71 vert in south FL

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrshog

Reaction score
My Car
Looking
Hello all,

I just joined the board but have been a lurker for a while. I just decided to pull the trigger on an old stang. I am looking at a '71 for sale at South beach Classics in FL. I live in MN and was just wondering if anyone might be able to swing by the place and take a look at the car and let me know what you think.

Appreciate any assistance.

Thanks.

Welcome from Arkansas
Thanks. Its been a lot of years looking for one of these Mustangs and I have finally made the decision to pull the trigger. I hope it turns out ok for me. You never really know what your getting until it's in your garage for a while.

Welcome from Arkansas
Thanks. Its been a lot of years looking for one of these Mustangs and I have finally made the decision to pull the trigger. I hope it turns out ok for me. You never really know what your getting until it's in your garage for a while.
Welcome,

Can you not find something closer to home? FL is a long trip and it is stupid hot down there right now. I lived in Miami for a few years.

One quick look on the web turned this up:

http://www.uniquemankato.com/detail.aspx?id=3009333&PrefID=12872&referrer=Craigslist&autopostid=9490877&.aspx

Price is a bit high but it looks like a nice solid daily driver. I do not know this dealer or his reputation - it is very important to check out a dealers reputation - even more important than the car you may be buying.

A slime ball dealer rarely ever sells a decent car at a fair price.

I do however feel that there are many more good and decent dealers out there than there are slime balls. Easy enough to check out.

Best of luck!

Paul of MO.

There are some closer to home but this seems to be the right car. It's the right colors, big block, etc. I will have to do very little to the car. Rear spoiler and the hockey stick striping to make it what I am looking for. I am waiting on some additional info from the dealer he sent me a video of it today and has been responsive. I think I am paying a bit much for the car but as long as its what i want I am happy. I'm not going down there I will have it shipped. Thanks for the advice on the dealers rep though I will do a little more research on it.

Welcome from Rhode Island.

I would look and check locally to you, this way you can get in the car and check it out, the cars that South beach sells look shady sometime, he is a car Flipper.

you can check on Creigslist and Autotrader.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the welcomes!! I fell for the big stangs at age 13. Always in the back of my mind knew I would get around to finally getting one. Been a Ford guy all my life thanks to my father. Looks like I am getting pretty close to finally owning a red and black like the one that started this obsession.

Hopefully I will not be disappointed in this one if I do choose to pull the trigger. If anyone is looking to kill a couple minutes today check out the '71 at the South Beach Classics web site. That is the one I have my eye on. Maybe one of you will see things I am not seeing that would raise a red flag. I have a number of additional pics they sent me so if I should be looking for anything specific please let me know.

Thanks again everyone.

is this the car?

http://www.tedvernon.com/Ford/1971-Ford-Mustang-Convertible-NB9098321.asp

as for the Price its is on the High side of the scale.

from the pictures I see, the Chrome on the hood lip and front fenders should be painted red, unless you have the chrome bumper, then they are chrome, the rear bumper guards look like its from a 73' the 71-72 had the high mount bumper guards.

Yes sir, that's the car. Thanks for the insights. I knew someone would be able to see things I am ignorant to. I have a bunch of other pics of the car any problem areas/issues that I should be looking for or asking for photo's of?

I am looking for a fun summer driver. It will not ever be a show car. They are getting me the casting numbers from the heads and block now. If it does in fact make 500+ hp I am a little more willing to pay a bit of a premium, within reason of course.

500+HP in a Vert!!! those sub frames are flimsy, you will need sub frame connectors and reinforce the car, it will Flex on you.

you want all of the under carriage (torque boxes), the bottom of the doors, the bottom of the Cowling from under the dash these cars love to Rot in these places no mater what state they come from, they are water traps.

and as for a convertible, you want to make sure the Hydraulics are working, and no leaky rams, or hoses. and that the top latches properly and seals around the windows, if you are paying over $20k you want a mint condition car.

around me in the new England area 71-73 verts go for about 7k-15K

I had a car shipped from Minnesota to NC. Be sure to ask a lot of questions and get a lot of photos. Mine turned out to be a very honest fellow and a solid car.

Hello! ::welcome:: to the site. I live in the mid southwest area of Florida about a 13 hour round trip for me. I do have a friend down in the Palm Beach area. I will check to see if they would be game to check the car out if your still considering this one. Seems super high $$. It would have to be "Mint" condition for the buck.

Thanks all. I have one of the guys I am working at the dealership taking a very close up look at the car and taking pics of everything that he sees as a defect. I know that I am not going to get a perfect car and I agree that $20k + is a bit high but at this point in the negotiation I am feeling ok with the price range we are at which includes shipping to my driveway.

Thanks for the info on the subframe. I will make sure to keep that in mind as one of my upgrades.

Can I get photos from under the dash that would show rust issue with the cowling? If so where do I ask them to take them from?

I will get pics of the top hydraulics. I may have to live with a poor seal on the top if that is indeed the case. I assume you have to ride in it to know.

Yes kat29rn if you know someone that can take a look at it for me that would be great.

Thanks again everyone for the warm reception to the forum.

Bill

Back