Headers and Exhaust System

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Happy New Year my Fellow Enthusiasts!

Let me start by saying that I did a lot of reading through all the posts here but am still a little bit confused about what really fits rights. I'm looking to replace my entire exhaust system, including the headers. You guys have led me to what I think is the perfect exhaust system - the Pypes system with Street Pro Mufflers.

http://www.lmperformance.com/67190

After all this reading I'm still not sure exactly what information you need to help me with the selection of headers. I have a '72 Convertible with 351C 2V engine. I have a/c and an automatic transmission. I currently have the motor and transmission out of the car so they will be easy to install but I want to make sure I don't have problems when I put the motor back in. The best I can tell the Hedman's appear to be the easiest to install and match up but not sure exactly with ones.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

I have run both Hooker comp and hooker super comp. Both fit on the 351c with a c6 automatic. The super comps hang lower and are a little wider and may not be available for 2v since they are really big.

As far as exhaust goes, I would get the headers I want and then take it to a local shop and have them custom make the exhaust for you. It's not expensive. THere should be lots of shots in your area. Some shops might even let you try a couple of different mufflers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had the Hooker super comp but I had bottom clearance issues with them as mentioned by Will e, I would have to watch for speed bumps and dips in the road.. I now have the Comp headers and they do not hang nearly as low. As for clearance issues in the engine compartment around accessories there were none with either set. I too am installing the Pypes system and plan to take them to a shop to have them installed.

-jbojo

I have had the Hooker super comp but I had bottom clearance issues with them as mentioned by Will e, I would have to watch for speed bumps and dips in the road.. I now have the Comp headers and they do not hang nearly as low. As for clearance issues in the engine compartment around accessories there were none with either set. I too am installing the Pypes system and plan to take them to a shop to have them installed.

-jbojo
Thanks Will e and jbojo! Great insight. I was thinking about just letting a local shop put in the exhaust but was really impressed by the Pypes system (I know they can probably match it, but seems easier just to buy it and not worry).

jbojo, is this the same Pypes set up you are installing? http://www.lmperformance.com/67190

Also, I agree with both of you on the Hooker headers. The Comp headers do look fantastic. I'm thinking the silver ceramic. This is the set I am considering. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-6921-1hkr/overview/

Thoughts? Do these parts look correct for the application?

Many thanks as always...

John

Hey John, thanks for starting a new thread.

You're in luck - I am running the exact system you're asking about: Hooker Comp Headers (ceramic coated), and Pypes Street Pro 2.5" stainless w/X-pipe. I got mine from Summit Racing for $440-ish.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-sfm04s/overview/make/ford

Here's what it all looks like under there:

522794_453452127999044_1520165078_n.jpg

601780_453452154665708_1472395788_n.jpg

545048_456794410998149_1520999431_n.jpg

208932_456794440998146_932075024_n.jpg

252362_457333127610944_28584412_n.jpg

269310_457333177610939_1008943514_n.jpg

319387_474672929210297_930035356_n.jpg

It all went in just fine and the kit was complete (except that the Hookers didn't come with collector pipes, hence the black pipes directly off the headers - which are Hookers and purchased separately). The lead-in pipes to the X-pipe also needed some tweaking, since the headers angle inward a bit, as you can see. Other than that - only took a couple hours to install... headers and everything.

Hope this helps.

I see the pypes system looks really good til you get to the mufflers. Can't use factory hangers with the side exit mufflers. They should be side in middle out.

exhaust.jpg

Hey John, thanks for starting a new thread.

You're in luck - I am running the exact system you're asking about: Hooker Comp Headers (ceramic coated), and Pypes Street Pro 2.5" stainless w/X-pipe. I got mine from Summit Racing for $440-ish.

It all went in just fine and the kit was complete (except that the Hookers didn't come with collector pipes, hence the black pipes directly off the headers - which are Hookers and purchased separately). The lead-in pipes to the X-pipe also needed some tweaking, since the headers angle inward a bit, as you can see. Other than that - only took a couple hours to install... headers and everything.

Hope this helps.
Wow...this set up looks absolutely awesome! Best yet from all the youtube videos, review, etc. these have just an awesome killer sound that our cars need!

I'm curious as to why you didn't get stainless collector pipes? I couldn't readily find them at Summit so I'm going to just call in the morning to make sure I get the right ones.

