• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB 1971 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
2000 F250-SD
2001 H-D FLTR
2004 GMC Denali
I joined this site a couple of years back when I had started looking for a 71' Mach 1. Not finding what I was looking for at that time, and distracted by other things around the home, my interest was temporarily shifted.

I'm looking for a 1971, possibly 1972 Mach 1. I'm not looking for a concourse level car, but rather a very clean Mach 1 that could be entered in local shows, and driven occasionaly.

I would really prefer to have an original four speed car. Based on my research, and please correct me if I'm mistaken, the four speed was only available on the 351 4v and 429 motors. Not having deep enough pockets to purchase a restored 429 car, I'm setting my sights on a 351 4v, four speed model.

I am some what open to body color, but black interior is a must for me. Just a preference. I also need to find a car that doesn't have any rust issues. I'm aware this model does have some known areas of rust problems.

I'm searching daily on craigslist, oldride.com, carsonline.com.

With that said, I would appreciate hearing from any and all who could steer me in the direction of the car I am looking for. I'm located in northern California, but interested in a car anywhere in the U.S.

Welcome Clinton! You are in a good area of the country for finding the rust free car you describe. Most of the ones on the eastern side of the US will have rust or had rust repairs.

The 351-4V, 4-speed cars are out there. Be patient and be ready to buy once one turns up. Good luck with it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome!

Just like my ole dad used to say, "Don't go bear hunting without a gun!".

Or in our situation - Don't go to buy a car with no (or not enough) money.

Craigslist - national search is the best way to fins the car you are looking for.

Ebay is just OK if you happen to get the car you want for a decent price.

Craigslist is a little more of a calm purchase without the pressure of the auction.

But of course, if it is a good deal even on CL - there will be others with the $$$ to buy it before you.

Best of luck!

Ray

You are correct

351 4 v only and all 429's could be ordered with a 4 speed

There are a couple of exceptions out there with 4 speeds

A 71 H code that was a Boss prototype and a 71 302 2 v coupe

Good luck in your search

Welcome Clinton! You are in a good area of the country for finding the rust free car you describe. Most of the ones on the eastern side of the US will have rust or had rust repairs.

The 351-4V, 4-speed cars are out there. Be patient and be ready to buy once one turns up. Good luck with it!
Don65Stang,

thanks for your reply. I'm patient and looking.

Welcome!

Just like my ole dad used to say, "Don't go bear hunting without a gun!".

Or in our situation - Don't go to buy a car with no (or not enough) money.

Craigslist - national search is the best way to fins the car you are looking for.

Ebay is just OK if you happen to get the car you want for a decent price.

Craigslist is a little more of a calm purchase without the pressure of the auction.

But of course, if it is a good deal even on CL - there will be others with the $$$ to buy it before you.

Best of luck!

Ray
Boss1Ray,

thank you for those pearls of wisdom. LOL. Could you tell me how to do a CL national search? On google, in the search box, i've been typing "1971 Mach 1 for sale craigslist"

I've tried the List Alert for CL, but that's such a pain as you have to re-enter for every city/area you want to search.

You are correct

351 4 v only and all 429's could be ordered with a 4 speed

There are a couple of exceptions out there with 4 speeds

A 71 H code that was a Boss prototype and a 71 302 2 v coupe

Good luck in your search
OMS,

thanks for confirming the four speed availability. Could you tell, was the Hurst linkage only available on the 1971 Mach 1??? So far, the photos I have seen picturing the Hurs T handle shifter have been on 1971 Mach 1 models. The 1972 four speeds I have seen have what appears to be a spherical white shifting knob.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-1973-Mustang-Mach-1-351Cleveland-4speed-RESTORED-NO-RUST-/110896382824?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19d1f08368 nice lookin 73 4 speed 4v...but i dont spot any decent priced 71 or 72's on there right now...what is your price celing?
Hyena429

I'm hoping to keep my price range around 20K. That's a comfortable area for me. However, if the perfect car showed itself I may increase my price range.

Last edited by a moderator:
I joined this site a couple of years back when I had started looking for a 71' Mach 1. Not finding what I was looking for at that time, and distracted by other things around the home, my interest was temporarily shifted.

I'm looking for a 1971, possibly 1972 Mach 1. I'm not looking for a concourse level car, but rather a very clean Mach 1 that could be entered in local shows, and driven occasionaly.

I would really prefer to have an original four speed car. Based on my research, and please correct me if I'm mistaken, the four speed was only available on the 351 4v and 429 motors. Not having deep enough pockets to purchase a restored 429 car, I'm setting my sights on a 351 4v, four speed model.

I am some what open to body color, but black interior is a must for me. Just a preference. I also need to find a car that doesn't have any rust issues. I'm aware this model does have some known areas of rust problems.

With that said, I would appreciate hearing from any and all who could steer me in the direction of the car I am looking for. I'm located in northern California, but interested in a car anywhere in the U.S.
I might have what your looking for, sort of like christmas in june!:)

I sent you a PM but I will try again here. Let me know what your specific wants are, might have what your looking for!

I sent you a PM but I will try again here. Let me know what your specific wants are, might have what your looking for!
Anyone interested in 1971 Mach 1, 4 SPEED, disc brake, power steering, staggered shocks, big sway bars, and a very high performance 351 cleveland can call 661 670 9195 ;)

Anyone interested in 1971 Mach 1, 4 SPEED, disc brake, power steering, staggered shocks, big sway bars, and a very high performance 351 cleveland can call 661 670 9195 ;)
Now that's a big hint if I've ever saw one!

Now that's a big hint if I've ever saw one!
Well I dont bite actually I am very accomodating so since I dont type too good I want to get 15k for it (give or take) depending on what I do to the car. If this interests those that are squeemish to pick up the phone- dont be scared I prefer phone calls!;)

Has anyone ever heard of Mr clinton again? He came he went I wonder if he ever found the car he was looking for. If your out there could you please up date your status:-/

Has anyone ever heard of Mr clinton again? He came he went I wonder if he ever found the car he was looking for. If your out there could you please up date your status:-/

I found him a good frame cheap in Oxford, NC where I got mine.
What kinda frame- a picture frame?;) I suppose you found him a unibody since they dont have frames, thanks for letting us know ,I dont think he wanted to share.:(

Back