Z Bar Help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccijwright

Reaction score
My Car
1996 Cobra Convert
1973 Mach 1
Good Morning,

I am having issues with my 1973 Mach 1 4 speed clutch pedal not returning and I think the PO altered my z bar when he installed headers. Thinking about re-doing the bushings and such in the z bar. My bar almost looks like it is installed at a slight angle from car body to engine (to angle around bent header). I think it should be straight across?? Can someone when they have some time post some pics of a proper z bar set up? I have the Ford diagram, but I do much better with actual pics. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Did you use a diaphragm style pressure plate clutch? I've seen that cause clutch pedal return issues.

You may want to check your engine mounts if the z-bar looks misaligned.

New here, but had an issue with non-returning clutch pedal on my '71 when I forst got it. Push pedal to the floor, it would stay there, and needed a tug to get it back to the engaged position. My car was pretty abused when I got it so it was just another "huh" to deal with.

Found the clutch was out of adjustment and the return spring on the outside was wrong length or missing(can't remember), but also found that the clutch pedal has some sort of helper or over-center spring on it, which would fight the clutch assemblies internal springs, keeping the pedal on the floor. I needed to remove the pedal assembly and the z-bar/block and chassis mounts to have stuff welded up, and found this sping mechanism.

I dealt with the adjustment and outside return spring as well and fixing all of the loose bits and the helper spring under the dash was no longer an issue.

Best,

Tom

I just finished refreshing all of my clutch linkage and bushings. I must say, it was time well spent. I even welded and redrilled the pivot holes in the z-bar back to original specs. The biggest headache and likely most important part of the process is installing the proper locating bushing and clip on the outer side of the z-bar. It took me about twenty minutes alone fiddling with the z-bar and clip to get it installed properly. Without that clip the linkage is moved out of its proper orientation causing excess wear and pressure to actuate the clutch. With the clip installed and everything lined up, the linear actuation of the clutch pushrods make the pedal pressure light, and very easy to modulate.

Back