Also, I'm planning to add these exhaust tips to it to finish the look. What tips did you go with? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mbr-t5106/overview/

Thanks again for the wonderful pictures and details. I'm ready to really celebrate now!

Cheers!

John

I had a set of the Headman headers on a 73 Cougar I use to have. Not at all impressed. Even after using top shelve gaskets, I had to tighten the bolts on them every month or so. I wouldn't recommend them!

I am also running the Hooker Super Comp's and like them. As stated they do hang low. I have banged mine a couple of times but i have a lot of "rake" to my front end (P225's up front and P275's out back). My only regret is not spending the extra bucks and getting the ceramic coated ones. Not only do they stay a little cooler but also look a lot better.

I had a set of the Headman headers on a 73 Cougar I use to have. Not at all impressed. Even after using top shelve gaskets, I had to tighten the bolts on them every month or so. I wouldn't recommend them!

I am also running the Hooker Super Comp's and like them. As stated they do hang low. I have banged mine a couple of times but i have a lot of "rake" to my front end (P225's up front and P275's out back). My only regret is not spending the extra bucks and getting the ceramic coated ones. Not only do they stay a little cooler but also look a lot better.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. It looks like I'm headed (pun intended! :D) in the right direction! This sight changes the way a person restores a car...it's really fantastic as we all learn from each other.

I don't have them yet (gonna wait until the paint's done first), but I'm going with the Pypes 2.5" polished stainless slash cut tips: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-evt49/overview/

The 2.5" tubes fit almost perfectly in the factory cut-out valance without hitting anything.

I tried to find the Hooker collectors in stainless, but all Summit had were the black ones... and since I was putting together a big order, that's what I wound up with. I would've preferred the stainless, but it's all good.

You mentioned killer sound, here's mine during first fire-up:

I'll get some better vid when it's done... but that's pretty much what mine sounds like.

I don't have them yet (gonna wait until the paint's done first), but I'm going with the Pypes 2.5" polished stainless slash cut tips: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-evt49/overview/

The 2.5" tubes fit almost perfectly in the factory cut-out valance without hitting anything.

I tried to find the Hooker collectors in stainless, but all Summit had were the black ones... and since I was putting together a big order, that's what I wound up with. I would've preferred the stainless, but it's all good.
wow...love it! Sounds great, now I'm getting excited. I'm going to search for the stainless collectors to see if I can find them. I also am leaning hard towards the 3.5"s on Greg's car...they just look mean...

This is his car as a reminder!

Greg\'s Exhaust Tips.JPG

John

Okay...I think I found the matching Hooker collectors. I couldn't find stainless but these are ceramic to match the headers. I had to do so many searches on the Summit website to finally find them. Not at all user-friendly.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-110401hkr/overview/

I think these are a match?

Thanks,

John

Yup - that's them. I'll keep the P/N handy in case I need them in the future. For now, I think I'll just stick with the black ones. I found about a half gallon of Bondo in the "new" (junk yard) trunk lid today, so I'll be ordering a new repop trunk lid.

I have some doug shortys with 2.5 inch h-pipe with flowmaster delta flow 40s. Sounds great to me, pretty loud for a 302 i think. But i had a shop custom install it, and it went from the headers to the h-pipe(under the front seats), and just straight to the back, piping going over the axle and out the sides (i have them dumped and cant see them unless you look under the car)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7h9P3iYmsw

I have some doug shortys with 2.5 inch h-pipe with flowmaster delta flow 40s. Sounds great to me, pretty loud for a 302 i think. But i had a shop custom install it, and it went from the headers to the h-pipe(under the front seats), and just straight to the back, piping going over the axle and out the sides (i have them dumped and cant see them unless you look under the car)
Sounds great!

I found about a half gallon of Bondo in the "new" (junk yard) trunk lid today, so I'll be ordering a new repop trunk lid.
Sorry to here that...I feel your pain.

Oh happy day! My Summit delivery is here! I can't wait to start putting it together...all the parts seem to be a match and I should have all the parts. I'm ready to rock!

Thanks for everyone's help! Vroom! Vroom!

Exhaust system 1.jpg

Exhaust system.jpg

Exhaust tip.jpg

John

Back