WIDE-BODY KIT FROM SCRATCH

Welcome from West Virginia! Nice work, but I am more a purist and that car looked great to start with. I have a wrecked 73 that might end up a restomod now that they released front frame rail assemblies. I love Obsidian71's taillights and it would fit your car perfect. I guess I am in the minority though as far as thinking that the 71-73 rearend is one of the best looking ones Ford has done. Seems all others are just an afterthought.

The big shoulders on the rear of the car and the tail lights are the reason i went looking for a 71-73 in the first place. Not to say that the stock lines on this car aren't sexy but the mods I'm making are the areas that i felt just weren't me.

• 2 weeks later...

When I saw this post I wasn't expecting high quality work like this because I have never seen it done, or posted on a forum.. I will be watching this thread, this is amazing. Can't wait to see more pics!

+1 not what I was expecting! Wide body 71-73s bring to mind some image of a funky ole drag car or those fiberglass panels Kurt can't seem to give away in the "pay it forward" section.

The level of craftsmanship put into this is sure to result in an amazing work of art. Thread should be "wide body done right!"

As one with a preference for the more "period correct" mods, I gotta say I like what you're doing! This is going VERY well, and you've got some mad skillz! ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

First time looking at this thread. I agree...not what I was expecting but totally awesome! Welcome from Coastal Alabama. Be sure to add a pin to our Member Map located under the "Fun Stuff" tab at the top of the page.

With your permission I would like to move this thread to our Build forum.

spacer.png

I'm more of a purist but love mods too. I love the how you're making the side body line pronounced along the sail panel. I've always thought the car would have looked just slightly better if that lined had not went up behind the rear side window but continued on to the back. So the side body line would run from front to rear. Like the Pantera line does or 71-73 Cougar. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. What's the expected additional weight from the body kit once completed. ?

When I saw this post I wasn't expecting high quality work like this because I have never seen it done, or posted on a forum.. I will be watching this thread, this is amazing. Can't wait to see more pics!

+1 not what I was expecting! Wide body 71-73s bring to mind some image of a funky ole drag car or those fiberglass panels Kurt can't seem to give away in the "pay it forward" section.

The level of craftsmanship put into this is sure to result in an amazing work of art. Thread should be "wide body done right!"

As one with a preference for the more "period correct" mods, I gotta say I like what you're doing! This is going VERY well, and you've got some mad skillz! ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

First time looking at this thread. I agree...not what I was expecting but totally awesome! Welcome from Coastal Alabama. Be sure to add a pin to our Member Map located under the "Fun Stuff" tab at the top of the page.

With your permission I would like to move this thread to our Build forum.

SURE SOUNDS GOOD

I'm more of a purist but love mods too. I love the how you're making the side body line pronounced along the sail panel. I've always thought the car would have looked just slightly better if that lined had not went up behind the rear side window but continued on to the back. So the side body line would run from front to rear. Like the Pantera line does or 71-73 Cougar. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. What's the expected additional weight from the body kit once completed. ?

Seeing as how the front bumper, front apron and spoiler as well as the hood will all be replaced with light weight fibreglass and the mostly aluminum 347 motor, and TKO tranny, are lighter than stock replacements, the front of the car should be lighter than stock. As far as the rear of the car goes, the quarters, end caps, trunk lid, bumper and lower apron will all also be light weight fibreglass but i expect that those pieces would be pretty much a wash. We are about two weeks away from taking moulds off the car. Hood is already made. looks great. im very happy. Closed off the original circular hood locks to give way to newer lock downs. I wont be making use of the stock hood latch so all that hardware in front of the rad is gone as well.

Welcome from Denmark! Welcome to one of the best sites ever! :)

Danm that car is cool, I love that front end, looks really cool. What wheels are you planning to run on it?

Regards Daniel from Denmark :)

Daniel ::thumb::

Pro-Touring 1973 Mustang named ''Creator'' ... :P

Under construction!!

. image.thumb.jpg.3b0d2c0c189c480fc80ba6b4ae7febb3.jpgNitto Invos on American Racing Burnouts. 315-35/20 in back and 245-45/18 up front.

