Windshield removal... Any good how-to advice?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was not too confident in it coming out in usable condition anyway.

The other thing about the harbor freight tool is that it seems like it is built for windshields that have a shallower channel. I took the pull cable off the tool and flipped it around to give more clearance so that the cutting blade could go deeper after I cracked the windshield. The pull handle bolt is so close to the blade that it was rubbing on the paint.

Next time I will try the guitar string method, but I think this would have worked if my glass had not been pushed so far into the mastic.

image.jpeg

That sucks sorry you lost the windshield. Never had that issue. Just have to keep all metal away from the glass. That is why I said don't use screw drive or metal objects to pry on the glass like in the video.

It is great you don't have rust on top of the cowl. The last parts car I purchased was just to get the windshield for date code and some of the other options it had.

The sealer melts over time and gets on the A post trim and on Verts the stainless. Lots of cleaning for sure.

Ok.

Good news!

The cowl is in excellent condition.

Bad news.  The windshield is folded in half.  I cracked it when inserting the tool under the mastic.

I think the last windshield install job was a hack job, there was mastic on the trim inside the car, and the top of the glass was pushed so far into the mastic that there was not enough room for the knife between the glass and the frame.  I had trouble turning the knife under the glass and when I tried harder I killed the glass.
Same thing happened to me.  I purchased a nice professional quality tool from amazon and carefully worked my way around the sides and top,  the rope cut hard.  Just when I thought I was finished the windshield cracked as I was trying to wiggle the blade back to the side to remove it.  If I had a do over I would try the cable/wire.  I tried my best to keep the blade from contacting the glass (trying to angle the blade towards frame the whole time)  but it seems the glue was so firm and cut so hard that no matter how hard I tried I kept hearing the little scrunching noise of the glass as I was moving along...at least it wasn't a carlite...

You for sure have to go easy when using the metal L shaped tool to cut the mastic. It will not work along the bottom the glue is too far up to reach it. That is where I go inside and use a long kitchen knife to cut it loose just pushing it in and pulling out. I spray WD-40 on both the frame and the tools I am using.

You cannot pry on the glass at all with something metal no matter how big or small. The plastic trim removal tools work for prying on the glass some. Glass, especially tempered glass, will not take a chip on the edge.

You can also use a razor knife from the inside to cut the mastic. Any of the ways work best if it is cold so the mastic will not heal back together.

Sorry to hear that you could not save your windshield.

I wanted to reuse the original Carlite windshield in my vert.  The bottom of the windshield is hard to reach when you are removing it by yourself. I used thin braided wire and made loops on both ends and looped one end securely around the driver's side wiper arm post to anchor the one end of the wire and then I pulled the other end thru the seal at the passenger side and worked the wire across the bottom of the windshield back to the driver's side. I had a problem with the black 3M rope seal re-sticking itself together again after cutting thru it. So I kept slipping thin pieces of cardboard and old credit card like plastic pieces between the glass and the windshield frame as I cut around to prevent it from sticking back together again.  The glass lifted out easily without any pulling or prying.

On verts the top edge is easy with the roof down. I suspect it's not as easy on hardtops, but if you are doing it alone using the wiper arm post should work on the top edge as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sealer melts over time and gets on the A post trim and on Verts the stainless. Lots of cleaning for sure.
It took me 5 days to remove the black goo from both A-post trim and top trim using laquer thinners and around 15 rolls of kitchen towels. It was over half a inch thick in places. I am dreading taking the windshield out although there are a lot of scratches in the glass so if they are too deep it wont matter how many pieces it comes out in.

it seems like once you get the windshield out, you could use a heat gun to make that goo more flexible so it would be easier to remove. Just my thoughts, never tried it, might not work at all. lol

it seems like once you get the windshield out, you could use a heat gun to make that goo more flexible so it would be easier to remove.  Just my thoughts, never tried it, might not work at all. lol
You read my thoughts. I was wondering if the heat gun would crack the glass. I am tempted to soften the goo with a heat gun for a easier removal

Hey a little gasoline and a match will get all the goo and the paint off, lol.

I do not remember taking that long on my car. I did scrape a lot off before going to lacquer thinner and stiff brush.

The adhesive gets on all models. When I did my Mach 1 the covers were clued in place also.

All the tips here are good ones..

I did glass work for years.. so I'll add one more..

Below is the homemade tool many of us use to cut out glass parts and be able to save them.

Just a piece of 1/2" conduit cut down to a couple feet long. Then a loose utility knife blade fitted to the flattened end.

That flat profile let's you cut from the inside without damaging any trim. .. the long handle gives good leverage and a good purchase on the tool. Using soapy water in a spray bottle to live the sealant and keep the butyl from sticking together.

The plus is you can push out and cut the bottom of the window seal area.

I've done hundreds of windshield cut outs with this tool..and you can make one in a few minutes for near no $$

I need to pull the windshield, the glass is good and I would like to save it as possible.

Anybody have a good tutorial?
Sorry you broke it. I found that if you follow the below steps it will help increase your odds of getting it out in one piece.   Remove out side trim and try to get a much adhesive away from the side of the windshield being careful not to nick the glass.  Remove the inside trim and using a slim flat windshield removal tool or putty knife or similar thin piece of steel start working it between the windshield and frame.  Take your time and work around the  entire window.  You will stand a better chance of not cracking the glass if you stay away from the edges.   Wet a paper towel or rag in Mineral Spirits and let it lay on the adhesive for about 5 minutes and then use a putty knife to scrap away. Repeat the process until all is removed. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back