes into the finished car.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0222.JPGIMG_0250.JPGI thought I posted these two pics. Lens without the bezel surround. And sitting in the car with a couple of lights in the trunk for effect.

IMG_0381.PNGHi all. I'm very pleased to tell you that Marco went ahead and made a buck that would be a direct retrofit to a stock 71-73 mustang. With that being said I went ahead and formed it this morning and once I did that I couldn't leave it alone. I then went ahead and painted it.

IMG_0391.PNGIMG_0390.PNGIMG_0389.PNGThis is the result. We will be able to offer it this way. Also we will be able to have all three clear centres in red if that is preferred or red with only the center remaining clear for reverse. Should need to have nothing more than the rubber seal swapped out from your stock lens to this one. If there is interest, these can be made and sold since they are not what I will have on my build. The tail lights from my build  I will not be reproducing until my build is finished. Once Marco and I have a few sets made we will be happy to ship out to anyone who's interested. We haven't put a price to a pair yet but we'll discuss it after we get better idea  of time and materials.

To clarify, my own build has tail lights and a tail light panel that are not meant for a stock aplication. Cutting of the stock panel is needed.

I hope I'm not confusing everyone. The top of the page is showing the back of my car with the tail light I made inside it. That whole set up is for my car only. It is a two pice construction. It's a completely different size and shape than stock but still looks reasonably stock. As I said that set up is meant only for my car. The lenses I posted today in the above pictures is a one piece thermal form that is a whole other design that was created for any 71-73 stock opening replacement. Nothing to do with my build. This is just so that anyone who was looking for something a little different for their car has something available now. Of course these LENS replacements are not tested to meet any standards so they are explicitly to be used off road on the race track. Not meant for road use. If you chose to use these on your daily drivers it will be at your own risk. They are so high tech in that they shine light through them, that they could potentially kill someone or whatever rule that doesn't allow them for road use. Seriously. The only way I can sell anyone a pair is if you comply with the rule of "off road use" If you tell me they're for your street car I can't sell them to you.

Hi Angelo,

I have not caught up with you in a while, but have been following your thread with interest.  First up, congratulations to yourself and Marco, with all your hard work on your project so  far. The whole thing is coming along fantastically, and you should be very proud of yourselves indeed.

My talking to you today, revolves around an interest in your tail light invention. I have just read your last post, and was very impressed with what you have come up with on the straight fit into stock 1,2,3 Mustangs. I myself could be a potential buyer from you at some stage, depending on the finished product and the cost of it. I did have a couple of basic questions for you though.  Was it your intention at any stage, to design the three separate surrounding red line sections, so that they themselves could be lit up as well as the center sections? Also, in your design, could  a buyer make use, and install the new sequencIal  LED lights that C J Pony sell, if they wanted to go that way?

Let me know what you think Angelo when you get a chance.

Many thanks,

Greg. :)

The red line sections do light up. They were clear and then I painted the back of it with candy red paint which is translucent. They will definitely work with the led panel if it's the same flat panel that is made for our cars. The entire piece starts off life being completely clear. I chose to put those colours where you see them. The satin black is on the outside of the lens so that it appears satin. Anything painted from behind will always be the natural high gloss of the plastic surface. In other words if someone tells me they want the entire piece to be painted translucent candy red with no black details I can do that too. Don't think that would look good but it's doable if asked for.

The red line sections do light up. They were clear and then I painted the back of it with candy red paint which is translucent. They will definitely work with the led panel if it's the same flat panel that is made for our cars. The entire piece starts off life being completely clear. I chose to put those colours where you see them. The satin black is on the outside of the lens so that it appears satin. Anything painted from behind will always be the natural high gloss of the plastic surface. In other words if someone tells me they want the entire piece to be painted translucent candy red with no black details I can do that too. Don't think that would look good but it's doable if asked for.
Thanks for your speedy reply Angelo,

OK, i understand what you are saying here. As you say, if the red line sections light up with the center lenses, i think that look would be a very good look - just fantastic!

With the LED  seq panel lights, you get the center lens optioned up to show either a red light (stop, turn or park) or just the white light for your back up light. In that case, two red lenses for inner/ outer sections would be the go, but the center lens would have to end up looking similar to the original factory center lens - that being a combo of red perimeter, with center clear design. I think i've got that right. :chin:

Lastly, in regards selling your tail lights on to folk - i don't think anyone would be interested in buying them for off road use only. If it's a case of buyer responsibility, then any one who bought them off you and installed them for road use around the world, would be at the mercy of their local government rules and regs, (they do vary greatly) and be potentially open to be fined or proscected for an illegal mod to their cars. That's their lookout i guess. :chin:

So looking forward to the straight fit tail lights  as matters progress.

