WIDE-BODY KIT FROM SCRATCH

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpegbut I am 3.7" longer than the new mustang since my modifications make me 2.5" longer than a stock 1971 Fastback. Stock 71 vs new mustang is only a 1.2" difference. You know what I learned from all this..... if I want to go home today, I need to get back to work!!!

image.jpegWell, 45 hrs later both floors are in.

image.jpegThree of 4 more hours on the passenger side grinding the but joint flat and polishing it smooth and she's ready for paint.

If I knew the new seat tray on the drivers side was going to need so many mods to fit right I would have saved it when I removed the floor. I learned for the passenger side.

My friend Danny is doing a killer job with these floors. No filler needed anywhere along the tunnel. Factory plug welds everywhere else and so on. A pleasure to watch someone with passion working on your car. He's going to also give me a hand reshaping the drip rails to my liking. Once I grind them to where I'd like them I think it will need his welding skills to finish.

image.jpegSeat trays are welded in and the floor is ready for prep/ prime/ paint and sound deadner. I wanted to test fit the seats with the center console since the TMI seat foam has the wider bolsters. She's snug but good. New seat buns have the seat a little taller but they feel amazing. Great job TMI.

Looks amazing buddy! Those seats are really nice! How are they to sit in, are the angle of the back great compared to a seat that are adjustable? :)
They are my stock seats from this car. Just new buns and covers so the angle is just like before but the seat is much more supportive and firm. I won't get the true feel till I'm driving the car but I'm not too worried about it. More than anything I hope I can get my legs in and out of the car easy enough since it sits higher with the new seat buns.

image.jpegSame seats, same center console and shifter for the 5 speed. It was so comfortable to drive. I used to rest my arm on the console and shift with my wrist not the whole arm if you know what I mean. Add power steering and power brakes and you have a very pleasurable long distance driving car.

If I knew the new seat tray on the drivers side was going to need so many mods to fit right I would have saved it when I removed the floor. I learned for the passenger side.
Those after market seat riser are higher than stock ones, is that for this reason that needed so many mods to fit?

I ask you that cause I'm looking for a driver side seat riser, original one if possible.

Those after market seat riser are higher than stock ones, is that for this reason that needed so many mods to fit?

I ask you that cause I'm looking for a driver side seat riser, original one if possible.
Rocker side has the wrong angle for the tray to sit truly straight. The tunnel side was nowhere even close because there was no tapper at all so it had to be cut to shape and re-welded. The front was too tall and the lip that needs to be plug welded to the floor had to be put back in a metal break and rebent to the correct angle to meet the floor. They just make it a square box and nothing about the floor is square. Stock tray just dropped right in. If you can find one I suggest you avoid aftermarket.

image.jpegWent to the first car cruise night of the year yesterday and I parked behind this 71, the "Toronto Auto Show" first place winner. Many sweet classic muscle cars at that show earlier this year and the 71 Mach took first and a $5000 prize. Finally a little recognision for these sexy cars.

image.jpegNo more trim on the drip rails and shaving them down to a 1/4". Once it's finished with body prep and paint I should get the fuller thicker roof line and windshield pillar I was looking for.

Great idea buddy, that will give it a nice and clean look! I have thought about doing the same, I just could'nt figure out how to do it with out taking the strenght out of the drip rails/roof. Are you going to fully weld the drip rails or what? :)

What are the next step from now to make them look like shaved drip rails? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to consult with Danny today but my thoughts were to make slices or notches all along the drip rail and fill it in with the weld then grind it smooth. Kind of like doing a plug weld. Then it would be solid. I don't want to just weld along the edge because it won't be enough surface area for a strong weld.

Sounds like a good way to do it! I can't wait to see the result! :) I think I will do it allmost the same way, I have allways dreamed about that all the trim mouldings were completely gone and the body was totally clean! I hope it's okay that I do that, I don't want to steal any ideas from you my friend :)

Sounds like a good way to do it! I can't wait to see the result! :) I think I will do it allmost the same way, I have allways dreamed about that all the trim mouldings were completely gone and the body was totally clean! I hope it's okay that I do that, I don't want to steal any ideas from you my friend :)
It's absolutely fine buddy. If I didn't want to share my ideas I wouldn't be in this build thread. You are welcome to all of them if they suit your taste.

image.jpegNotch idea wasn't necessary. Danny went with a full weld.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back