Need Help - Suspect I'm missing parts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
65 Mustang
72 Mustang Fastback
Our 72 Fastback (Non Mach 1) has been apart for many years and I am having trouble remembering everything. I have a few questions:

1. Behind the rear bumper

- Does this model/Yr use the angle sheet metal bumper trim cover

located behind the bumper that spans the width of the taillight panel?

- The replacement quarter panels have two holes on each side behind

the bumper. I believe these holes are specific to the ’73 models only,

but would like confirmation.

2. Front bumper

- We are planning to use a chrome bumper, which the car originally

came with. I know we need to buy the bumper & brackets, but pictures

making me believe there is a sheet metal bumper cover that spans the

width of the car under the bumper. Am I correct?

Any ideas where I can these sheet metal covers a new/used?

Our 72 Fastback (Non Mach 1) has been apart for many years and I am having trouble remembering everything. I have a few questions:

1. Behind the rear bumper

- Does this model/Yr use the angle sheet metal bumper trim cover

located behind the bumper that spans the width of the taillight panel?

- The replacement quarter panels have two holes on each side behind

the bumper. I believe these holes are specific to the ’73 models only,

but would like confirmation.

2. Front bumper

- We are planning to use a chrome bumper, which the car originally

came with. I know we need to buy the bumper & brackets, but pictures

making me believe there is a sheet metal bumper cover that spans the

width of the car under the bumper. Am I correct?

Any ideas where I can these sheet metal covers a new/used?
I recommend that you get a parts car. Find a complete car, does not have to run, can be rusty beyond all comprehension, just make sure it is complete.

These can be found for $1000.00 or less all day long on Craigslist.

Nothing is nicer than having all the little clips and connectors and most likely when you are done you can sell your leftovers for what you have in the parts car.

I just looked at a 72 Grande for a whopping $600.00 but passed because the "it has every option available in 1972 " car did not have any options.

I was hoping for Tilt, PW's, intermittent wiper, AM/FM 8 Track, guages, you know "every option available in 1972". I drove 3 hours one way with an empty car trailer to bask in the rusted glow of a standard interior, no a/c, coupe. Oh well.

This car was very rusty but complete. The 3 speed manual Z bar, pedals, clutch set up would get you most of the way to your money back. It also had a very nice blue console. If I did not already have a parts car and was not so "pleased" at being misled I still would have bought this car.

Happy New Year to all!

- Paul

Edit:

Found this one with little or no effort:

http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/4260193806.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The metal strip under the rear bumber is a 73 only part. The 73 bumper set about an inch further from the tailight panel. (By having longer bumper brackets. The holes in the quarter are 73 only, they were to hold rubber filler cups, to make up for the added clearance mentioned above. All this was for government mandated crash requirements. On to the front, there is a metal piece behind the bumper. The bumper arms hold this, then the bumper mounts to it.

Judge,

Saw this comment you made...

"The metal strip under the rear bumper is a 73 only part"

I have a 73 but have no idea what part you are referring to...could you explain or do you have a a pic? I want to see if I am missing and need to get.

Thanks

Jeff

Judge,

Saw this comment you made...

"The metal strip under the rear bumper is a 73 only part"

I have a 73 but have no idea what part you are referring to...could you explain or do you have a a pic? I want to see if I am missing and need to get.

Thanks

Jeff
Jeff,

I can get you a picture of this later today. It's a pretty small piece, about an inch and a half wide and installs to the rear of the car. If looking down at your bumper you can see the ground between the bumper and the car, you're missing it, else you have it.

Here is a pic of the strip installed before I put the bumper on. The strip covers the gap that you would see between the bumper and rear panel if it was not there. This is only on a 73 as far as I know.

-jbojo

IMG_2494.JPG

jbojo and mecheng...thanks much.

I do not have that strip on my car and don't ever remember seeing it on ebay or at parts suppliers. Is it plastic and do you know part number or what it is called so I can start the search for one.

Jeff

Here is a pic of the strip installed before I put the bumper on. The strip covers the gap that you would see between the bumper and rear panel if it was not there. This is only on a 73 as far as I know.

-jbojo

jbojo and mecheng...thanks much.

I do not have that strip on my car and don't ever remember seeing it on ebay or at parts suppliers. Is it plastic and do you know part number or what it is called so I can start the search for one.

Jeff

-jbojo
Its a thin L shaped piece of sheet metal with mounting studs that attaches to the rear tail panel. I don't think that part is repro'd yet so you need to get it off a donor car. I am sure that Don at OMS should have it. It mounts with acorn nuts from inside of the trunk.

-jbojo

Jeff,

I was just at the pick a part auto yard in Ontario. They have a 73 there that still has this piece intact and in good condition. You could snag it

eju9uhys.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great pictures guys. Jeff if your metal piece is missing, most likely you are missing the rubber ends that bolt into the quarters. Might want to search them together. Also the bumper brackets are deeper on a 73. You may need them also.

Well...thanks a bunch guys. I showed up at the pick a part when they opened this morning and was able to get this rust free piece from a 73. Still had the original paint on it. All for $10!

Jeff

ilx1t1.jpg

could have missed it.... but the 72 may have the same metal piece in the front as my 71. they run between the left and right front fenders...ties in the center piece or hood latch assembly ...no one makes the part due to crashes it is hard to find I had to pay 150.00 for one piece of metal!!!

Back