Cheers,

Thanks Greg. I certainly can't recommend anyone use them for street use especially when some areas of the world have a strict eye on any mods. I know the laws

In Ontario are in place to discourage any mods but I can't imagine ever being given trouble for just that. If a person were to be pulled over on another matter and the officer wanted to further your troubles they may be old enough to know what the lights should look like but again I don't imagine they'd go there. Here in Ontario the law has issue with imports and are on them for everything and anything that resembles a mod. Especially since July of '16. For the most part, the grey hairs that drive around in noisy muscle just get a thumbs up from the police. I wear ear plugs when I cruise around in my Cobra which stands out with its green paint and thumbs up is what they send. Good guys ......as long as u are too I suppose.

Thanks Greg. I certainly can't recommend anyone use them for street use especially when some areas of the world have a strict eye on any mods. I know the laws

In Ontario are in place to discourage any mods but I can't imagine ever being given trouble for just that. If a person were to be pulled over on another matter and the officer wanted to further your troubles they may be old enough to know what the lights should look like but again I don't imagine they'd go there. Here in Ontario the law has issue with imports and are on them for everything and anything that resembles a mod. Especially since July of '16. For the most part, the grey hairs that drive around in noisy muscle just get a thumbs up from the police. I wear ear plugs when I cruise around in my Cobra which stands out with its green paint and thumbs up is what they send. Good guys ......as long as u are too I suppose.
All very true Sir, very true. It's the same thing here in Australia basically.

One funny story was when I had my 69 firebird convertible and a young officer pulled up next to my at a traffic light. He honked his horn and I looked over. He then motions with a gesture to say "where is your shoulder strap of your seat belt"? I tried not to laugh when I pointed to my lap and had to tell him that in 1969, convertibles didn't have a shoulderbelts. Light turned green and he drove off.

Basic safety like e-brakes, horn lights etc they are sure about but to purposely check for a certification on a tail light lens that is sitting in the right location and works properly..... on very unhappy officer

I've been following with interest, also. To me because they do not have reflectors, as required by the DOT, is the biggest reason they wouldn't be acceptable. Of course the light source(s) must also meet DOT requirements, for both color and luminance levels and distribution.

I agree with anything that makes enjoying ones car a safer experience. Not just for you but the people around you that don't need the inconvenience of someone's unsafe modifications. I get that. However, In my opinion, tired old stock lenses, like I took off my car, with dim old-school bulbs have a far better chance at NOT meeting today's standards than the lenses shown here. Especially if one switches to the new LED panel. Brighter crisper lighting for sure. Excellent turn signal indicators and braking brightness. As long as reverse lighting remains white while everything else is the proper red, there would be no reason to attract the attention of the law. It literally is an improvement over stock. I have seen the odd person blacking out or smoking out the lens on some tuner cars or even going completely clear. Just asking for trouble in those situations. I don't care to promote the sale of any lights because I have enough projects on the go and I'd be better off financially spending my time just working on my usual clients orders. It's strictly a pleasurable way to have fun with my fellow car lovers. I'm simply stating that although it's easier not to have grey areas when it comes to the law, at times, the law should really show some consistency and work on the unsafe offenders before it wastes any time harassing people with improvements to their cars. Here's another example: Bias ply OR radial tires. Which is safer? Or Driving in a car and not wearing a seat belt OR riding on a sport bike that doesn't have a seat belt OR school bus with no seat belts for our precious children. What passes and what doesn't...... CONSISTENCY !!! JUST SAYING.

Sorry if that's too much of a rant.

I agree with anything that makes enjoying ones car a safer experience. Not just for you but the people around you that don't need the inconvenience of someone's unsafe modifications.  I get that.  However, In my opinion, tired old stock lenses, like I took off my car, with dim old-school bulbs have a far better chance at NOT meeting today's standards than the lenses shown here. Especially if one switches to the new LED panel. Brighter crisper lighting for sure. Excellent turn signal indicators and braking brightness. As long as reverse lighting remains white while everything else is the proper red, there would be no reason to attract the attention of the law. It literally is an improvement over stock. I have seen the odd person blacking out or smoking out the lens on some tuner cars or even going completely clear. Just asking for trouble in those situations. I don't care to promote the sale of any lights because I have enough projects on the go and I'd be better off financially spending my time just working on my usual clients orders. It's strictly a pleasurable way to have fun with my fellow car lovers. I'm simply stating that although it's easier not to have grey areas when it comes to the law, at times, the law should really show some consistency and work on the unsafe offenders before it wastes any time harassing people with improvements to their cars. Here's another example: Bias ply OR radial tires. Which is safer? Or Driving in a car and not wearing a seat belt OR riding on a sport bike that doesn't have a seat belt OR school bus with no seat belts for our precious children. What passes and what doesn't...... CONSISTENCY !!!    JUST SAYING.
::thumb::  on the rant!

Personally, if I have to start taking my Mach to the "offroad" mudbogs to get a set of these tail light lenses, so be it!  ...smooth asphalt is so overrated!

Everyone just please stand quietly in line and check "yes" for the "off-road use" intent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back