Welcome from Denmark! Welcome to one of the best sites ever! :)

Danm that car is cool, I love that front end, looks really cool. What wheels are you planning to run on it?

Regards Daniel from Denmark :)

image.thumb.jpg.d1a05a5f5a0b7f29e10de5f968688375.jpgThis is the 29" tall rear tire next to the 25-1/2" stock tire that I got the car with.

Really nice wheel, I like them! That wheel was actually the one I wanted on my Mustang, but the price was to high here in Denmark, so I have made a deal with Bonspeed instead.

I like that front so much. How many hours have you spent on it? What did you use to make the front valance, fiberglass or steel? :)

• Like 1

Under construction!!

Really nice wheel, I like them! That wheel was actually the one I wanted on my Mustang, but the price was to high here in Denmark, so I have made a deal with Bonspeed instead.

I like that front so much. How many hours have you spent on it? What did you use to make the front valance, fiberglass or steel? :)

image.thumb.jpg.6fc4084b63eb5d75c2610f457dcdd50f.jpg

I have no idea on the hours. The design was done back in December and it took me about a week to lay out the lines and then another week to skin it in cardboard and resin. After that it probably has another 50 hrs in shaping with fiberglass filler and now priming and blocking. This shot is from this morning. It's all being made in glass so that it can be reproduced and sold to anyone who wants one.

Sounds like a lot of hours, but in the end I think it's all worth it. When do you expect to be finish with the car?

I've allways dreamed of a custom made 71-73 mustang like yours. I have a 73 Sportroof project I'm working on right now and trying to do some modifications to the body to. I am trying to build everything in steel, it's not as easy to work with as the fiberglass are. :D I made some rear quarter corners in steel and welded them into the body and build a new rear bumper in steel to, but it was to difficult to make it look good, so I cut it of again. What a waste of time. :D So now I have to some up with a new idea and a new way to go.

Maybe I should try to make it in fiberglass like you are doing, seems to be a nice idea.

What are your idea with the paint? :)

Under construction!!

Sounds like a lot of hours, but in the end I think it's all worth it. When do you expect to be finish with the car?

I've allways dreamed of a custom made 71-73 mustang like yours. I have a 73 Sportroof project I'm working on right now and trying to do some modifications to the body to. I am trying to build everything in steel, it's not as easy to work with as the fiberglass are. :D I made some rear quarter corners in steel and welded them into the body and build a new rear bumper in steel to, but it was to difficult to make it look good, so I cut it of again. What a waste of time. :D So now I have to some up with a new idea and a new way to go.

Maybe I should try to make it in fiberglass like you are doing, seems to be a nice idea.

What are your idea with the paint? :)

Steel is really nice and it can be difficult when your making complex curves but fibreglass is a whole other animal that can also be tricky. I have two very skilled people that are coaching me and taking on a lot of the work. Fibreglass shaping, in a refined way, and mould making is not something I'm capable of. Design in is what I'm good at. As for paint, I have an idea of where I'm going but I haven't committed yet so there is nothing to tell till all the car is primed and I can see the body lines and the car will let me know what colour it wants to be. Lol.

Yes it can be really tricky.. Sounds nice with the people who is teaching you with their skills. I have my dad to teach me to fabricate in steel, he can make the most incredible things.. It's good to have some people who can teach out of theirs knowledge.

You are right with the paint, it's not easy to decide.. There are to many colors! But as you say, when the car is primed and you sit down and look at the body lines, then you know which color you have to paint it in.

Good luck with the project. I am looking forward to see more pictures! :)

Under construction!!

All I can say is wow! Don't know how I missed this thread and when I first started reading it like everyone else....it wasn't what I thought. Keep up the great work.

BTW I'm just down the QEW if you ever want to meet and have a cold one.

1_14_01_12_10_54_29.png

Ken

73 Convertible 302-4v-3spd yellow /white int

08 Bullitt 4.6-5 spd black/black int

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=327]Visit My Garage[/button]

All I can say is wow! Don't know how I missed this thread and when I first started reading it like everyone else....it wasn't what I thought. Keep up the great work.

