First time you know you liked mustangs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Blue Glo Mach 1
Hi All

Do you remember the first time you saw a mustang and why you liked it.

For me it was a mate of my cousins he had a black 65 - 66 pro street looking jigger with wheel tubs and very angry stroker Windsor and a 4 speed. I was about 14 we went for a run in it and I thought how cool is this :cool: then he floored it and I couldn't stop smiling,we turned around stopped and he turned the tap on the blue bottle (i thought it was a fire extinguisher at the time) between the seats took about a week to stop grinning like a idiot. Then about 6 months later he showed up with a blower on it not a common thing in the mid 80s in Australia, Awesome

Last edited by a moderator:
to be honest I don't actually know exactly when I started liking them...I guess somewhere around high school when I was old enough to drive. Like most kids I wanted something sporty, and while I ended up w/ a 94 dodge dakota as my first car, my 2nd was an 2000 electric green V6 mustang, and I guess it just went from there

Now that I think about it, back in 1965 when I was about 12 years old my sisters future husband drove a new 65 Mustang that I really liked. Later in high school one of my friends had a 66 and my girlfriend had a 65 I got the bug big time.

I think I was 4 or 5 or even younger than that. I had allot of influence from my older brother. The obsession started when my brother got his first 70 Mach 1 when I was 6 years old. Our parents both worked so my brother had to "watch me". So he would take me with him to his girlfriends house. I would sit in the driver seat and pretend to be blowing off all the comaros in town.:D It's been a life long passion for me and my brother which we still shear today.:cool:

great stories folks!!

I cannot remember when i started...I always was in one...My diper was on board a shelby gt my dad got from the show room floor...I remember loving his oly sprint he had when i was about 5 years old...I still remmeber getting pulled over in it...My dad showing off threw town..lol...Then he got a dark blue mach 1 q code...Too me it was my dream car...He told me he would make a deal on it with me..and it would be my first car...Some guy would not stop tring to buy it from him...The guy come down with tears in his eyes and begged my dad...My dad finaly threw a stupid over the top price...Thinking the guy would never pay that...He busted out the cash for it!! Back in 89 this guy paid over 6,000 for a mach 1 q code with a non original interior nor color....Which was insaine...I was sooooo pissed...I did not talk to my dad for a month!! My dream car was gone...And i was one mad teen...Well by the time i was about out of high school...My dad got this red mach 1..i think cause he felt bad about what happend years before...he would let me drive it...And i was falling for her hard..lol...Finaly a wind storm blew a big camper on it..and dented the hood a little and the fender...and he got the insurance to pay for it and he offered to sell me the rest really cheap....And rest is history. ;)

For me it was about 1966. My father was working the Oklahoma oil field, it was a Saturday and he decided to stop in at the Ford dealer in Cresent, Oklahoma; Frank Lewis Ford, about 30 miles N of Oklahoma City where we lived and I still live today.

I know it was a Saturday because I got to go with my dad to work on that day!

Anyway the 'new' 1966 Mustangs were on the showroom floor! I rmember getting in a white Mustang GT convertible and told my dad it would go 140 MPH! LOL -a common mistake made by many young boys as they look at the speedometer of a vehicle to determine top speed!!!!!! LOL

I also remember a Mustang pedal car sitting up on a stand against the wall! I'm sure I asked my dad to get it for me! He mentioned something about me getting a paper route and then we left. In the same 65 Galaxie we drove in with...

My dad passed a few years ago - sure miss him and all the cool cars and adventures he allowed me to share with him! BTW I learned to drive out there in the OKlahoma oil field - was driving by myself on country roads and oilfield locations at 8 yrs old! Automatics or standards - did not matter.

OK - sorry about the long trip through memory lane - this time of the year always make me remember and appreciate my past!

Ray

For me it was about 1966. My father was working the Oklahoma oil field, it was a Saturday and he decided to stop in at the Ford dealer in Cresent, Oklahoma; Frank Lewis Ford, about 30 miles N of Oklahoma City where we lived and I still live today.

I know it was a Saturday because I got to go with my dad to work on that day!

Anyway the 'new' 1966 Mustangs were on the showroom floor! I rmember getting in a white Mustang GT convertible and told my dad it would go 140 MPH! LOL -a common mistake made by many young boys as they look at the speedometer of a vehicle to determine top speed!!!!!! LOL

I also remember a Mustang pedal car sitting up on a stand against the wall! I'm sure I asked my dad to get it for me! He mentioned something about me getting a paper route and then we left. In the same 65 Galaxie we drove in with...

My dad passed a few years ago - sure miss him and all the cool cars and adventures he allowed me to share with him! BTW I learned to drive out there in the OKlahoma oil field - was driving by myself on country roads and oilfield locations at 8 yrs old! Automatics or standards - did not matter.

OK - sorry about the long trip through memory lane - this time of the year always make me remember and appreciate my past!

Ray
I know the feeling, my mother bought a 72 LTD from Bobby Hopper Ford in Springdale back in 73, it had a 400 with C6 and I got to drive it on the 3 mile dirt road where we lived when I was 8. Dad got wind of me driving it and decided it was not a good idea for me to learn to drive on an automatic so he would take me to work with him on saturdays and let me drive his 69 C10 column shift. I think about it today and wonder what was going through their minds to let an 8 year old behind the wheel, but times were different then...great memories.

As a child around about 9 years of age, i was aware about Mustangs from '65 onwards and liked them, but the bonding really started when i saw and inspected '68/'69/ and '70 models at a local American muscle car speciality used car dealership here in Brisbane called Gus Mc Lure Motors, around the 1972 time period.

