Is this for real?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several things wrong on that car:

1) Front spolier

2) Rear spoiler

3) Stripes incorrect: never installed on a car with rockers and fender trim, and never installed on a car without the "mach 1" style front end.

4) ram air hood with wrong shape and wrong color on tutone. Also no hood pins, which were always included with ram-air or the Tutone hood paint (in 73 only)

As far as the color...big deal. Ford would have painted any car, truck or van any color you wanted out of thier "fleet color" book, which has literally thousands of different shades of every color. You simply had to order it that way and pay extra for it.

It might make it "one of one", but anyone could have ordered it that way. It certainly is not a "special edition" color or anything like that.

Last edited:
Kit spelled it out and I agree. But those bumperettes or bumper horns - not sure they are correct for 72. Iyman might chime in on this one as he knows about those... I'm sure there are others to (Don at Ohio Mustang Supply) just remember him talking about them.

Ray

Frank Cone made some real special editions i tell ya, wonder where the've been hiding all these years.

Edit: jokes aside, purple and all. i'd drive it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Frank Cone made some real special editions i tell ya, wonder where the've been hiding all these years.

It would go awesome with a purple pimp suit. rofl

It would go awesome with a purple pimp suit. rofl
Hell yeah!! Ha Ha. Not sure what the wife would say though.:huh:

Kit spelled it out and I agree. But those bumperettes or bumper horns - not sure they are correct for 72. Iyman might chime in on this one as he knows about those... I'm sure there are others to (Don at Ohio Mustang Supply) just remember him talking about them.

Ray
Optional 71-2 bumper guards - nothing special - just an option

Except for the bumper guards( that I removed on mine) that is one very cool vert!

As close to a plum crazy Mopar as they come. :)

Kit is correct about what's incorrect on the purple convertible. Overall, though, I think it's a nice looking car. I'd prefer the color to be just a bit darker, more like Plymouth's infamous "Plum Crazy", and in that case, I'd have done the striping and two-tone hood in argent rather than black. And with that white interior? Yummy!

The bumper guards are correct for '71 and '72 cars. They are known within the Mustang hobby as "high protection guards" because they stick up above the bumpers. On '73 cars, they are known as "low protection guards" because they hang down below the rear bumper. Front guards were not installed on '71-'72 models that were equipped with urethane front bumpers, and they were not used at all in '73 because all models had urethane front bumpers. In all three years, the bumper guards are part of an option package known as the "Protection Group", which also included body side moldings that were stainless steel with rubber inserts (for door ding protection). These were not installed on Mach 1s or other models with side stripes because they interfered with the placement of the stripes.

FORDially,

Dean [/align]

as an owner of one of those limited color cars Ford just threw out there as a run of the mill low production number different color. I would challenge you that a 351 Boss or 429 is a different motor or tranny is not really special either ...just different. "its just an option" .... but it happens to be the option YOU like or want.

Example my numbers matching (which is a farse comment on a FORD) Mach I is nothing more than a fastback body with fancy stripes, cool gauges, and some spoilers a few badges ....just OPTIONS!!! MY Chevelle SS.... again just some bucket seats a faster motor and a hand full of different badges ....WOOO WEE its' SPECIAL! per the comments here...nothing special just options.... but I was paid 10,000.00 more for those handfuls of "JUST OPTIONS".

I would be willing to be most of you could walk outside and find several other houses built the SAME floor plan as your DIFFERENT and ONE OF A KIND house?

Personally I think that car does have a unique character and none of us has one like it that was "factory" produced.

The car started out as a really interesting and unique painted Mustang. To me - it looses some of its 'special' or 'different' status when things are added that take it away from its original configuration. Just a little. It remains a car that was special ordered to be painted a unique color. -Just a little altered from original. Interesting to see the Marti.

Ray

Agree with rpmcarter....

I would hazard a guess and say all cars which roll off a mass production line are in the same boat...

It's always only ever been just options. They can't build it slower or more carefully or hide screws, etc...

That part of the design stage was worked out years before hand.

Now, if I buy a brand new mustang, take it to rolls Royce and ask them to dismantle it and rebuild it to their standards ...how much of the original parts will I have left that was already to their standard...None!

To me the Boss, the scj, etc, will always be special and very sought after.... Something plays on the psyche with stuff like this...

They'll always be worth more than the sum of the parts...(or options)...

Dana

Example my numbers matching (which is a farse comment on a FORD)

Ford DID stamp the VIN on the body, engine and trans - so how is that a farse comment ?

If thoses number match - it is a matching numbers drivetrain.

Dana,

Your comment about your Mach 1 being "nothing more than a fastback body with fancy stripes, cool gauges, and some spoilers a few badges ....just OPTIONS!!!" is a little off. Your Mach 1, just like every other Mach 1, is identified in the VIN. The engines, transmissions, stripes, spoilers, and cool gauges, et al, are the options - the "Mach 1" designation of "05" is an actual model number.

Using that logic, the Boss 351 falls into the category as you laid it out - just a collection of options, since it's "just" a sportsroof with a VERY healthy option package. A 429 Ram Air Mach 1, is still "just" a Mach 1, but with the top-shelf engine option checked off. ;) :D

Ford wasn't too bright about that - not one of their 'better ideas.' rofl

Ray, those are the correct front bumper guards for 71- 72' with the chrome bumper, mine are in a box, due to the fact they are ugly.

sent from my Samsung SIII via TapaTalk

Ford wasn't too bright about that - not one of their 'better ideas.' rofl
That is one of my only real complaints with the '71-73's: Lack of imagination in the trim department. From far away, you can't tell a Mach 1 from a Boss 351 (with exception to the back end), and the proposed Boss 302 styling didn't differ either.

Even '72/73 Decor Group cars emulated the stripeless '71 Mach paint job.

I don't have anything against the one stripe kit that we did wind up with - it's perfectly suited to the car - but it would have been interesting to see a few more well-executed ideas.

-Kurt

Back