BTW I'm just down the QEW if you ever want to meet and have a cold one.

Thanks Ken. Maybe catch you at the Saturday cruise night. Send me a private message with your cell or email and we will hook up.

image.thumb.jpg.a7250ae574c544661d2f741a2b7635b7.jpgFront end just needs a fine blocking and it's ready for taking a mold. Three pieces in all plus the hood.

image.thumb.jpg.b4fc56ec60e589edd6e319629ac77c2d.jpgA possible direction on colour combination.

image.jpg.1e9b09e5ed975eb808b274a3c2510e0c.jpg Compared to stock.

Black is cool and it would be nice with that red stripe on the side of the body! :)

Under construction!!

image.jpg.1546a966ed5ab11e7b88ab87ba745a3d.jpgThat image is more about the red in the tire than the paint colour for the car. I like black but it would hide too much of the body mods. The colour would be more like this gunmetal.

image.thumb.jpg.e38d991b020216cbc1e0a12f902a9288.jpgVery close to what I'm looking for. Want to give the car a "Hot Wheels" red line tire feel. Old school with a twist, like the rest of the build.

image.thumb.jpg.0b0cda2b6a81890001067ed0696880d0.jpg

dude that black and red is sick!!!!

It's crazy how good it looks but it was a colour I said I wouldn't do. Looks killer with the interior. Gonna be a tough call but we are months away from it being a decision.

image.jpg.2f6a3859fcbd1719e19217c277e7df57.jpgFeels like the Boss, always liked that look.

The black would look cool. I dont think it would hide all the mods, the black is a nice color, if it's done right. My plan for know are to paint mine in black, it's totally mean!

I know this is not a Mustang, but this bad ass Chevelle from Fesler is just awesome in black! This is the way I want to go with mine :)

I just want to share it with you :)

image.jpg.8a381bcc6133aaa0677716be854c0cc4.jpg

image.jpg.2d4b91b2314d674c1017054bdaec4951.jpg

image.jpg.d72d4ea414ce723279c4f61efa85ed2d.jpg

Under construction!!

That does look mean. I might get my head around black. I think the only thing holding me back is that it is not atypical. Bin done many times on countless mustangs. I'm looking for unique. But man does that black look good. Lol.

I think your car is going to be unique what ever color you paint it in :) But I do understand you, it has to be something really special, I have it on the same way..

Yes that black is just nice, all the chrome on the car is brushed.. Those effects together is unique for me, really like the look.. :)

Under construction!!

I think your car is going to be unique what ever color you paint it in :) But I do understand you, it has to be something really special, I have it on the same way..

Yes that black is just nice, all the chrome on the car is brushed.. Those effects together is unique for me, really like the look.. :)

Even though Black was the first colour I said no too, I think I'm going to go with it. Really tough choice picking a colour. Says everything.

Even though Black was the first colour I said no too, I think I'm going to go with it. Really tough choice picking a colour. Says everything.

Mine would be burnt orange or lime green. Black is so hard to keep clean. Looks perfect for the 3 minutes after it is washed and then it is time to wash again. Pewter is also a great looking color that is easy to maintain.

Bright lime 72 Mach 1 with 351C 4V, with summit 600 carb(have a Holley too), Edelbrock dual-plane manifold, Hooker headers, 3 inch exhaust with flowmasters, 17 inch Eleanor wheels, FMX tranny, A/C, P/S, front disks and 350 rear gear. Drive it to work every day.

Me too, I have allways thought that when you build a custom car you had to choose a crazy color for it. But after I found this Chevelle I changed my mind too. It just looks so clean and nice :)

Mine would be burnt orange or lime green. Black is so hard to keep clean. Looks perfect for the 3 minutes after it is washed and then it is time to wash again. Pewter is also a great looking color that is easy to maintain.

I will agree with you, the black is a difficult color to keep clean compared to the pewter/silver metallic. But then we can spent more time together with the car :D

Under construction!!