Windage tray or not?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omie01

Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
My final build plan has come together. I opted for the comp cams xe262h cam for my build, as I am not ready to build a BEEFY cleveland yet. I am going to build most of the block stock (4v), I plan to run restricted push rods because I'm going with roller rockers, and I am thinking about running a windage tray. Do windage trays help with motors that won't be going over 6000 rpm? I am not planning on running oil restrictors on this block, but would like to have a small amount of control on the oiling system. I'm going to run a standard cap. oil pump (I did blueprint it and checked tolerances). Thanks guys!

My final build plan has come together. I opted for the comp cams xe262h cam for my build, as I am not ready to build a BEEFY cleveland yet. I am going to build most of the block stock (4v), I plan to run restricted push rods because I'm going with roller rockers, and I am thinking about running a windage tray. Do windage trays help with motors that won't be going over 6000 rpm? I am not planning on running oil restrictors on this block, but would like to have a small amount of control on the oiling system. I'm going to run a standard cap. oil pump (I did blueprint it and checked tolerances). Thanks guys!
ok, i would not use comp lifters.

make sure the oil hole in the side of the lifter does not come above the taper inside the lifter bore at full lift.

if you had good oil pressure before, measure the od of your old lifter . . if it is the same or smaller than your new lifter than you are fine . . if your new lifter is saround .001" smaller your oil pressure will be lass than ot was.

thats the same cam i mentioned to you in your previous thread.

no windage tray.

if you have the engine apart there is no reason not to run the cam oil restrictors or oil restrictor bearings.

i would might run better rod nuts at least.

balance the engine

'

Last edited by a moderator:
Afaik, windage trays are meant to prevent the oil from slushing around during hard cornering, braking and acceleration so the oil pick up cannot pick up air.

Are they also supposed to restrict oil flow?

My idea was to keep a little more oil around the middle bearings under load. I do plan to drive a little bit "spirited" with this car. What is wrong with comp lifters? They are a bit small? Oil hole in wrong place? I still have the lifter set from my Lunati cam. If both cams are hydraulic, would it hurt to run the lunati lifters with my comp cam? The lunati lifters are still new/unused.

Oh, and I did get ARP rod bolt/nuts, main stud kit, and head bolts.

My idea was to keep a little more oil around the middle bearings under load. I do plan to drive a little bit "spirited" with this car. What is wrong with comp lifters? They are a bit small? Oil hole in wrong place? I still have the lifter set from my Lunati cam. If both cams are hydraulic, would it hurt to run the lunati lifters with my comp cam? The lunati lifters are still new/unused.

Oh, and I did get ARP rod bolt/nuts, main stud kit, and head bolts.
many are simply total junk, its that simple . . i am a comp dealer and i quit using and selling their pos lifters.

you do not need a windage tray in any way shape or form unless you are doing road racing or drag racing etc, but installing one will NOT hurt in any way.

if you plan on revving it, i would do some oiling system mods.

Can I use my lunati lifters? They are still new in box. I will take my restrictor kit to my builder and have them install them I guess!! Just to be safe!

Afaik, windage trays are meant to prevent the oil from slushing around during hard cornering, braking and acceleration so the oil pick up cannot pick up air.

Windage trays are designed to control the windage created by the spinning crankshaft. Correctly installed at about .050" from the closest points of the crank/rod assembly they effectively collect and direct the oil back to the pan. This frees up some hp and lessens oil ariation to some degree.

Are the Comp lifters really that bad? I thought they were good quality parts.. I was thinking about buying a complete roller cam and lifter kit for my 393w stroker project, but would that not work with the lifters?
f yeah some of their models like the non link bar hydraulic and solid ones are, they are total, total c__p, junk, pos . . buy at your own risk . . cams are fine. crane lifters are xlnt.

Can I use my lunati lifters? They are still new in box. I will take my restrictor kit to my builder and have them install them I guess!! Just to be safe!
yes lunatis are better.

if you are worried about too much restriction, you can simply buy a number drill for $1.50 that is the next size up from the restrictor hole and drill them out . . the hole will still be smaller than the orig so it will still restrict.

you need two kits because the kits are 1 small plug short.

do NOT use any of the big plugs . . you will be unhappy.

the plug in the front journal must be installed right under the besaring or you will be very unhappy because if they just install it in the entrance of the passage it will block oil to the mains, lol.

make sure the front bearing is not installed so deep that it exposes any of the big oil hole in the journal or you will have very low oil pressure.

i would grind the mains to .025 - .027 for moderate performance use.

grind a slightly big radius [filet]on the journals.

install better rod nuts.

use clevite h bearings . . use the half grooved ones if you want . . the grove goes in the block.

install a high pressure oi pump spring if you rev over around 6k.

this will spin to around 6200 all day long with no prob . . use arp rod bolts if you rev it much more.

I did get the ARP rod bolt/nut kits and am having them installed!
lol, ok, xlnt, with the oil mod etc, you can simply pour the coals to that pig then and spin 500 hp to 6500 if you want with no problem.

if you were going to run above 4 most of the time, i would do the lifter bore mod but keep in mind to measure the lifter ods.

Thanks a lot, I allways thought that they were good.. Do you know anything about the roller lifters from Edelbrock, would they be better or worse?
i do not other than the fact that eddy does not make them and i doubt they buy them from comp.

ford racing does nit make their own lifters either, lol.

the crane oem style are xlnt.

if you haven't bought your pistons yet, i would use low silicone ones like mahles or je srps . . they are often referred to as 4032 aluminum . . you can run them tighter than the others like probe which means, less clatter in start up, better sealing/compression and longer life etc.

you haven't bought your pistons yet, i would use low silicone ones like mahles or je srps . . they are often referred to as 4032 aluminum . . you can run them tighter than the others like probe which means, less clatter in start up, better sealing/compression and longer life etc.

if you haven't bought your pistons yet, i would use low silicone ones like mahles or je srps . . they are often referred to as 4032 aluminum . . you can run them tighter than the others like probe which means, less clatter in start up, better sealing/compression and longer life etc.

Windage trays are designed to control the windage created by the spinning crankshaft. Correctly installed at about .050" from the closest points of the crank/rod assembly they effectively collect and direct the oil back to the pan. This frees up some hp and lessens oil ariation to some degree.
Thanks!

The way windage trays were explained to me was pretty simple. Its like trying to run in water that's waist deep...... hard to do. Then try to run in water thanks ankle deep..... a lot easier. Same with a crank rotating in the oil pan. That's definitely over simplifying it, but you get the idea. I installed one on my 408C.

Back