led taillights installed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

OK, I know some won't approve of this modification (I'm thinking Mike may wrinkle his nose at this...) but I pulled the trigger anyway.

My stock lights were so dim and slow to blink and brighten up when brakes applied that it not only made it look anemic, but it was a little difficult to see in traffic.

These new lights are fantastic! Much brighter than stock, and they "brighten up" when braking or blinking fast and authoratatively. Far better visibility than stock.

Plus, the center lense lights red too!

The reverse lights still shine through white when on. I didn't get a picture of that.

The pictures pretty much show an accurate representation of how they look. I wish the light was a little more "diffused", but it looks good this way too.

It takes only about 10 minutes per light to install the kit, and nothing is changed or modified about the stock pieces. It is 100% plug and play.

It could be changed back to stock very easily and quickly.

They offered it in a sequential style (with all three lenses lighting across sequentially) or a standard non-sequential style.

I got the non-sequential style: To me, the classic Mustang should not be sequential...thats for T-Birds, Cougars and Shelbys.

I got the kit from CJ Pony Parts for about $190. I missed the sale by about 3 days, so if you get them now you can maybe save a few bucks.

zpfile000.jpg

zpfile002.jpg

zpfile003.jpg

zpfile004.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good.

Just a thought on the "diffused" issue. Could the diffused look be achieved by sandwiching a thin acrylic glass in between the LEDs and the taillight lens? That acrylic glass would have to be sanded on one side with an orbital sander (or something that will not leave unidirectional scratches) to make it opaque.

That should actually diffuse the light a little. I just don't remember if there is room to sandwich it in. It's been some time since I last took my taillight assemblies apart.

I did this for my white turn signals/parking lights lenses in the front lower valance and it works fine.

Oh, and Kit, please post the link, so we don't order the wrong part by mistake. :)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, that is the one.

Looks good.

Just a thought on the "diffused" issue. Could the diffused look be achieved by sandwiching a thin acrylic glass in between the LEDs and the taillight lens? That acrylic glass would have to be sanded on one side with an orbital sander (or something that will not leave unidirectional scratches) to make it opaque.

That should actually diffuse the light a little. I just don't remember if there is room to sandwich it in.
I'm thinking the same. There is sufficient room in each lense for a suitable diffuser "plug".

I was trying to think what could be used. I put several layers of wax paper in one just to see what it looked like and it made no difference at all.

Any insert would have to be VERY opaque and I'm wondering how much light it would then allow to pass.

But I think you are on the right track.

Last edited:
Kit, can you comment on what the put on the back of the circuit board to protect the exposed contacts? From the pictures it looks like they threw a few pieces of clear packing tape over it to seal it up. I'd expect a little better for something I'm paying $188 for.

The curcuit boards appear to be covered pretty nice and thick with some clear spray sealer of some kind.

The light assemblies are taken apart...very easy. The white buckets are easily pried loose from the lense/bezel/gasket assembly. Only about a two minute job to get apart once removed from the car. This is the opportune time to replace bad taillight gaskets.

The circuit boards are inside the light assemblies, so there will be no more moisture or contamination getting to them than what would normally get to the bulb and sockets on a stock set-up.

Its a pretty simple and straightforward set-up. Everything about the whole deal ends up looking 100% stock, inside the trunk and outside...except the actual illuminated lights. There is no wiring modifications at all, they simply plug into your existing taillight pigtails.

I did install an electronic turn-signal flasher ($6.95 from Advance), but I never tried them with the old stock OEM "thermal" flasher, so I am not sure if that was even totally necessary. I just figured to do it anyway...what's an extra $7.00 gonna' hurt?

Very NICE, Kit!

I just "pulled the trigger" for a set for "Ice" (my '73 Grande).

Thinking about getting one for "Fire' (my '73 Mach 1) but will hold off until after the install on "Ice."

Thanks for sharing:)!

BT

Looks awesome, Kit! ::thumb::

I'm a believer in the kit now. I think I'll be putting this on my list of parts I still need to order, so the stock tail lights will be extra awesome.

Once I get my cool '2012' lenses from Obsidian, I'll probably go with a completely new solution to light those (hopefully TheJ will have something ready by then as well).

Looks awesome, Kit! ::thumb::

I'm a believer in the kit now. I think I'll be putting this on my list of parts I still need to order, so the stock tail lights will be extra awesome.

Once I get my cool '2012' lenses from Obsidian, I'll probably go with a completely new solution to light those (hopefully TheJ will have something ready by then as well).

Eric, you won't need those lenses to have the brite outlined look - new LED stuff is coming soon - wink wink.

Here are some pix of the reverse lights "in action!"

The beauty of this kit is that all three lenses light up red during park, brake and turn-signal functions, yet the reverse lights also light up white when needed.

And, the reverse lights are far brighter than the stock units.

zpfile000.jpg

zpfile001.jpg

Back