yoke wont go far enough in

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fonzogt25

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1 w/ 1971 351c
i rebuilt a 85 T5. i followed a video guide on how to rebuild it to the letter. now i have it all installed in the car but the yoke on my driveshaft (i had it custom built, its the correct yoke) wont go far enough into the transmission to install the rear end in. it goes into the trans about 2.5 inches and about 1.7 inches sticks out past the dust cover. i just went up to the driveline shop and they said the driveshaft is the correct length from the dimensions i gave and the yoke fit on one of their output shafts they had laying around.

the only thing i can think of is, i installed a new sleeve on the tailhousing and maybe that is binding it up?

im at a loss and hoping my trans is ok and its just a dumb easy fix. hopefully someone can help me!

I would start by checking your measurements.

How much too long is it?

Did you make sure the yoke fit into the new bushing?

Use something as a probe to check the depth of the output shaft. The one they used may be different.

These are just general suggestions, someone with T5 specific experience may be able to help you more.

Last edited by a moderator:
could be,, also carefully inspect the splines on the output shaft, a slight imperfection can prevent the yoke from going on and sliding in.

if you find a small mare then use a set of jeweler files to get the tooth shape back.

well the driveline place said that the yoke should be able to go all the way into the t5 without and issue. but as it stands currently, i need it to go about 2 inches in. ( i was wrong in my earlier post, it sticks out 2.5 inches roughly)

i havnt looked at the teeth of the output shaft, i will do that now. heres to hoping its something that simple!

i didnt have a yoke on the transmission, its a new yoke. i also didnt have a driveshaft. the only thing i had was a yoke on the rearend

i dont really see any burrs or anything that could be stopping it from going it.

is it possible that the output shaft is bent? this means i think itd have to be bent where the splines are. is this a possibility?

i see theres some scratches on the yoke, but they arnt very deep and i cant feel them really, but maybe there is a burr and im missing it.

these are just two ideas i had. any input would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
just to finish this thread, the problem was solved. the problem was the tailhousing bushing that was used was .001 inches too thick. i took the tailhousing off and asnding it down with some very light sandpaper and then put some ATF on a rag and cleaned it as best i could. the yoke slipped on nice and easy after that. hope this helps someone in the future

Back