71 vert in south FL

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you ask them for clear Pictures of the bottom of the Cowling its the area under the dash where the fresh air vents come in the car, they all rust in that area, on almost every mustang I have seen.

if your looking to pay in the $20k range, check the car inside and out with a fine tooth comb.

Welcome to the forum!

You didn't mention if you knew that the 429 Thunderjet in the Mustang is not original. It likely came from a T-bird. I like the 429 in the Mustang as long as you are aware of it for the price you are paying.

I would ask about the passenger side front of the car. The tire/wheel doesn't seem to be centered in the wheels well and the wheels appear to be straight ahead. Could be signs of a front end crash that has bent something up front that might be costly to re-align. Maybe it's just an optical illusion but worth checking out. I searched for a similar Mustang front end shot and came up with this one of a 1973 vert. Notice how the tire is centered in the front compared to the 71 you are looking at.

2rqj1wp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the site. I have watched most of the South Beach Classics shows on the Discovery Channel and based on the shows he apparently has repeat customers which may say something for his credibility. It is hard to buy a car sight unseen, but good luck. Hopefully you will get some good info from the pictures you are expecting.

The car is an "F" code 302 2V originally. I've done a fare amount math on "my car" trying to understand the total cost to buy the one I want or to have to build the one I want. Seems like the price always ends up being in the $20k range. For me to duplicate this drive train in a different car 9" posi rear, C6, Big hp numbers etc is not cheap so I place a high value on those items. It also has to be a vert, red and black, front and rear spoilers, ram air hood and the hockey stripes. So I do have some work to do to make her mine when it gets here. I already have a cart sitting full at Ohio Mustang Supply.

I have even more pics coming today and hopefully that passenger front wheel being off center, I noticed that too, is an optical illusion. I did not see it in any of the other pics or the video I already have. The 429 is prob 150 - 200 lbs heavier than the 302 so I may need to upgrade the springs in the front prob all the way around actually. One pic shows what looks like air shocks in the back. Got to get rid of those.

Thanks again everyone for your input.

as Mike said above, "South Beach Classics" does have repeat customers, and if you really watch the show close, no one pays Vern's asking price. keep that in mind when making the deal.

the nice part about dealing with Ohio Mustangs, if you have any questions about a part s quality Don will let you know about how it fits and looks.

also when you get the car, if it is 500+hp just remember to stiffen up the sub-frame, because it is a Convertible, you loose the roof for structure.

post up the other pictures they sent you, I would like to see the interior.

I may be wrong but as far as I know, verts never came with urethane bumpers.

If I'm wrong and they did then they woulda had painted hood molding and fender extensions.

This here looks completely wrong.

Another thing I found us that the ad says:" ram air hood" but I'm missing the word "functional". Make sure it is functional.

I must say though that I've been checking the ad on my phone and I don't think the site actually worked on it as it should, so I might have missed something.

Just be careful. You're excited at the prospect of owning it. That's a dangerous situation. It may make you ignore flaws on purpose.

For that price there are many details that look wrong. That urethane bumper with the chrome moldings would bug the hell outta me.

Paint the chrome and replace the grille with a Mach1 one and it's perfect. But this... Nah.

imusa76,

Can you recommend a place to look for sub frame connectors? I will have to play with the pic uploader....... maybe it worked.

I see what appears to be over spray on the hood spring driver side so I do wonder a bit about the paint job that was done. But more pics to come from them today. Not sure what to make of the undercarriage pics but some undercoating should take care of anything that has started to rust.

Not sure if the pics posted. I can not see them although tinypic said success....

