My 73 Mustang Marti Report

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible 302
I have a couple of questions...my car has a factory AM-FM Stereo Radio. Possibly a dealer install? Also a digital clock...not sure about that either. The other thing is the "bumper rub strips", what are those?

Here is the clock:

2niabmr.jpg

I have a couple of questions...my car has a factory AM-FM Stereo Radio. Possibly a dealer install? Also a digital clock...not sure about that either. The other thing is the "bumper rub strips", what are those?

Here is the clock:

2niabmr.jpg
Nice car

You can see the bumper rub strips on my 73. No digital clock then, someone must have added it.

IMG_1684.JPG

Interesting. "Basic" order. I've seen "Stock," "Retail," and "Fleet," but never basic. Anyone know what that is?

-Kurt

Kurt...here you go.

Retail – an individual comes to a dealership and orders an as yet unbuilt vehicle

Stock – a dealer orders a vehicle to have available for display at his/her location

Basic – Ford has excess capacity on an assembly line and produces vehicles to keep the plant busy

Interesting. "Basic" order. I've seen "Stock," "Retail," and "Fleet," but never basic. Anyone know what that is?

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I am confused! So I have read in many places that there were 133,867 Mustangs made in 1973. My VIN shows mine is the 145,680th made. (245,680) How can this be? The VIN for the first mustang in 73 is 100,001, correct? Am I missing something?

The VIN sequence included other Ford makes/models as well as the Mustang.

I am confused! So I have read in many places that there were 133,867 Mustangs made in 1973. My VIN shows mine is the 145,680th made. (245,680) How can this be? The VIN for the first mustang in 73 is 100,001, correct? Am I missing something?

The VIN sequence included other Ford makes/models as well as the Mustang.

Awesome, thanks Jeff!

Very nice car. Not rare in its won right but the fact that it has been kept so close to how it was originally equipped - that makes it rare.

As others have mentioned...

bumper rub strips - can't remember seeing those on any car other than a 73. Vertical bars with rubber were also on some 71 and 72's, but I don't think the ones with the strips - strps were bolted onto the bumper.

That clock was definitely added later - in your high-res pics you can see glue and touch up paint where it was installed. Doesn't look bad just not original to your car.

The AM-FM was most likely came from another car.

If a customer wanted to change the radio setup on a new car the dealer commonly sent the car to an outside vendor who offered a 'package' for the customer just as trim shops would add vinyl roofs, etc. The cost of a Ford factory radio did not allow near as much profit as an outside vendor would offer.

Money means everything to a dealer. My father was in the car business for many years.

But...

Any owner could go to the dealer's parts counter and order a factory radio and either install it himself or hire a radio shop to have them install.

One big problem with that scenario - back then the factory radios were poor performers as compared to the aftermarket radios. This continued for a long time. I bought and installed a Pioneer Supertuner for the convertible back in 1977 and would have never traded it for any factory radio. Now I'm going back with a factory radio. :)

Ray

Back