• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

(WTB) 1973 Trunk Torsion Rods Sportsroof

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theflip44

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 - Wimbledon White
Looking to buy a set of trunk torsion rods for my 73 sportsroof. PM me a price. Shipping to 32548. Thanks!

Do you have a spoiler or no-spoiler on the decklid? Should have a set at the garage. Am out of town until Thursday night, but can pull a set when I get back.

Looking to buy a set of trunk torsion rods for my 73 sportsroof. PM me a price. Shipping to 32548. Thanks!

Do you have a spoiler or no-spoiler on the decklid? Should have a set at the garage. Am out of town until Thursday night, but can pull a set when I get back.

How do you tell the difference between the rods?

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the diameter was a hair thicker, but will check when I get back in town.

I will have to measure mine it came with spoiler and I have several others that do not have spoiler. I thought the 3 positions set the tension but I have seen several with prop rods to hold trunk open with spoiler. Not like Ford to have two of something if there is a way out.

David
I didn't think there was a difference. I've had cars with factory spoilers and cars without. Same same. I've noticed coupes and convertibles with only one rod and the deck lid is bigger on those cars. Two rods set at the right tension position should do it. I agree with David.

I will have to measure mine it came with spoiler and I have several others that do not have spoiler. I thought the 3 positions set the tension but I have seen several with prop rods to hold trunk open with spoiler. Not like Ford to have two of something if there is a way out.

David
David, I've checked my info and here is how they left the factory. 71-3 body style 63 (sportsroof) had left and right part numbers for spoiler and different numbers for non spoiler. Body style 65 (coupe) and 76 (vert) shows two rods of the same part # for left and right.

Now comes the special request. Since you are the original owner of a spoiler equipped Mach 1, is there any way you could measure the diameter of the torsion bar versus the non spoiler bar on one of your fleet? Also if there are any paint,special markings, or ID numbers as the catalog does not give anything other than application and part numbers. I know you have a lot going on so there is no rush. Would just like to enter into my notes that I keep. :)

David
I didn't think there was a difference. I've had cars with factory spoilers and cars without. Same same. I've noticed coupes and convertibles with only one rod and the deck lid is bigger on those cars. Two rods set at the right tension position should do it. I agree with David.
There is a standard and a spoiler version

Diameter was slightly larger on spoiler cars

Checked the torsion rods on my Boss 351 and an original 429 Fastback (non Mach 1) and found that the plain Fastback had 3/16" diameter bar and the Boss 351 had 7/32" diameter. There is no way you could ever see the difference, and in fact I had to measure multiple times. I don't think that 1/32" is going to make a difference to be honest.

I thought the diameter was a hair thicker, but will check when I get back in town.

Back