• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

351 cleveland 4v heads

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALLWELD488

Reaction score
My Car
1972 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE
Im lookimg for a pair of closed chamber heads 4v for my 351 cleveland, if you have some you can part with let me know, just looking to increase in hp alittle and im sure this is the fastest way by getting rid of my 2v heads.

Im lookimg for a pair of closed chamber heads 4v for my 351 cleveland, if you have some you can part with let me know, just looking to increase in hp alittle and im sure this is the fastest way by getting rid of my 2v heads.
Every set I find that is worth owning are overpriced and most have been destroyed (ported wrong or cracked). Maybe I need to update my notions on prices. They will increase the power more than a little if you match the other components to the 4V head capabilities. Good luck on the hunt. Chuck

Yes the cheapest i have found is $600, I already have the 4v intake on this motor now so i will just need the exhaust manifolds I THINK, unless there is something else im missing.

Yes the cheapest i have found is $600, I already have the 4v intake on this motor now so i will just need the exhaust manifolds I THINK, unless there is something else im missing.
The stock 2V cam won't support the 4V heads. Which 4V intake do you have?

Chuck

its a 1970

is there any sugestions on a good cam choice, i would still want to run on pump gas 93 so is there anything i will need to do to these 70-71 4v close chambered heads to run 93? i also have an fmx tranny so i would need to keep my vacuum up alittle.

Last edited by a moderator:
its a 1970

is there any sugestions on a good cam choice, i would still want to run on pump gas 93 so is there anything i will need to do to these 70-71 4v close chambered heads to run 93? i also have an fmx tranny so i would need to keep my vacuum up alittle.
You are lucky to have 93 octane. only 91 here but, no ethanol. How mild or wild do you want this to be? What rear gear and stall speed? What piston will you be using? The Static Compression ratio and cam characteristics interact to arrive at a Dynamic Compression Ratio that gives some indication as to how well the engine will tolerate pump gas. There is a lot of effort involved in doing this if you want to end up with a near optimum combination of parts. Go slow, do the homework/research, verify what you think you know or are told, and find the most reputable machine shop that has experience building Clevelands. Don't use the low buck stock rebuilder. Chuck

I have a set of stripped open chamber 4V castings I would sell for 275.00 plus actual shipping. They were on my car when I bought it and I had them stripped as I would never reuse stock valves in a Cleveland. Ready to build if you or anyone else is interested send me a PM for a picture or two.

Open chamber heads work pretty damn well when compression ratios are correct and will generally result in about a 1/2 point lower compression than closed chamber heads. In a hi power build they may allow a bit more rpm as a result of better flow from less valve shrouding-but we are talking about power levels that a street car will never need or even want.

You are lucky to have 93 octane. only 91 here but, no ethanol. How mild or wild do you want this to be? What rear gear and stall speed? What piston will you be using? The Static Compression ratio and cam characteristics interact to arrive at a Dynamic Compression Ratio that gives some indication as to how well the engine will tolerate pump gas. There is a lot of effort involved in doing this if you want to end up with a near optimum combination of parts. Go slow, do the homework/research, verify what you think you know or are told, and find the most reputable machine shop that has experience building Clevelands. Don't use the low buck stock rebuilder. Chuck
Chuck, your comment about dynamic compression ratios got me to do something I've thought about, and that is to post a spreadsheet that calculates some engine stuff, including static and dynamic compression ratios. It's at:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-engine-and-compression-calculations

SANY0067.JPGSANY0074.JPGSANY0069.JPG

I have a set of 4v open heads that were done by a machine shop and are still wrapped in newspaper; never installed. I got them with a car I bought about 5 years ago. I don't know what as done to them. Could be a top of the line ported and polished job or a plain jane job. If I knew what to look for, I could tell you.

Well, I have found a set and went and bought them today, now to take them in for machine work next week.thanks everyone.

Back