Ram air is not functional. It's the hood that I want more than anything. I think I can get the functional from OMS. You nailed it.... for years I have been casually looking and I do have a lot of emotion surrounding this purchase and with that the blinders to flaws and issues. I am looking for a car I can drive. It does not have to be factory correct. I like the look of the urethane bumper but agree that the chrome has to go up front. As for the grille... not sure what if anything I'll do to that I don't have a preference either way at this time but the Mach does look nice too.

if the floors have any rust, "DON"T UNDERCOAT IT" fix the rust then undercoat it, the undercoating holds moister and will rot out on you quickly.

someone else will have to chime in with the Sub frame Connectors, or do a search on the site for them, my car is all Stock so I don't have them, all I did was upgrade the inner rockers with a heavier guage metal.

No pictures got posted, Dont use the Tinypics, use the image uploader to load pics on to the site.

Sub frame connectors will be connected from the front frame rail extensions to the back frame rails.

The car will need a lot of panel alignment to look right and get that plastic bumper of of it

wrshog,

Sorry to say, but my friends are up in NC., for a new grand baby. They are retired, so have no return time frame. I sure hope all works out for you and your dream car. Keep us all posted.

Thanks for the offer though kat. I actually have my first grand baby coming in October. BTW I am a very young'ish poppy. Congrats to them.

It will be just a matter of a day or two now I think before I make the decision. The message I got from them is that the head and block casting numbers are not readable.... hmmmm I'm not sure what I think about that answer... It may lower my offer some. I would hate to find out its a mid 70's 460.... As far as the price goes he's come down about 20% and that includes delivery to my driveway. Not sure where we will end up depends on on the results of a couple more photo's and some measurements. He's measuring the wheel base on both sides of the car and if it is not right he has offered to fix it before he delivers it. I am pretty sure it was the wheel being turned a bit that made it look not centered.

Thanks for the offer though kat. I actually have my first grand baby coming in October. BTW I am a very young'ish poppy. Congrats to them.

It will be just a matter of a day or two now I think before I make the decision. The message I got from them is that the head and block casting numbers are not readable.... hmmmm I'm not sure what I think about that answer... It may lower my offer some. I would hate to find out its a mid 70's 460.... As far as the price goes he's come down about 20% and that includes delivery to my driveway. Not sure where we will end up depends on on the results of a couple more photo's and some measurements. He's measuring the wheel base on both sides of the car and if it is not right he has offered to fix it before he delivers it. I am pretty sure it was the wheel being turned a bit that made it look not centered.

BOSS 429 007.jpg

BOSS 429 008.jpg

BOSS STANG UNDER 001.jpg

BOSS STANG UNDER 002.jpg

BOSS STANG UNDER 004.jpg

BOSS 429 001.jpg

as Mike said above, "South Beach Classics" does have repeat customers, and if you really watch the show close, no one pays Vern's asking price. keep that in mind when making the deal.

the nice part about dealing with Ohio Mustangs, if you have any questions about a part s quality Don will let you know about how it fits and looks.

also when you get the car, if it is 500+hp just remember to stiffen up the sub-frame, because it is a Convertible, you loose the roof for structure.

post up the other pictures they sent you, I would like to see the interior.
Found your tutorial and it looks like I got the photos to post this time. Thanks.

the interior look OK, they added the Gauges to the Dash Center console but didn't upgrade the Dash to include the Tach, and the gauge plastic looks like its yellowing.

the exhaust should run above the Convertible support plate not under it (next to the drive shaft), they clam its a 3" exhaust then means almost no ground clearance (these cars are low to the ground as is).

just things to help you in working out a fair price.

as for not supping Block casting numbers, now that's a whole other topic, worst case someone put a 428 sticker on a 351 air cleaner, who knows at this point with no proof!!.

Bumping this old thread for one reason only: 90% of what Vernon (owner of SoBeC) has on the lot is held together with Bondo (I remember seeing a red ex-Grande on his lot that had such rough Bondo over the vinyl trim holes that you could spot every patched hole from 20 feet away), and is priced if it were all new sheetmetal.

The remaining 10% - the solid cars - are usually priced 20% over going rates. Not to mention over book too.

-Kurt

Latest posts

Back