The Ad that changed my life!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
For what it's worth, I finally found all the documentation pertaining to the purchase of my mustang ... (including the original "JUST CARS" SEPT 2003 edition)

pictured below (page 71)...

36_01_05_14_9_11_22.jpeg

I looked at the picture about 10 times and then asked the SWMBO if I can buy it? It took several hours of hostile negotiations to convince her, but the following morning, a phone call was made to hold the car until I (we) fly up to see it. The rest is history.

Together with the lost docs was this Marti report which I'm posting as well.

36_01_05_14_9_08_42.jpeg

I'd be interested to see others newspaper or magazine adds for a car they bought because of it ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Errr I bought mine on here yesterday :)

I've been after one for over 20 years, I helped restore one when I was a teenager, I owned over 300 cars, but not one 71-73 Mustang out of respect for the builder of the first one Dave Morris. Smooth Torquer it was called and it won a LOT of trophies in the Uk.

I hit a massive wave of nostalgia on my 39th birthday and decided to find the original ST, to cut a long story short I did and he wanted $25,000 for it and with all the import fees and duties it would have pushed the price way over $30k, which is too much for an ex six banger Grande, (actually I wonder about the Grande bit now? may well have been a basic six) Along the way I managed to find my old mate Dave, who I lost touch with after I left the little town in Wales I grew up in, and he suggested I build another one, as ST is absolutely nothing like its old self anyway!

I sort of rolled up on here seeking advice, as all the Mustangs are way to expensive in NZ, and I bought one off one of the people who said hello on my introduction. Impulsive? me? He seemed a nice dude, I liked the car as soon as I saw it, and he took a video of it running for me, so I just bought it, and soon it will be in a container on its way to NZ.

anyway here's the ad :) http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-for-sale-73-non-mach-1-fastback

Luke, those guy knew their Harleys back to front...selling muscle cars was a side business. They had a nice busy corner location so nothing lasted long!

We flew up early in the morning, I checked out the car thoroughly for rust mainly, it was a bit sloppy, just needed TLC... I sent my wife in with a price to haggle down to while I sat in the car, day dreaming. In the mean time, at least 10 people had stopped to come and see it and asked me if it was for sale ... I said it's sold!

At this stage, I had no idea whether it was mine or not! But after looking for 3 years for one, I wasn't about to let this one go..

About an hour later, the Mrs came out, smiled and said, congratulations, it's yours! Boy was I euphoric! I was buzzing in the plane all the way home...

Apart from Mike, the owner, all the others were nice guys, just rough as guts! Hehe

Great story I like the thought of you turning away potential buyers of your car :) Yep ruff and then some. I liked to think of them as aggressive free marketeers. The more they got aggressive the freer the market lol

Cool that you saved the ad! You can frame that up with the Marti report.

I bought mine from a friend back in 74, so no ad involved.

Saw my car first on ebay, buy-it-now for AU$18,500, also found it was advertised on a web-site by a guy who had about twenty other American cars for sale.

Shot down to Melbourne the next day to have a look at it. When the seller pulled back the car-cover I pretty much knew straight away it was going to be mine. It was an ex-California car. Checked it over, it had been painted and had the interior redone, but apart from that it was unrestored yet had no rust at all. Even the cowl vents were solid original condition which I had never believed possible in an unrestored early Mustang

So put a deposit on it, then paid a mate from work to pick it up a few days later on his tray-truck. Spent another couple of months bringing the mechanicals up to scratch and getting an engineer to sign off that it complied to Australian Design Rules of 1972, then I was on the road and cruising.

The interior code on the door sticker had HB which indicated my car used to be a Sprint before being painted yellow, which was a nice surprise and explained why I had a factory Mach 1 grill and bumper.

My first love was the 1969 and 1970 fastbacks. Well I had owned a 1970 Mach 1 and I can honestly say that the '72 is twice as awesome to own than the 1970 fastback. Longer lower wider, with the most ridiculously angled back window of 'em all and body proportions that are magnificent in their impracticality! I will never sell this car.

My hat’s off to all of you who call American cars “imports”. I know how much work it is in the States to own and build an old performance car. Your dedication and devotion is impressive.

Hi Jim, see you brought yours from Supa Cars, would that have been when they were up at Moorooka. I remember when they used to be down at Annerley across from the PA Hospital. I remember back as a kid when they were called Raymond Motors and always had some of the best and nicest cars around. There would be Trans Ams, Corvettes, Mustangs and heaps of other US cars, plus Aussie cars from muscle to show cars. A good mate of mine at the time (mid 80s) was in the PA Hospital spinal unit and when he was able to be wheeled around, we would take him down there and check out the cars. A few mates brought cars from them back then and let's just say, who ever was doing their roadworthy's obviously never seen the car. I nearly bought an A9X hatch from them once, until I took it for a test drive. Let's just say that the A9X as a so called muscle car was the most unexcitable muscle car I ever drove. When they moved to Moorooka that's when they started getting into Harley's and such and they just were never the same again. It's a shame that there aren't car yards around like those any more, anyway good find on the original ad that made you want your car

Mine was a Craigslist ad in July 2010, stating something to the effect of:

"RARE! 1971 Mach 1 Mustang. Get it now because it won't last long." Along with a bunch of other wrong information and nonsense hype, including these pictures:

38150_147624075248519_1132376_n.jpg

33518_147624081915185_4742011_n.jpg

33518_147624085248518_2617683_n.jpg

33518_147624088581851_7678847_n.jpg

Must've worked... I bought it about 2 weeks later, after the price had dropped a couple hundred, and I negotiated a price drop even further since my wife found his ebay ad for another couple hundred off that.

I also don't remember anything about all the rust, seized engine, or missing keys until I actually went to see it. ;)

Hi Jim, see you brought yours from Supa Cars, would that have been when they were up at Moorooka. I remember when they used to be down at Annerley across from the PA Hospital. I remember back as a kid when they were called Raymond Motors and always had some of the best and nicest cars around. There would be Trans Ams, Corvettes, Mustangs and heaps of other US cars, plus Aussie cars from muscle to show cars. A good mate of mine at the time (mid 80s) was in the PA Hospital spinal unit and when he was able to be wheeled around, we would take him down there and check out the cars. A few mates brought cars from them back then and let's just say, who ever was doing their roadworthy's obviously never seen the car. I nearly bought an A9X hatch from them once, until I took it for a test drive. Let's just say that the A9X as a so called muscle car was the most unexcitable muscle car I ever drove. When they moved to Moorooka that's when they started getting into Harley's and such and they just were never the same again. It's a shame that there aren't car yards around like those any more, anyway good find on the original ad that made you want your car
Correct on all counts...

Here's the full add:

36_04_05_14_7_57_21.jpeg

Yes, as Luke has also mentioned, they were shifty as shithouse rats.

PS, the Cobra coupe was already sold when I arrived, but Mick had a beautiful white cougar convertible with red interior for sale for 21k.

Back