I was 17, and had just gotten my liscense, and i remember being really knocked out when i checked out these babies! (but never had the money to afford one back then)

But boy, did i sure want to own one big time.

My love for the '71-'73 models came much later in my life for some strange reason.

Greg.:)

I was definitely in the 5-6 range - I'd received some "Mustang" toys: a couple of Hot Wheels & Matchbox cars, a snap-together '65 model hardtop I supposedly helped build with a guidance counselor in the G&T program in elementary school, and a Tonka Mach 1 'pull-it-back-and-let-it-go' toy (never forgot that one).

When I was a Freshman in high school, my Mom was taking some classes at Utah Technical College (now Salt Lake Community College) and one of her classmates/friends was one of those guys a teenager would look up to... and he had a grabber yellow '71 Mach 1. Of course I fell in love with it after riding in it a few times, and made all sorts of plans on how I was going to somehow acquire it after I got my first job. Then, we went to a class picnic, where WAY too much fun was had with liquid beverages, and I was asked to drive he and the car home (I was 6'2" when I was 14, and of course I knew 'how' to drive already... I'm a car guy in the making, after all). Yeah... "Game Over." I made up my mind that I will indeed have one of my own someday.

Then he wrecked a few months later (just f/r valance, rocker panel, and lower door skin damage after running off a 2-foot deep construction curb/drop-off. A sad day indeed - he traded in the car for something entirely different.

My first car was a used '82 Mustang GL hatchback, which I totally went nuts customizing with cool accessories. It looked like a hot-rodded GT, but still had the wheezy 2.3L I-4. When I couldn't scrape together the money to drop-in a 5.0/T-5 (as an E-4 in the Air Force returning from overseas), I traded it in on my first 4x4 truck.

Never forgot about the '71 though and picked mine up as a basket-case almost 3.5 years ago... and here we are today.

I was about ten or twelve I guess and a friend of the family bought a 71 Mach1 with a 351 in South Australia. I instantly fell in love with that car and always new I would own one some time.

I moved to Atlanta Georgia in 2002 with my family and my wife and I pledged we would bring a Mustang back to Australia when we returned. When the 05 model was released we both new at that point we would return with a late model and we did, actually with one each, a 2007 GT/CS Convertible and a 2007 GT500.

I have now completed my dream and recently purchased a 73 FB Mach1 which is partially rebuilt. Just looking forward to driving it now.

when I was about 16-17 me and a buddy "borrowed" his dads 72 H code sprint fastback while he was out of town and went through almost 20 gallons of fuel in about 3 hours hauling ass down any back roads we could find I remembered all the compliments I got at the gas station while I was filling her up and from then on I knew I wanted one from that point on.

It was the summer of 1967. I was 7 years old. My family took a trip uptown to see the new K-Mart that had been built. My brother and I saw a display of red plastic 1966 Mustang fastbacks in the store. The cars were good size (maybe around 12 inches log or so). Of course, we both had to have one and my parents were not interested in buying them for us. In those days, we didn't make spur of the moment purchases. They said maybe Santa would bring one at Christmas. We weren't interested in one - we each had to have one. A few weeks later my brother and I were uptown with my grandparents. We stopped by K-Mart and the Mustangs were still there. We made our case to Grandma and Grandpa and they agreed - we got the Mustangs. So that's when I knew I liked Mustangs. Over time though, my tastes evolved. At 17 years old, I got my first real Mustang fastback. A 1973 Mach 1, dark green metallic with argent stripes. I've been hooked ever since.

Great thread! The first Mustang I became acquainted with was a brand new '66 that my dad bought in '66 and then had to sell before he went to Vietnam. The next one was a '71 Mach 1 that a buddy of mine on the high school football team had in 1977. The power was awesome but the wheel hop was so bad I couldn't really appreciate the launch. :cool: All the guys said that the reason it had so much power was because it had a Cleveland instead of a Windsor. That's when I fell in love with Clevelands.

In 2011, I was diagnosed with throat cancer and my wife was feeling sorry for me, I guess, when we saw an unrestored '73 convertible during Hot August Nights, and incredibly, she said we should buy it. The rest, including the cancer, is history. :)

When I was in first grade, the mom of a girl in my class had a vintage burgundy 65 coupe with tan painted on the sides from the quarter emblem to the front wheel well in the inset area. It was a very distinctive paint scheme that I remember today, liked then, but would never do to one of my cars. At the time I had a crush on both the car and the girl in my class.

I dont really remember what age i was but i think i was 12 when i really got into mustangs. We had gone to a car show and there were tons of cool cars but this black 70 Mach 1 really caught my eye. Later that day my dad pulled out pictures of his 66 gt K code that he had owned when i was 2. I have held a little bit of anger toward him for selling that car ever since. Then we moved to Cicero In. I was 14 and every day this guy drove by my house in his red and black 73 Mach 1 with keystone classics on it. Thats the car that got me really hooked.

I was around 13 yrs old and used to hang around a local body shop where there was always a lot of hot rods & muscle cars. There was a black 71 Boss 351 that came in occasionally for various issues. I remember sitting in it for hours and dreaming of owning one someday. This same place is also where my love of hot rods began !!! I am still friends with the owner today, who has been a huge influence on me throughout life.

Thanks, Jay

i was 14, back in the 1980s. i was walking with a friend through his new neighborhood. His family had just moved to a new area.

we came upon a 71 Grabber blue mustang mach 1 sitting on the side of the road. it was covered in rust paint coming off, 3 flat tires, the front spoiler was hanging down in the middle like a unhappy smile. my friend said "that is the ugliest car i have even seen". I had to get one. It took me like 20 years :D.

Back